Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Jul 11, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #1,036 of 3,551
Wow.  Some really, really nice systems in this thread. 

I finally got my 300B SET amp back from Steve Berger who installed some Tango Output Transformers.  These pictures are only of the signal chassis.  The power chassis can be seen at the right corner of the first photo. 

Right now, my Emm Labs transport is on the fritz.  Anyone know where I can get it fixed in NYC?  I am using an OPPO DVD player as the transport coax out to my Emm Labs DAC/Pre. 

It sounds good, but I wish I had the Emm transport working. 

TANGO HI-FI Output!!!!!

These are the speakers I am using with this amp:  Cain & Cain IM Ben Double Horns.  These speakers are no longer in productions.  I almost sold them at one point!  I am glad I didn't.  You can see the amp in the picture before the transformer upgrade. 

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #1,037 of 3,551
Wow the speakers look like Sachikos (or maybe Hiro) with some supra-baffle and super tweeter.
I wonder if they are?

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #1,038 of 3,551
Are those Lowther drivers?  Nice looking speakers - but even nicer looking amp
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #1,039 of 3,551
They look like some of the Fostex models...

Jul 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #1,041 of 3,551

Quote:
I forgot to add to the picture above. I am waiting on the new Harbeth 40.1s to get here, so i am using the cheapie Sony SS-MF550H speakers until they do. Rest of system is set and sounds wonderful. i was using the Harbeth SHL5 with REL R505 sub before ordering the big Harbeths. The speakers are sitting inside the Harbeth stands which are setup and waiting! I will post the pic of the finished system next weekend.

haha, I thought those were Harbeth stands when I looked at the picture and thought "Why does he have stands for the wrong speakers?"

Jul 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #1,042 of 3,551

Quote:
Those are Fostex FE208E Sigma diver, about 8 inches

The speakers were made by Cain & Cain.  They don't make the size anymore, I don't think.  The owner and main guy behind Cain & Cain (Terry Cain) passed away a couple of years back and the manufacture was taken over by a company called "Lovecraft Design"  It's actually a FE108E Sigma (I could be wrong about this.  It's whatever the name of the six inch Sigma driver from Fostex is).  The speakers are intermediate size.  About 65" tall, 11" wide, 15" deep.  It has a Fostex super tweeter as well.  It's interesting.  The amp I was using in place of the 300B was a Patek by Peter Daniel.  It is basically a gainclone.  I noticed that the first thing I did when I got the 300B back was move the "tweeter knob" to half way up.  With the gainclone it was only 25%.

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #1,044 of 3,551
Quote:
The owner and main guy behind Cain & Cain (Terry Cain) 

Ah! This would explain why I thought they looked like the speakers I said  =)
I didn't see the cain&cain logo when i first looked.

Jul 14, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #1,045 of 3,551

Quote:
Oh, I thought those are same driver as single horn Ben. Is that true those speakers excel at mid range and HF, and need some help with bass?

Yes, it could be said that is true.  However the bass response is not too bad.  The Abby benefits from a subwoofer and the BEN ES can get by without one.  The IM Ben is somewhere in between.  If I used a subwoofer the overall response of the system would undoubtedly improve.  I have considered adding a "Bailey" subwoofer to the system ever since I got them, but I have not found the need.  It is low on my priorities but it would certainly push the system into really good sound.  My first priority was upgrading my digital (which I did with the Emm Labs front end).  And then the output transformers (which I did with the Tango).  My next priority is getting my transport repaired. 

Quote:
Ah! This would explain why I thought they looked like the speakers I said  =)
I didn't see the cain&cain logo when i first looked.

Yes.  I did some research on "Sachiko" speakers and found some interesting things.  I didn't even realize that the design was being used with any regularity outside of Cain & Cain.  I saw how inexpensively people are building and commissioning the design and I almost had some regret.  But Terry Cain came from a furniture and cabinetry background and I realized that the benefits really show in the construction and materials. 

Jul 14, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #1,046 of 3,551
Tom,

I noticed in an earlier picture you had your listening chair pretty close to the rear wall.   Does it sound better with the chair near the rear wall or further away from the rear wall?  I am moving to a new apartment soon and I was wondering about these things.  If I need to keep my back wall as far back as possible it will influence the place I choose...  If room treatments can eliminate the necessity to keep the rear wall further back, maybe my choice of apartments can expand a little. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are here!

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #1,048 of 3,551
That Oracle turntable is BEAUTIFUL - wow.

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #1,049 of 3,551
Dear god it looks like you converted a small church into a listening room!
Very excellent  =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back