Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Nov 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #3,061 of 3,551
Face,
You're right, the fixed "room gain" addition is by far the fuzziest part of the whole calculation and can be considered wrong.
Room gain can still factor into efficiency ratings, as some manufacturers seem to design for more roll-off anechoic (and can often spec a higher sensitivity as a result, under the assumption that most rooms will fill it in just right) and some for more flat anechoic (with lower spec'd sensitivity and perhaps a bit of a in-room boost in the low end, which could arguably be more "musically pleasing").

Mainly I'd meant to point out that on-paper efficiency numbers seem to be not-too-infrequently "fudged" (or at least highly inconsistent). Jim Smith (author of "Get Better Sound") has posted that 1 model of Zu speakers spec'd at 98dB (though perhaps only a claimed ~97dB/Watt if they were 12 ohms and the spec'd number was sensitivity) measured 3dB less loud than the 96dB/Watt Tannoy Canterbury in his setup, same input. A 4dB discrepancy is very substantial.

http://db2.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=hug&n=157711&highlight=zu&r=&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3Fforum%3Dhug%26searchtext%3Dzu

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #3,062 of 3,551
Yes, OEM's also like to leave out how much efficiency may have been lost due to baffle step compensation or bass shelving in the crossover.

I also can't stand how some rate their low end bass response with room gain added...like every room and placement is the same.  Anechoic should be the standard.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3,063 of 3,551
Quote:
Still trying to hunt down a legit copy of Aenima under 300 bucks.

Damn, that is expensive.  

One of the reasons I'm into music, and media in general, and books, is b/c it's so affordable.  That's why I don't mind the upfront cost of quality gear.  Anyway, I'm sure the CD is almost as good.  I wonder...assuming there's a better quality version out there, is there a 192K or better version?  Would love a super hi-res version of Lateralus.  384...or DSD...I'm in.

Another thought: recently I heard vinyl for the first time  It was at an audio salon and the record player was hooked up to some money components.  Anyway, I was psyched, but came away disappointed.  Dynamics were great, super range, but I felt like a large part of low level information was lost, and it's the constant crackle that did it.  It could be that I had a bad first experience, but it does leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #3,064 of 3,551
Damn, that is expensive.  

One of the reasons I'm into music, and media in general, and books, is b/c it's so affordable.  That's why I don't mind the upfront cost of quality gear.  Anyway, I'm sure the CD is almost as good.  I wonder...assuming there's a better quality version out there, is there a 192K or better version?  Would love a super hi-res version of Lateralus.  384...or DSD...I'm in.

Another thought: recently I heard vinyl for the first time  It was at an audio salon and the record player was hooked up to some money components.  Anyway, I was psyched, but came away disappointed.  Dynamics were great, super range, but I felt like a large part of low level information was lost, and it's the constant crackle that did it.  It could be that I had a bad first experience, but it does leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Any idea what they were pushing? For me it usually has fantastic low end. The dynamic range is really what improves. It's fantastic.

As for the crackle, when properly cleaned and taken care of (with the proper phono stage) can produce a blacker background than my CDs.

Nov 4, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #3,065 of 3,551
Quote:
Any idea what they were pushing? For me it usually has fantastic low end. The dynamic range is really what improves. It's fantastic.
As for the crackle, when properly cleaned and taken care of (with the proper phono stage) can produce a blacker background than my CDs.

In retrospect, and given what I'm able to coax out of my current speakers, the low end really was full and fantastic.  

I don't know what the record player or phono stage was, but the amp was a Line Magnetic and the speakers Devore Orangutans.  Not the more expensive version, the $8K version.

Blacker background than CDs...hmm.  Intrigued.  

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #3,067 of 3,551
What you're generally hearing is a better master- not a superior medium for things like dynamic range, noise floor ("black background",) etc.

Correct, and noise floor really depends on the company/stage. I'm referring to the Moon 310LP with the PSU running balanced. Granted that's basically a 3k phono stage. Of course cart has to do with it as well.

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #3,069 of 3,551
Well, when I get my Invicta & Stratos later this week, I'll post a picture of the speaker rig that's coming together under my roof.  

--

On a side note, the over-enthusiastic quarantining of topics on Head-fi is bothering me.

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #3,070 of 3,551
There does seem to be a bit of OC creep going on....:rolleyes:

Nov 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #3,071 of 3,551
Say what?  
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #3,074 of 3,551
Audition 3 high end power amps
CD player : Aura April music +
pre amp / dac.: M2tech Vaughan +
power amp :
Mono block tube amp T + A M 10. /
KR tube amp KR 320 /