Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XI]
Jul 10, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #961 of 1,377
Latest version of the portable rig: Apple Lossless -> iPod Classic 160 gb -> ALO Jumbo Cryo -> RSA Predator -> UE11 Pro
biggrin.gif

IMG_1032.jpg

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #962 of 1,377
For the Sony A72XA82X series:

DAC settings (firmware menu)
(enable "hold" switch, then while holding the menu button press:
up, up, down, down, right, left, up , down, up ,down, right, play/pause)
DAC Settings:
Bass: -0.0 @ 50Hz
Treble: -4.5 @ 15kHz

EQ Settings:
Clear Bass: +2
Equalizers: +2, -1, +1, +2, +1
DSEE, Clear Stereo: OFF
Normalizer: ON

Some have gone to -7.5 on the treb.

The EQ settings work for me and vary according to the HP you use - really cleared up the sound for me - though the slight hiss is still present.

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #963 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by mace2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Creative Zen --> PA2V2 --> SR80

2583190092_78219c7e13_o.jpg

Any upgrade suggestions?
biggrin.gif

Expect for the player this is exactly my portable rig even to the interconnect which is also the cheap store bought kind (mine's black though)

It's almost painful looking at these pics. my current budget is low, low right now so I can't buy nothing my Iaudio 7 broke so i'm using a 2gb China-made Ipod bootleg (No model name or number), my Pa2v2 (giving to me by Luckyleo, need to thank him one of these days) get a little skippy when I carry it sometimes, so once in a while I gotta hit it to knock some sense into the thing every once in a while and my Sr80 while the speakers works fine I had to do some amateur reconnectting of the wires like 20 times and now is a cosmetic mess.

Boy I can't wait for the day I can finally upgrade my rig into something like the ones on this thread, Broward, FL sure is a bad place to be an audiophile, cant find nothing here :p

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #964 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortgammon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Boy I can't wait for the day I can finally upgrade my rig into something like the ones on this thread, Broward, FL sure is a bad place to be an audiophile, cant find nothing here :p

Hang in there. The most important thing is that you enjoy whatever you have at the moment. Some people here have spent thousands of dollars and are still unhappy. After all, this should be about the music and not just the sound.

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #966 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with small players like this (and i have tested more or less all of them) is that they cost about the same, same capacities, batteyr life, and features. Without anythign to seperate them, there really only need to be one that everyone buys. Thats the clip. Its FAR(!!) better than any of the other players, and so the only reason you'd have to every buy anythign else is if you need the stones speaker, the sansa expresses microSD slot or the iriver volcano/samsungU3/sansa express' built in USB port

Or if you can get it for practically nothing like I did.
wink.gif

But on soundquality I think I have to agree with you all. I said I'd compare it to the Zen Vision:M. No comparison! Vision:M is soo much better! And so is my trusted Iriver ifp-899 flashplayer.

I always believed amping the headphone out with a modest amp like my MINT makes very little difference. But it does with the Stone. Adding an amp makes it sound close to the Vision:M again. So even simple PX100s are underpowered with the Stone.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #967 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Latest version of the portable rig: Apple Lossless -> iPod Classic 160 gb -> ALO Jumbo Cryo -> RSA Predator -> UE11 Pro
biggrin.gif

IMG_1032.jpg

This is it, dead end for the search of music bliss! probably my dream rig
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #968 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hang in there. The most important thing is that you enjoy whatever you have at the moment. Some people here have spent thousands of dollars and are still unhappy. After all, this should be about the music and not just the sound.

Agreed, I only have a 280 music collection since my first mp3 on jan 2006 so I listen to the same song over and over again and still enjoy, I could go weeks without putting anything new in, I still think my rig sounds great I'm just ready to upgrade but can't afford it and knowing that my rig is low-end makes me anticipate any upgrade, after all even if I have the world greatest rig with music I don't like I won't enjoy them much

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #969 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Nice...VERY NICE. Clean too!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Agreed, I only have a 280 music collection since my first mp3 on jan 2006 so I listen to the same song over and over again and still enjoy, I could go weeks without putting anything new in, I still think my rig sounds great I'm just ready to upgrade but can't afford it and knowing that my rig is low-end makes me anticipate any upgrade, after all even if I have the world greatest rig with music I don't like I won't enjoy them much

I think many people lose sight of that. I think it's a VERY admirable quality that you haven't. Too many people are concerned about finding a DAP that has this or that, or it doesn't have this...or, battery life, and IMO the greatest cop-out of them all "it doesn't have enough space". Honestly, who here listens to 160gb at a time BEFORE needing to swap out the music and BEFORE it needs to be recharged??? The DAP won't even play a 160gb worth of music before the battery dies, so why the heck do you need 160gb+ of space? If it's gonna get hooked to the PC or whatever to get recharged, may as well refresh your music too!

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #970 of 1,377
Quote:

I think almost everyone here wants to upgrade. It's the head-fi desease.
wink.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about your rig being low end. I have Grado RS-1s and a decent amp and CD player and sure that sounds really nice but you've already made the first BIG step. The difference from stock earbuds to my Allesandro MS-1s, simply from a headphone out, is much bigger then all the smaller steps that I made in upgrades.

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #971 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, who here listens to 160gb at a time BEFORE needing to swap out the music and BEFORE it needs to be recharged??? The DAP won't even play a 160gb worth of music before the battery dies, so why the heck do you need 160gb+ of space? If it's gonna get hooked to the PC or whatever to get recharged, may as well refresh your music too!

so to pick the album that suits the need. With my 16GB touch, to often i crave an album (or song) and i need to go to my computer to make the swap. The idea is to have your WHOLE collection on the go.

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #972 of 1,377
Which is what i love about carrying my whole collection, its so annoying wanting to hear a song and not having it on you ^

I have a 4gb D2 and 3x Adata Class6 8gb SDHC's. Would have got 16's but when i was buying the file limit was smaller and i would have hit the limit before full, then a week later cowon upped the limit so 16's were ok for me, annoying or what!

Shame i cant have all media in the player at once though, i like to put all my songs on shuffle, stick my livewires in and shut my eyes on the bus to school, so unfortunatley (currently, until they up the limit to make 32gb worth my while, if ever) i can only have 12gb on shuffle, out of ~26gb i have on the laptop and pc.

Matt

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #973 of 1,377
Updated pics of my rig:

Before (Nano sold to a fellow head-fier):

nanorig.jpg

3g Product (RED) Nano > Turbodock > Govibe Magnum > KSC-75s

After:

touchrig.jpg

32gb Touch > Lo-Pro Punnisher Dock > Stax SRM-001 > Stax SR-003

Again, I think I've found my musical nirvana in a portable. Probably my last rig as it has enough size, has geek factor, and is pretty damn portable/slim. Now I need to rebuild my home rig...damn Electrostats...

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #974 of 1,377
Do you know of any pictures of people wearing those SR-003s in their ears? I can't figure out how they'd work.

Also, how much do they leak in/out?

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #975 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know of any pictures of people wearing those SR-003s in their ears? I can't figure out how they'd work.

Also, how much do they leak in/out?

I'm curious too!! Next thread should be "Pictures of you, wearing your portable rig"
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back