Pictures of your portable rig part VIII
May 27, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #122 of 1,186
Quote:

Originally Posted by dle4e_2005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,that knob on your mk2 is beautiful!

Yeah, the knobs on that amp are fantastic (no pun intended).

May 27, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #123 of 1,186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Headphile Senn V2 cable in BlackMax. It made a HUGE improvement in the HD25's sound, versus the crappy stock cable. The HD25-1 becomes a really awesome headphone with a good re-cable.

Skylab,

How does the HD25 compare with the DJ81s in terms of isloation and overall sound? I had my DJ81s re-cabled dy Drew (Silver Dragon) and I like the overall presentation for classical (iMod (AIFF) --> Wyvern AG16 --> SMIV). As much as I have read on here about HD25 (especially Tao Tao's long treatise) that it's not the best for classical, especially in the mid-range and soundstage.

I've been toying with the HD25s for months now. I really want something that works well on planes. I have some really long flights throughout the Pacific and the DJ81's are so-so in the islotaion department.

Experiences? Thoughts?

May 27, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #124 of 1,186
/me wants more pics, not talk
biggrin.gif

May 28, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #125 of 1,186
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Headphile Senn V2 cable in BlackMax. It made a HUGE improvement in the HD25's sound, versus the crappy stock cable. The HD25-1 becomes a really awesome headphone with a good re-cable.

Can you elaborate as to what improved after the recable?

Do you have any experience with A Pure Sound cables? Do they compare to Headphile cables?

May 28, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #126 of 1,186
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you elaborate as to what improved after the recable?

Do you have any experience with A Pure Sound cables? Do they compare to Headphile cables?

The highs were MUCH smoother, and the overall sound more balanced. I'm sure a good cable from Alex would produce the same result - the issue is the horrid stock cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,

How does the HD25 compare with the DJ81s in terms of isloation and overall sound? I had my DJ81s re-cabled dy Drew (Silver Dragon) and I like the overall presentation for classical (iMod (AIFF) --> Wyvern AG16 --> SMIV). As much as I have read on here about HD25 (especially Tao Tao's long treatise) that it's not the best for classical, especially in the mid-range and soundstage.

I've been toying with the HD25s for months now. I really want something that works well on planes. I have some really long flights throughout the Pacific and the DJ81's are so-so in the islotaion department.

Experiences? Thoughts?

So as to not get too much off topic, I will just say that the HD25-1's sound MUCH better, and isolate better, than even my recabled K81DJ's. I have no problem using the HD25-1's on planes - they isolate well enough.

May 28, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #129 of 1,186
Quote:

Stunning portable rig you got there!
Certainly a great start for a fresh Head-Fi'er...
lambda.gif

May 29, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #131 of 1,186
Got a Shuffle for jogging:

shuffle2li4.jpg

Unfortunatelly the hiss with UM2s was unbearable, it was noticable at any given tollarable volume. Loved the construction of the unit, but had to return it.

Got myself one of these:
sony1ox3.jpg

Am loving it so far, 2 gigs, cheaper than the shuffle, sonic stage is just as annoying as itunes to me, I would not tollarate it for my main HDD player but for a flash based dap it does fine.
Has a clip too: http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/3272/sony2sg9.jpg
Overall am quite happy, the 3 mins charge is quite convinient too.

It is NOT hiss free, but once music is playing, I do not notice the hiss, unlike with the Shuffle. Sound wise, it is quite pleasant.

May 29, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #133 of 1,186
One thing I never understood was how people can stand silicone cases. In my experience, they are super dust magnets and it really bothered me.

I suppose you can wash them once in a while, but I guess I'm too lazy. Is there such thing as non-dust-attracting silicone?

May 29, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #134 of 1,186
meh a little dust doesn't hurt.

Man I respect all the setups in this thread and was tempted to post my little ghetto rig but I've since decided to sell my stuff. I got this iBasso to experiment with an amped ipod and stuff but ultimately i've decided I'm just going to get that Kenwood hd30gb9 since I don't like dealing with charging an amp, carrying around ICs, and that sort of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back