Pictures of your portable rig- Part VI
Dec 15, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #556 of 866
This is the portable rig I brought with me to work today (the rig can vary from day to day). Today's portable audio enchilada consists of a HeadRoom Total BitHead (2006), Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro custom in-ear monitors, AudioLineOut Jena Wire Cryo Dock (with right-angle connector), Apple iPod nano 8GB (2nd generation), all held together by an iMojo nano Sweat wristband.

IMG_3512_640wide.jpg

This photo (above) shows the whole rig, but the HeadRoom Total BitHead (2006) is hidden inside the wristband.

IMG_3518_640wide.jpg

This photo (above) shows a close-up photo of the AudioLineOut Jena Wire Cryo Dock (with right-angle connector). Ken's craftsmanship is exceptional.

IMG_3519_480wide.jpg

This photo (above) shows the HeadRoom Total BitHead (2006) peeking out of the wristband (obviously it can't be worn as a wristband rig with the Total BitHead stuffed in there). This also shows a close-up photo of the Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro custom in-ear monitors.

Given its relative compactness (it wasn't too long ago I was carrying a shoulder bag with a portable CD player rig), this is an awesome little setup. The UE-10 Pro is the best portable headphone I've yet heard, and the Total BitHead (in its low-gain setting) is an excellent amp to drive it with. As someone else said here today (I think it was n_maher), the Total BitHead is easily one of the best values in Head-Fi'dom right now, as it can also be used as a great little USB DAC (for which it sees frequent use by me).

Arriving soon will be a Ray Samuels Audio Tomahawk ultra-portable in-ear monitor amplifier. I've only seen it in photos so far, but I can't believe how tiny it looks--I'm going to have to get creative to figure out how to use it with my nano Sweat. For the Tomahawk (which I plan to use in a stacking configuration, directly beneath the nano), I have an extra-short custom AudioLineOut six-wire Jena Wire Cryo Dock ready and waiting (the six-wire braid on this Cryo Dock looks similar to the braid used in this Jena Labs interconnect).

The nano Sweat is a very cool case. In the photos above it's being used in more of a desktop configuration (as the Total BitHead is where one's wrist is supposed to be). But used as a wristband case (as its manufacturer intended), with the nano directly driving the headphones, the wire-wrap cleats come in handy, and it's the most comfortable nano case I've used so far. (It can also be machine-washed.)

Because I've been a bit more on-the-go lately, I've been using my portable rig(s) more and more lately. I'll post other photos as the configurations change.

Dec 15, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #557 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This photo (above) shows the HeadRoom Total BitHead (2006)peeking out of the wristband (obviously it can't be worn as a wristband rig with the Total BitHead stuffed in there).

Oooh, that's a nice trick. Gotta look into that. Thanks!

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #561 of 866
Jude, that wristband idea is pure genius. Thanks for sharing. I just ordered one. I have really struggled with how to use my Nano with an amp. This looks like the solution I have been looking for. Should be fun when my Tomahawk arrives, but given the size of the TB, any of my portable amps except the PRII should fit in there. Supercool!

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #562 of 866
nice setup jude!! do you have a picture of that cryo six shooter? i'm thinking of getting a very short cable to connect my ipod to the tomahawk, so a pic of that would definitely help! thanks.

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #563 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, jude, nice rig! nice photos too, and great idea with the wrist band. clever
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jude, that wristband idea is pure genius. Thanks for sharing. I just ordered one. I have really struggled with how to use my Nano with an amp. This looks like the solution I have been looking for. Should be fun when my Tomahawk arrives, but given the size of the TB, any of my portable amps except the PRII should fit in there. Supercool!

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I looked at the other wristband-type cases, but the iMojo nano Sweat looked like the best solution for me (and it came in a two-pack for less than the price of one of most cases). That it could accommodate the Total BitHead like this was a bonus.

As for the Tomahawk, Skylab: I think it might be small enough that some creativity could be needed to make it work with the wristband. If the Tomahawk is so small that it's not held snugly by the wristband (which I suspect will be the case), I have large Velcro straps that we use for cable organizing at the datacenter that might do the trick. I'll figure something out. Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice setup jude!! do you have a picture of that cryo six shooter? i'm thinking of getting a very short cable to connect my ipod to the tomahawk, so a pic of that would definitely help! thanks.

Here it is, aluren:

IMG_3581_640wide.jpg

The photo just doesn't fully convey the quality of assembly. When I bend it, it's clear to me that Ken made a great effort to strengthen/strain-relief the points of cable entry into the plugs.

Dec 17, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #564 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMG_3581_640wide.jpg

Wow...that thing is gorgeous. I take it, its a 1 of a kind. Any idea as to how it performs against the Jumbo Cyro? I don't even wanna know the price...lol.

Edit:
For some reason I'm seeing 7 wires in the cross section. Cryo 7 shooter? Or does the 6 not include the ground?

Dec 17, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #565 of 866
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow...that thing is gorgeous. I take it, its a 1 of a kind. Any idea as to how it performs against the Jumbo Cyro? I don't even wanna know the price...lol.

Edit:
For some reason I'm seeing 7 wires in the cross section. Cryo 7 shooter? Or does the 6 not include the ground?

I think you're counting one of them more than once. I only see 6.

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #569 of 866
Yeah, only six there. Tricky little devil!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back