Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Jul 15, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #1,051 of 3,551

Quote:
Dear god it looks like you converted a small church into a listening room!
Very excellent  =)

Thanks! The ceiling there is actually A-shaped and covered with stripped bamboo mesh as an additional acoustic treatment.
normal_smile .gif

Jul 15, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #1,054 of 3,551

Quote:
Tom,

I noticed in an earlier picture you had your listening chair pretty close to the rear wall.   Does it sound better with the chair near the rear wall or further away from the rear wall?  I am moving to a new apartment soon and I was wondering about these things.  If I need to keep my back wall as far back as possible it will influence the place I choose...  If room treatments can eliminate the necessity to keep the rear wall further back, maybe my choice of apartments can expand a little. 

I have been using my chair a little closer to these Harbeths than my last pair. So my listening position has been pulled out from wall  to 4' behind me. I also bought a pr. of big SS amps to try with the harbeths (Bryston 7B SST monoblocks) They have been warminhg up for about a half an hour.  Depending how they do i will either keep them and get a BAT VK-52SE preamp, or sell both them and the Manleys and buy a pr. of high power tube amps.

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #1,059 of 3,551
It's been a long time since I updated the pictures of my big rig. Several changes.
System consists of:
Usher BE-20 Speakers (No Change) Resting on Symposium Roller Block Jr's
Parasound JC-1 mono amps (Very significant upgrade from the previous Bel Canto Ref 1000's) Resting on Symposium Roller Block Jr's on top of Symposium Ultra Platforms.
Parasound JC-2 Preamp (Surprisingly Close in performance to the previous Chord which is up for sale) Resting on Symposium Roller Blocks 2+ (with Tungsten Carbide Grade 3 balls) On Isis Rack
Sources:
My beloved VPI SSM is up for sale so it's been pulled from the rack.
PS Audio Perfect Wave Dac - Resting on Symposium Roller Blocks 2+ (with Tungsten Carbide Grade 3 balls) On top shelf of Isis Rack (Waiting on the Network Bridge, I'm one of 35 Beta testers)
Exemplar Audio BDP-83SE (Exemplar Modified Oppo BDP-83SE) On Brass cones (The bottom is too iregular for Roller Blocks) On Isis Rack
PS Audio Power Plant Premier Resting on Symposium Precision Couplers on bottom shelf of Isis
the PS Audio PPP is on its own dedicated 15 amp line.
Each JC-1 Mono is fed from its own PS Audio Duet that is plugged into its own dedicated 20 amp line

On the Billy Bags Rack on the far left is my 1.5 TB Exemplar Music Server (Which once the bridge comes will be moved to my Bedroom rig), and a Cambridge Audio Home Theater Receiver that amplifies for the Center and Surrounds (Pre-Outs to the JC-2 Preamp for the L&R  Front Speakers), and a HD Dish receiver

Also out of sight is a massive B&W ASW3000 Subwoofer (Used for theater ONLY)

For Size reference the screen is 92" Diagonal

Jul 17, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #1,061 of 3,551
Thanks.

I think today I'm going to move the equipment and dust underneath it. I actually have a duster (Seen hanging) but it doesn't reach all the way, and I hate how visible the dust is in these photos.

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #1,064 of 3,551

Quote:
Thanks Skylab!
smile.gif
  I think you can see there that my Oracle vinyl spinner is on top of a 3" thick ebony slab platform for better isolation from external vibrations.

That isn't cheap, especially if it's high quality pure black ebony.

Jul 18, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #1,065 of 3,551

Quote:
Thanks.

I think today I'm going to move the equipment and dust underneath it. I actually have a duster (Seen hanging) but it doesn't reach all the way, and I hate how visible the dust is in these photos.

That happens when you use a cheap camera flash - which is a good an approximation of a high-intensity specular point source without ambient fill. A certain percentage of those dust particles are oriented to become perfectly reflective hot spots, under such lighting. If you've every tried to write a raytracer program, you'll quickly figure out just how horrible this kind of lighting is.

For best results - dust once in a while, and photograph with a tripod under natural lighting. Your system will look in photographs as beautiful as it should :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back