Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Jan 16, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #436 of 3,551
That Sir is a 'real' system, full Wilson and ML set.

ooph....

Cheers,

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #437 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slice off some of that hi-fi to buy a camera that can focus?

Haha
beerchug.gif

Nice system though.

Jan 17, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #439 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Sir is a 'real' system, full Wilson and ML set.

ooph....

Cheers,

Indeed, seriously nice gear. Your dad is obviously a fan of near field listening! With a room that deep and furniture so light, it would be fun to do all sorts of experiments with with listening position.

When I saw the speakers so far out into the room and the seating so close to the speakers, I thought, "What the heck is he doing?" But then when I saw all of the space behind the seating, it made a lot more sense.

Still, for HT use, I'd want to be sitting much further back. Bass notes supposedly travel something like 25 feet before they're fully extended (or whatever the correct term is). For 2 channel audio, I quite enjoy near field listening myself. You get a much more controlled bass response in most rooms from 8-12 feet, and likewise a much wider and more layered soundstage. More intimate up front, more impactful further back (assuming that you volume adjust to get the same SPL from wherever you're sitting).

In any case, great gear and awesome room!

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #440 of 3,551
Thanks for all the replies.
@Wcmcmanus: There is a couch farther back in the room, but the front chairs have to be moved as they really dampen the sound. Sound from the farther back position sounds dull, like someone stole your front row seats to a concert and gave you the ones behind a pole. You no longer can 'see' the instruments. The soundstage is huge in the near field setup. Yet to find anything that has a wider soundstage.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #441 of 3,551
It's time to contribute something and not always only reading... hope you enjoy some pictures from my main stereo equipment (in the living room):

PART 1
=====

1. FLAC and ALAC files here (16/44 and 24/96): 1 TB WD drive (USB) on a some foam rubber. This swallows any vibrations from the already very silent WD Green Power drive.

2. Lenovo T500 (with Intel 80GB solid state drive). Software player: foobar 0.9.x with WASAPI, iTunes. This Laptop is as noisy as a pocket calculator. iTouch as remote control for iTunes (works great)

3. With Oehlbach USB cable into Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 3 then via Bitmeister AES/EBU into the DAC. The Off-Ramp is my newest addition, I don't necessarily tell my wife about all my acquisitions... but she said: what have you done, it sounds even better now, so I mentioned that I bought a small black box to replace another small box (RME multiface)

4. The Weiss DAC1 Mk-2... not exactly cheap but a major step above the Lavry Blue, which I had before.

5. The Spectral DMC-20 Mk2 ... bougth this one used to replace a Krell PAM-3 which I had for about 15 years.

Jan 18, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #443 of 3,551
PART 2
=====

6. The shelf for the electronics is well crafted, stable, nice looking and hides the external drive, interfaces and cables.

7. The Classe Audio DR-9, to this amp as well as to the speakers I have nearly an emotional relationship ... have them since the beginning of the Nineties. Amp and speaker do very well with each others. Both are still in perfect conditition.

8. Apogee Duetta Signature. Full ribbon replacement (Graz) in 2005. I love them! Me and my wife prefer them much over the top of the line models from B&W, Sonus Faber and Piega (that's what we compared, a few years ago).

Jan 18, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #444 of 3,551
Excuse me whilst I have a bit of a druel on the Apogee's.... :p

Cheers,

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #446 of 3,551
woow

I loooooove that big Hifi gear and I had a big smile on my face through the whole thread!! AWSOME rigs everyone....

I thought I'd share my rig too, but it's my first serious home rig so it fades compared to all those fancy rigs with all the electrostats and them big mono blocks...

I'll get some photo's tomorrow when there's daylight again!!

It won't compare to the rest of the thread, but I'm just a 19 year old student with a waaay to big thing for Hifi gear that worked his but off to afford this (and was able to make a good deal with the boss).

What can you expect?
- two Canton Chrono 507DC's
- HK3490
- some monstercables

I work in a HIFI store so I had plenty of time to listen to all kind of speakers (kef, Warfhedale, infinity, Dali, AudioMecca, Mordaunt-short among others) But I just LOOOOVE the lively Canton sound. We (me and a colleague) compared the Canton Vento 870 directly to the Chrono 507 and noticed very little difference between the two meaning the Vento was stunning, but the Chrono was close for half the price.

In the future I'd like to upgrade to some higher end cantons or some B&W's maybe. But the amp will be the first to be replaced, I loove the NAIM and LINN stuff. Vincent attracts me too, especially their tube stuff.

grz

Jan 19, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #447 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My speaker and phone rig. The speakers sit fairly far apart in a 14' x 24' room, so I only shot a pic of one of them. I need to get a rack or something better for the electronics one of these days as well.

heavily modified Rotel RCD855 (Tentlabs/PFM Flea clock, rbroer discrete I/V, schottkys, etc.), Gilmore Dynalo (headamp V2 PCB), preamp PSU

Preamp (Counterpoint SA5.1) and power amp (Odyssey Stratos)

Von Schweikert VR4 GenII speakers, Kimber 8TC cabling

Do you like Odyssey Stratos amp? I have a chance to get Symphonic line RG 11 Mk3 for a good price and I think Stratos is based on that design.

Jan 20, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #448 of 3,551
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you like Odyssey Stratos amp? I have a chance to get Symphonic line RG 11 Mk3 for a good price and I think Stratos is based on that design.

Yes I do, very much. I've had it for around 6 years or so. I had a chance to compare it to a Marsh A400 and a Counterpoint SA-220 in my system, along with its predecessor, a Hafler DH220. It was similar (and equal to) the Counterpoint; it was much better than the Marsh in my system. They are quite well thought of on Audio Asylum as well. Not the last word in detail, etc., but very musical, and a huge amount of product for the money.

Jan 20, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #450 of 3,551
well,

have heard the mentors once but that was a while back.
I remember that Dali pairs extremely well with NAD amps.

It also depends on what mentors you have. Mentor 5 and 6 need a decent power source and mentor 8 just looooves power and the use of a toroidal transformer delivers a noticable difference there.

Mentor 1 and 2 don't need that much power so you could take a low-end (entry) amp by NAD.

I've heard Denon and Marantz with Dali but think that was too warm and laid back for my tastes, a decent HK would fit the larger mentors very good as well. the HK3490, HK990, HK980 should deliver a nice and natural sound. No extra added warmth or coldness by the amp, that's how I like it at.

Only ones I wouldn't recommend would be Yamaha and Onkyo, they just sounded boring in combo with the mentors.

Grz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back