Pictures of Your Portable Rig [Part XI]
May 26, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #392 of 1,377
Great pictures, filipelli!
Is this a Tomahawk paired with the Nano? It looks like a very nice and small rig. I think this is the definition of "portable quality sound".
biggrin.gif

How do you like the Cowon D2 so far? Did you get used to the touch interface? Are you satisfied with the touch interface? Does it suit your needs? (when are you using the D2?)

May 26, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #393 of 1,377
xin supermini iv it says in his signature

May 27, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #395 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by Envoy of Light /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great pictures, filipelli!
Is this a Tomahawk paired with the Nano? It looks like a very nice and small rig. I think this is the definition of "portable quality sound".
biggrin.gif

How do you like the Cowon D2 so far? Did you get used to the touch interface? Are you satisfied with the touch interface? Does it suit your needs? (when are you using the D2?)

It's a nano with supermini IV. Perfect fit, and what a great sound! There are some other members here with this rig, and it truly does fit the bill of portable quality in my biased opinion.
wink.gif
However, I think the nano tomahawk rig is just as good, and the amp is more available
wink.gif

I am loving the D2. I was quite smitten with it when I first got it and the touch interface did take some getting used to. I was concerned about the smallness of the screen and the ability to quickly access the tracks I want to listen to, but so far no complaints here. Really I bought the D2 just to try it out..and so far I am impressed. I have been using the D2 on car rides and just around the house when I don't want to carry around an amp. The touch interface in this case is just fine, and in fact is fun to fiddle around with. I can blindly change tracks just fine, and the dynamic playlist and EQ is what I am loving most about this player. I would keep the player mostly for these things as well as the customizable nature of the player.

And Matt...No need at all for an AMP! I am loving the sound sig in the headphone out. Very full and fun to my ears. I hope you get your D2 fixed. Don't forget to keep us updated!

Anyway...I just pulled out my dad's soldering iron and did a little DIY project for the first time ever! Definite learning curve here, but I started small. Shortened my Punnisher low profile LOD to the perfect length
biggrin.gif
. You guys can see the original length in the link on my sig. If any of you guys want to make your rigs even more portable, I highly recommend making yourselves one of these babies.

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

May 27, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #397 of 1,377
PORTABLE_RIG.JPG

Hey guys. Stumbled onto this forum about a week ago whilst looking for IEM info, and have been hooked ever since. Still figuring out my way around, but figured I'd post my portable rig. Doesn't quite fit into my pocket, nor is it as color coordinated as some that I've seen in this thread, but sounds aright.

Dell Precision M4300 > E-MU 1616m Cardbus > Stock high bandwidth LOD > E-MU 1616m Dock > Sennheiser HD280pro (on last legs -- soon to be replaced with M-Audio IE-40s/UE Triple.Fi's, thanks to Head Fi!)

Cheers,
Andrew -//-- Dodeca [phoenix.loop]

May 27, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #398 of 1,377
Welcome Andrew, and sorry about your wallet!

Have fun around here! It's addicting, but fun! Nice set up btw. Does that cardbus require the 1616m dock? I see you can plug your headphones straight into the card, but how does it sound over laptop out? I am a sound card noob.

May 27, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #399 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am a D2 noob...I did some research on flash skins but as far as I know the 2.55 firmware can't use flash skins on the now playing screen. I don't know? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That is correct. Flash skins can be used in firmwares 3.xx. Not sure if it's true, but quite a few people have mentioned that the SQ is better in 3.xx. I've noticed better SQ but it could just all be mental
tongue.gif

BTW, if you ever decide to use 3.xx and use flash skins, the nicest one I've seen and that is really easy to use is Dark Stage. Here is the link:
iAudiophile.net Forums - View Single Post - Finished Flash Skins Only - No Other Posts Please

May 27, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #400 of 1,377
Thanks for the welcome filipelli!

The cardbus doesn't require the dock, which is one of the biggest reasons I picked it up, so I could really get into mobile music creation. The last thing I needed was a solid pair of IEMs for when I'm not at home, plugged into the rest of my gear.

Anyhoo. Yeah, the card has 1/8" out @ up to 24bit/192kHz, and all DS/Wave sound get routed to it (so the built in laptop out becomes disabled). The card also has onboard DSP, controlled by software, so there's a lot to it.

And my wallet is already hurtin'... been at this for a while!

May 27, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #402 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
........I just pulled out my dad's soldering iron and did a little DIY project for the first time ever! Definite learning curve here, but I started small. Shortened my Punnisher low profile LOD to the perfect length
biggrin.gif
. You guys can see the original length in the link on my sig. If any of you guys want to make your rigs even more portable, I highly recommend making yourselves one of these babies.

Filipelli, What brand of connectors did you use (both jack and dock) and where did you get them? The look beautiful!

May 27, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #403 of 1,377
Quote:

Originally Posted by chewynuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some goodies arrived today and my new rig is almost complete :)

img5136zy4.jpg

img5134dm8.jpg

img5132qm5.jpg

Holy christ.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back