Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)
Sep 18, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #1,441 of 7,509

Quote:Originally Posted by Br777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

awesome stuff. so i guess you did this all yourself?

what are the cans?

i have a suggestion if i may be so humble and imposing on your already grand rig.

on ebay (from the rope guy) you can get very thin hollow brown rope.. cotton with a bit of wax.. i used it to make some cables pictured below, and when i saw yours i just thought they would be a perfect match.. I'm not saying i would make them for you.. :wink:  but if you know how, i think they would look sweeeeeet!
the photos arent the best.. the actual color is a dark chocolate brown

The Cans are vintage crystal radio (?) ones with drivers from a pair of JVC Flats fitted in. I did use brown boot lace when I recabled the cans:

The colour here is a bit off. Thet are more of a chocolate brown like yours!

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #1,442 of 7,509

Quote:
Hi, I am one of those people. No direct comparison is necessary to get me back to WM8740 / WM8741. I tried plenty of their implementations, none is better to me than HM-602 DAC. I'd rather save my time than listen to another "yet-so-promising" Wolfson based unit. 

Yet another fan boy making sweeping generalisations without comparison
rolleyes.gif

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #1,443 of 7,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'd rather save my time than listen to another "yet-so-promising" Wolfson based unit. 

so.. by yet so promising, you must mean you've purposely ignored the massive amount of nearly %100 rave reviews the CLAS has gotten since its inception, and how its become the new staple in many high end portable rigs?     Of course that would involve ignoring the direct comparison reviews with the hifiman series vs. the CLAS/IPOD rigs as well which easily puts these two types of system in the same playing field. *ehemlikethisone* *ehem*

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,444 of 7,509

iPod Nano 1st Gen, RSA Protector & Senn IE8's (Balanced)
A pretty small rig, the Nano holds about 90 lossless tracks, usually House, R&B- bass heavy beats (although, got a  little Wilson Pickers on there atm). I reckon the IE8's & the Protector are a pretty good match- nice bass 
etysmile.gif

What LOD is that?

Is an EBay LOD, just a low profile generic dock with a hole drilled in the side and re-cabled with copper wire, sounds great!

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,449 of 7,509

Quote:
That really is a nice cable, really solid looking.
Where did you buy them?

I actually got them from a place on eBay - Shipped from Hong Kong - Mines the other (smaller) model if you scroll down at the pictures
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-LOD-Audio-Cable-7N-OFC-Male-3-5mm-3-5mm-Jack-/280625858918?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41569ac966

It is really nice and solid, whilst flexible though - Couldn't of wished for a better LOD for the price
redface.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #1,451 of 7,509

Quote:
so.. by yet so promising, you must mean you've purposely ignored the massive amount of nearly %100 rave reviews the CLAS has gotten since its inception, and how its become the new staple in many high end portable rigs?

Yes. FOTM ravings with no direct comparisons are no more interesting to me, at least for Wolfson based units :) 

Quote:
Of course that would involve ignoring the direct comparison reviews with the hifiman series vs. the CLAS/IPOD rigs as well which easily puts these two types of system in the same playing field. *ehemlikethisone* *ehem*

Of course, No. Such info is my interest, thank you for the link. It does has fair direct comparison to HM-602 - "the difference character between the two DACs (Wolfson vs Philips TDA1543) makes the Hifiman more suitable for Acoustics, Vocals and Jazz.". This conclusion from trusty reviewer is the same I've been discovering myself comparing HM-602 to numerous Wolfson sources before.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #1,452 of 7,509
Say, any day I prefer tomatoes over oranges, though I tried many of them. Should I continue to try every orange in the world to not be accused in "generalization"?

Quote:
Yet another fan boy making sweeping generalisations without comparison 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #1,453 of 7,509
Sep 19, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #1,454 of 7,509

Quote:
Say, any day I prefer tomatoes over oranges, though I tried many of them. Should I continue to try every orange in the world to not be accused in "generalization"?

LOL, that has to be the worse analogy I've ever heard.... What are you a Green Grocer?

You also completely missed the point. You can not recommend one thing over the other unless you have tried both, which you clearly haven't. Is the following statement ok for me to make?

I think that the CLAS is better than the HM-602. I haven't heard the HM-602 but the CLAS is just better.

I'm out. Can't be bothered with ignoranace.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back