Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Jan 1, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #3,107 of 7,509

Quote:

WoW! what a big water hoze you'l have there! I have one either in my garden! lol   
wink_face.gif

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #3,108 of 7,509

Quote:
^ is that a switchcraft connector?  whats the yellow thing? just decoration?

nice headphone stand and dap rack by the way
wink_face.gif

Maybe a water gun? 
wink_face.gif

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #3,109 of 7,509

Quote:
Gets me through the commute...

Wow! this rig will be completely perfect with the additin of a Shadow iem amp! 
wink_face.gif

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #3,110 of 7,509
my two new rigs, i just started so these aren't that great

just got the fuze and e11 today and really enjoying them, gonna get to listen to them into the new year

ive had this one for a month and really enjoy it

i dont know how to put the larger picture in so if you want to see a larger view of either one here is the direct link
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu214/emiaj123_Punky/PICT0009.png
http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu214/emiaj123_Punky/PICT0016.png

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #3,111 of 7,509
Hey slwiser, I'm really considering this set up and I'm hoping you might be able to tell me a thing or two :-D

I was wondering what the Continental v2 brings to the table in this set up? Since you're even using DT1350s, which don't need the extra umph, does the Continental v2 make them sound any better than the HP-P1 by itself? Are they lacking anything when you hook them up directly to the iPod that the HP-P1 doesn't fix? How do they sound out of the HP-P1 alone, is another amp necessary? Would another amp(RSA p-51 or something) be any better, if you had to guess :wink: Haha, if you could really tell me anything at all that you feel about this combo I'd be really happy because I've been tpying with this idea since I heard about the v2... Thanks!

Quote:
Here is my setup after getting the ALO Continental V2 along with the Fostex HP-P1 and Beyer DT1350s.  Click the image to enlarge the image.

For more pictures of my setup go here but most are not very good.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/slwiser/Portable%20setup/

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #3,113 of 7,509
Hey. I am just guessing but... When using my DT1350 with my Schiit Lyr at home that they have fuller bass than when listening with my alo rx2 and Clas combo. I would guess that the V2 may be able to flow some more current plus provide the Tubey sound that may benefit the Dt1350's. They are great cans given their size. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #3,115 of 7,509

Quote:
Hey slwiser, I'm really considering this set up and I'm hoping you might be able to tell me a thing or two :-D

I was wondering what the Continental v2 brings to the table in this set up? Since you're even using DT1350s, which don't need the extra umph, does the Continental v2 make them sound any better than the HP-P1 by itself? Are they lacking anything when you hook them up directly to the iPod that the HP-P1 doesn't fix? How do they sound out of the HP-P1 alone, is another amp necessary? Would another amp(RSA p-51 or something) be any better, if you had to guess :wink: Haha, if you could really tell me anything at all that you feel about this combo I'd be really happy because I've been tpying with this idea since I heard about the v2... Thanks!

The ALO Continental V2 brings a tube sound to the table; i.e., more sensual, emotional feeling to the sound which is very good for female vocals such as Renee Olstead, Jane Monheit, Kimiko Itoh; etc.  The HP-P1 by itself is great and  I really can't justify the ALO based on sound quality itself since the HP-P1 is very good even better than the ALO with most of the music I listen too such as dense orchestra music, classical, oriental, jazz and acoustic.  I purchased the ALO on a whim.  The HP-P1 digital filter being very subtle does its job successfully in allowing me to tune its sound for most of what I listen too.  I will keep the ALO since I do enjoy the sensual, emotional sound of those females vocals.  I guess you could also put male voices into this bag as well, Nat King Cole is done very well with the ALO.  The HP-P1 is very fast on transients thereby doing anything acoustic very well. Deep drums of oriental music, guitar strings and such are very well done.

As I have said else where, the ALO's appearance is much closer to a well done DIY amp as compared with the high end professional look of the Fostex HP-P1.  Machining marks can be seen on the casing edges of the ALO where this will not be the case with others.  The lettering on the ALO is almost billboard in size and stamped on.  I have seen with other ALO amps where I can expect the lettering to start coming off after some use whereas with other high end units such as the Fostex and Headamp units the lettering is laser etched.

Hope this addresses your questions.  

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #3,116 of 7,509

Quote:
My Christmas present to myself for another year of hard work (when you are your own boss, no one else is going to do it!)

congrats! that is indeed a nice combo.  i have the same rig and am extremely happy with it.

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #3,117 of 7,509

Quote:
Machining marks can be seen on the casing edges of the ALO where this will not be the case with others.  

i have the black v1 and i actually chose it for this very reason.  when looking at the photos on ALOs site i noticed that while the silver is somewhat more badass looking, on close examination you could tell the finish was a bit rough.  the black one, on the other hand, is painted in black enamel paint making it very smooth and almost glasslike.  i think it looks great.  

as to the sound, i really do like mine a lot but i prefer to match it with the CLAS rather than the HP-P1.  the Fostex really does want to be used on it's own as it is a complete system.  a while back i played with mixing and matching amps with both of them and this is what i settled on.  sadly it was too long ago for me to able to give a good description of the SQ differences.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #3,120 of 7,509

Used to have this settup. Its a good rig! 
I "upgraded" to the E7 from an E5 though
and my M6's broke so I'm getting VSonic GR-07s
and my clip+ headphone jack broke so I got an (in the making) iMod

But fond memories! ultraportble but I'm not too keen on how small the clip is. just seems to lack "presence".
EDIT: that's a really nice interconnect!! 
Quote:
just trying the m6 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back