Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XI]
May 23, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #362 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccfoodog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
16G iPod Touch > cme4records line out > iBasso P2 > Shure SE530 > Sensaphonic custom sleeves

[FULL SIZE GALLERY]

DSC_2362-800x600.jpg

ccfoodog, that looks like an awesome rig
smily_headphones1.gif
How much improvement for the Shures in terms of SQ and isolation with the custom sleeves? Are the sleeves removable, comfortable, expensive?
P.S: Nice photos!

May 23, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #363 of 1,377
hi...

just a question...

Like home rigs, which have a preamp and amp for speakers, does the same apply to portable rigs?

i.e. ipod-->hornet-->iqube-->tf10p?

sorry if it sounds weird, but i want to know...since a preamp is supposed to amp a signal to line level for further amping?

May 23, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #365 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremiah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ccfoodog, that looks like an awesome rig
smily_headphones1.gif
How much improvement for the Shures in terms of SQ and isolation with the custom sleeves? Are the sleeves removable, comfortable, expensive?
P.S: Nice photos!

Thanks.

I think the sleeves cost about $100 + $40 fitting. They are removable and made of a soft silicon or silicon-like material.

While I suppose I'm an audiophile of sorts, I don't really claim to have a golden ear, so in terms of SQ, YMMV.

My feeling is that they don't effect SQ that much vs. a *well fitting* alternate solution.

With my previous IEMs (Ety 6i), I had a heck of a time getting a good seal and I had difficulties keeping them secure and when they met with a freak gardening accident, I was determined to have the replacements fit well, be secure and sound good.

This started me off looking at customs, primarily the UE 5 Pro and Sensaphonics 2X-S (keep in mind, this was a while ago). I liked the idea of the soft material that Sensaphonics used, but was worried about dropping big bucks on a earphone with a non-serviceable cable.

Then the Shure E500PTH came out and got great reviews. I noticed that Sensaphonics indicated they would make a sleeve for it. It seemed like a reasonable compromise. Good sound, but if the cable died I could get another pair without re-doing the custom stuff (and I did end up returning my E500s for cable issues). I didn't want the PTH thingy, but it was removable, so hey.

As expected, the sleeves provide the most long term comfort I have been able to obtain in a IEM. They are very secure and provide excellent seal.

Are they perfect? No. The way the IEMs sit in the sleeves causes the cable to jut out at a goofy angle. The 500s sit nice and tight in your ears, with the sleeves, they become big things sticking out of your ears. They seem to be a magnet for cat and dog fur.

Would I do it again? Maybe. My issue isn't so much an issue with the sleeves, but more not being in love with the Shures. They are good, but for $500 I guess I was hoping for more.

I guess if push came to shove, I'd be inclined to try the UE customs. I really like the removable cable and while I think soft custom material is nice, the hard mold of the UEs doesn't worry me after wearing a custom sleeve for a while.

If I already had some nice Etys or something that the sleeves were available for I'd say it can't hurt. Just don't be in a hurry. Due to random problems (some possibly with the audiologist) it took three tries to get mine and about three months, although one month is supposed to be typical.

Good luck and I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who tries these.

-john

May 23, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #366 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccfoodog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.

I think the sleeves cost about $100 + $40 fitting. They are removable and made of a soft silicon or silicon-like material.

While I suppose I'm an audiophile of sorts, I don't really claim to have a golden ear, so in terms of SQ, YMMV.

My feeling is that they don't effect SQ that much vs. a *well fitting* alternate solution.

With my previous IEMs (Ety 6i), I had a heck of a time getting a good seal and I had difficulties keeping them secure and when they met with a freak gardening accident, I was determined to have the replacements fit well, be secure and sound good.

This started me off looking at customs, primarily the UE 5 Pro and Sensaphonics 2X-S (keep in mind, this was a while ago). I liked the idea of the soft material that Sensaphonics used, but was worried about dropping big bucks on a earphone with a non-serviceable cable.

Then the Shure E500PTH came out and got great reviews. I noticed that Sensaphonics indicated they would make a sleeve for it. It seemed like a reasonable compromise. Good sound, but if the cable died I could get another pair without re-doing the custom stuff (and I did end up returning my E500s for cable issues). I didn't want the PTH thingy, but it was removable, so hey.

