Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XI]
Jul 10, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #976 of 1,377
They really just go into your ears like you would stick any IEM in there. Pull up your ear and twist it in. The flange keeps it from falling out. I took a pic with my crappy phone, but the t-mobile account is "migrating", so I can't access it. But really, it's like any iem, pull up ear, twist in to your comfort/position, and listen. It just doesn't go in deep, and the flat part becomes almost flush with your ear.

Lately, I've been using the headband. The headband is really taught, and more or less PUSHES them into your ear. But for whatever reason, it's not uncomfy. And I have SMALL ear canals.

As far as leakage, they don't leak out alot. Actually, I use them on the bus and have them turned up fairly high to overcome the bus noise, and my roomy doesn't know what I'm listening to. He can hear music, but it's too soft to know what it is, unlike Grados where somebody on the other side of the room can tell you what you're listening to.

And they let in as much as any open can does. A little less though because obviously, it's not something ON your ear, it's something IN your ear, so there's less surface area for the sound to travel in.

They synergize REALLY good with bright sources because of their darker presentation. It didn't synergize too well with my Keces unit, and frankly, sounded too dark. But with the bright and forward presentation of the touch, it's PERFECT. With it's footprint, it's almost like it was destined to happen, lol.

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #977 of 1,377
Huge improvement Ocidin
smily_headphones1.gif

I may get myslef a go-vibe petite oneday, i love my U control, its a great little usb dac/amp, but only usb powered, so a no no for portable use, which i dont need really, but i dont like the easily turned U control Hp/o volume control, im worried i will crank it up just that bit further by accident oneday...Really probably just an excuse to get a battery powered amp/dac which i could use my give-away ALO cable with, but it may be a better dac than my U control, however the u control is great for hooking up to the Pioneer reciever via optical/rca at dads and is a great way to record sound on the laptop too via RCA in...

Tempted. Imagine the D2, strapped to the Petite, and livewires, with an ALO interconnnect, and the d2 mimicking lineout
smily_headphones1.gif

When i tested a Supermacro 3 with the livewires there wasnt a huge difference with FLAC or MP3, or between the two, amped and unamped, but i had crap sources, hissy ZVM linout and laptop hp/o. Maybe the Livewires will be even better with an amp compared to just straight out of the d2's good internal amp and the ZVM lineout -> SM3 its a much better source the d2... The sm3 just reduced hiss and tightened up the bass a little with the ZVM hissy lineout and the laptop hp/o (terrible!)

Would the Petite dac be better than my usb powered DAC with inbuilt amp for its dac? Would the livewires sound much better?

I like to carry all my music so 96 -> 320k MP3 is the only choice, and sounds great, and lossless didnt sound much better with the amp even, but albeit only out of the laptop hp/o, however i did try with the U control, and the difference was minimal, but maybe the Petite would be better? Anyway, no chance im changing all my music to lossless. Would take farrrr to long. The amp did improve both lossless and lossy with the crap sources, so i dont care about my bitrates, 96k -> 320k is fine, and sounds great, but i think could be better amped and fed by my better sources.

But would the petite improve the livewires comapred to the d2's great internal amp?

Would the petite be any better for homw use than the U control?

If a no to both, i guess i dont need to carry the bulk and spend any more money...

Matt

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #978 of 1,377
^ The Magnum is a far improvement in both the amplifier section and DC section over the Petite. It's price goes up, but such is at the expense of better SQ, gain control, and a bass KNOB. Not an on/off switch, rather, it's tailorable like the LisaIII, Diablo, etc... Think of it as the bigger brother to the Petite. Awesome rig. I'm using it for the gym with my 8gb touch, lol. Horrible hobby this is....

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #980 of 1,377
^ Wow...for whatever reason...I really like that rig.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #981 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowon iAudio 7, Cardas mini-to-mini, RSA Predator, UE11

How much of an improvement does the amp bring to that party?

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #982 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know of any pictures of people wearing those SR-003s in their ears? I can't figure out how they'd work.

Also, how much do they leak in/out?

Server came back up from t-mobile I guess:

cd149659f4e5.jpg

Pardon the quality, as it's taken from my phone. But it gives you an idea.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #984 of 1,377
Quote:

How much of an improvement does the amp bring to that party?

You know, I didn't think I would be using the amp much in this particular party, but it really does add quite a bit... When I'm not trying to be too active and can bear the burden of the amp, I take it along! It really does make the sound significantly more convincing.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #985 of 1,377
Quote:

Thanks for that.

They're smaller than I thought.

Then they're even smaller than you think now, cause I have TINY ears and they actually make the buds look larger. They're about 30-40% smaller than a KSC-75 as far as the disc part goes.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #986 of 1,377
Wow, killer rig! Cowon yay!

Just got my white 4gb d2 with missing power slider and a filed out frame so a stylus can operate switch nub.

Think i am going to use the white casing on my (black) dab 4gb d2, and of course the screen to replace the one i broke when i dropped it. White is more shiney and less easy to scratch than the black, and in better condition. No DAB logo but oh well, looks better less logo'd anyway.

Will make the d2 up tonight at dads
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice to have a working one in my hands right now again! Will be in bits in a few hours, then i will have a white working 4gb DAB d2 with no dab logos on the back and a black 4gb d2 with no power slider and a filed out frame and dab logos when not a dab d2, and a crakced touch screen layer...

Crystal case is nice too. Livewires, D2 in crystal case, 2 sd's, glasses cloth, stylus and IEM cleaning tool all fit in the white waterproof Livewire branded case too... Wont be breaking this d2 thats for sure!!

Or do i go for white front black back? Hybrid! Shame livewire cables are black...Colour matching is important!

Pics when i have a working rig again!!

Matt

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #989 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowon iAudio 7, Cardas mini-to-mini, RSA Predator, UE11

Good stuff, I'm thinking about getting the tomahawk for my next amp

My current rig: 2gb Bootleg Ipod Nano, Raidoshack mini to mini glod series, Pa2v2, Grado sr80

My planned future rig: 8gb Iaudio 7, if it changes SQ, better interconnects (3 feet), RSA Tomahawk or Pico without the usb thing (too expensive with), Grado sr225

I need a 3 feet interconnect cause my ideal listening is on my bike and I keep my amp in my pocket and need the interconnect to reach the handle bars, the 6 feet gold series is too long

Users who are viewing this thread

Back