As expected, the sleeves provide the most long term comfort I have been able to obtain in a IEM. They are very secure and provide excellent seal.

Are they perfect? No. The way the IEMs sit in the sleeves causes the cable to jut out at a goofy angle. The 500s sit nice and tight in your ears, with the sleeves, they become big things sticking out of your ears. They seem to be a magnet for cat and dog fur.

Would I do it again? Maybe. My issue isn't so much an issue with the sleeves, but more not being in love with the Shures. They are good, but for $500 I guess I was hoping for more.

I guess if push came to shove, I'd be inclined to try the UE customs. I really like the removable cable and while I think soft custom material is nice, the hard mold of the UEs doesn't worry me after wearing a custom sleeve for a while.

If I already had some nice Etys or something that the sleeves were available for I'd say it can't hurt. Just don't be in a hurry. Due to random problems (some possibly with the audiologist) it took three tries to get mine and about three months, although one month is supposed to be typical.

Good luck and I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who tries these.

-john

John, thanks for sharing insight regarding your experience with the sleeves, I find your explanations and opinions to be very helpful indeed. I can see where you are coming at regarding the added bulk when utilizing the sleeves, but at least they seal well and are comfortable while not compromising SQ, and hopefully won't cause you another gardening accident!

I am sorry to hear that the E500s are not really up to your standards, and whats more the cable issue. For me, I love my SE530s very much, and though I am sure for the price they fetch there is a fair amount of diminishing returns, I have come to understand that is the way of business as with all top of the line products carrying a significant premium.

Alike you, I would be interested in trying some customs from UE in future, but am a little hesitant pertaining anything that has to be custom molded. I have heard quite a lot of cases in accordance to your mention of requiring several tries to get the ideal mold. I'll put that on hold for now, at least until wallet permits. Besides, the SE530s are my cup of tea and one of the best things I've ever heard (IMHO).

PS: Hope you got a replacement from Shure with a recent MFG date, as I've heard the ones pushed out this year should be free of the cable formulation issue.

Keep the pics coming people!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #367 of 1,377
Yes, it is possible I just have unrealistic expectations regarding the 530s.

I thought I'd point out that Shure *did* replace my broken 500s free of charge with late model set of 530s (new retail box set in fact). That said, I really didn't like the way they approach it. They basically say 1) you must have purchased from a authorized dealer, 2) you must provide a receipt and then they give you no guarantee if they'll cover the repair. So beware if you don't buy from a authorized dealer and make sure you have a receipt.

Also I thought I'd point out that neither Sensaphonics, nor the audiologist tried to charge me more for the extra molds, etc. It was just a hassle. This is from a Sensaphonics *approved* audiologist. I paid the audiologist and they paid Sensaphonics.

Now, I'm starting to be curious about the TF 10s too.....

-john

May 24, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #369 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by yourtoys7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One sided cable
where can I have this made for me, thanks for any info.

Punnisher makes them himself.

May 24, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #371 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by PetCed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my "rig" most of the time. I have portable amps but I rarely use them due to their size. This rig actually sound really good with good ripped audio
smily_headphones1.gif
I think what's missing on portable amps is design and usability combined with great sound. I don't want a bomb with me to get great sound
wink.gif

Red iPod Shuffle 2Gb, Red q-JAYS.
le2yo4.jpg

I know all about quoting images but this photo is totally boss. I'm even keeping a copy of it on my computer for future reference.

May 24, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #372 of 1,377
my new portable mp3 rig
e280rigpg0.jpg

i love this rockbox theme but the converting of all my album art to 64x64 bitmaps is a bit tedious

May 25, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #373 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my new portable mp3 rig

i love this rockbox theme but the converting of all my album art to 64x64 bitmaps is a bit tedious

open buds on a rockboxed player? How can you do that to yourself!?
rockbox=bass heaven...for IEMs, cans, and canal-phones, that is.

EDIT:there ya go

May 25, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #375 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baba booey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
open buds on a rockboxed player? How can you do that to yourself!?
rockbox=bass heaven...for IEMs, cans, and canal-phones, that is.

Baba booey, this is Sony MDR-E888 - very good sounding and bassy earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back