Pictures Of Your High End System (Please see the first pages for examples of what should be posted here)
Jul 18, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #2,506 of 3,551
That's a nice looking reel to reel Skylab!  I recently acquired one myself, Teac X-10, and love its sound.  Currently I use it both as a source and between my DAC and preamp as a sort of sound processor.  The inherent frequency response and equalization curve really impress a thick heavy sound on my system which I really enjoy.  I'd also recommend giving the headphone jack a try, tad bit of a noise floor but a wonderfully rich and spacious sound.  If I can find my camera I will post some pics.  

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #2,507 of 3,551
Thanks.  I had an X-10R and thought it was a very nice deck.  I'm not sure how you are using it as an "EQ" though - are you applying the recording tape bias EQ when you listen to sources through it, even when not recording?  In bypass mode, my Pioneer is completely transparent except for just a very small amount if background hiss, audible only at very high volume control settings and with no music playing.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #2,508 of 3,551
I'm assuming that's what is happening.  I switch the source on the tape deck to "line in" instead of using the actual tapes loaded onto the machine.  Vu meters read info coming from my DAC instead of the tapes and I adjust the line level input appropriately and then just pass the line out to my preamp.  There is a very audible difference between using the DAC to preamp transmission line and the DAC, reel to reel, preamp combination.  If I'm correct the X-10 has an inherent EQ curve (all reel to reels do, similar to how a tt has an RIAA curve, I believe it is called NAB) and frequency response of my machine 40hz - 18khz.  Passing a signal through the deck imparts this EQ curve and frequency response on the signal, which is then picked up by the preamp.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #2,509 of 3,551
I couldn't live with it going down to only 40hz. :D

Quote:
I'm assuming that's what is happening.  I switch the source on the tape deck to "line in" instead of using the actual tapes loaded onto the machine.  Vu meters read info coming from my DAC instead of the tapes and I adjust the line level input appropriately and then just pass the line out to my preamp.  There is a very audible difference between using the DAC to preamp transmission line and the DAC, reel to reel, preamp combination.  If I'm correct the X-10 has an inherent EQ curve (all reel to reels do, similar to how a tt has an RIAA curve, I believe it is called NAB) and frequency response of my machine 40hz - 18khz.  Passing a signal through the deck imparts this EQ curve and frequency response on the signal, which is then picked up by the preamp.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #2,511 of 3,551
Quote:

That's not exactly right.  Yes, reel to reel requires an EQ curve for recording and playback of tapes.  But when you select the line in on the X-10R, and then listen to the outputs of the tape deck with the source/tape switch set to "source", that EQ curve is NOT applied.  If you are getting a significant difference in the DAC run direct to your preamp, versus through the Teac, this is most likely due to the age of the unit, and specifically the deterioration of the electrolytic capacitors.  I had my RT-707 completely recapped - every single electrolytic capacitor in the unit was replaced (same with my SX-1980 receiver).

Anyway, this is quite off topic for this thread, my apologies.

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #2,512 of 3,551
Quote:
'

yeah, an aristaeus to pair with the 009 doesn't seem to make much sense, as i'm not aware of anyone reporting this as a particularly synergistic combo, and that amp was optimized for just one phone, the sennheiser he90.  a bhse, t1 cavalli ll, woo wes, stax 717 or 727, or kgss(hv) are all well received for that application. shoot, the money might be better spent on another 009, but it's yer money so it's yer choice.

Mossback had both (just sold off his gear for a new speaker system). He claimed both the Bhse and the Aristaeus were beyond excellent with the sr009. He like the bhse better in his system, but could see it going the other way with a difference source.

The aristaeus is also reported to sound excellent with the sr-omega. A few years back a member preferred the aristaeus>sr-omega over the aristaeus>he90 (he had both). While the amp is an evolution from the hev90, which was entirely voiced for the he90, it is not a direct clone and has been shown to work well with other models.Due to it's rarity in the market place, extremely limited manufacturing and price being nearly equal to the BHSE, there just hasn't been enough review on it.

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #2,513 of 3,551
That doesn't prove anything about the amplifier... only that this person had good taste, and could tell a dud overpriced headphone from a world class set of cans that was unmatched until the 009 was released :wink: 

Quote:
The aristaeus is also reported to sound excellent with the sr-omega. A few years back a member preferred the aristaeus>sr-omega over the aristaeus>he90 (he had both).

Jul 19, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #2,514 of 3,551
Quote:
DSC02573.jpg

DSC02576.jpg

This stuff never gets old! No, not the gear...
wink_face.gif
 the lusting over the gear in pix - yours specifically. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #2,517 of 3,551
I find it (reel to reel) to be nice. The soundstage is a bit weird to get used to though, it's so spacious and pin-pointing. Weird as in the guitar player on the left is ON the left, and the other guitar player and singer on the right are on the RIGHT. (I'm talking about Peter, Paul and Mary the 60s folk group in case anyone recognizes it/them) They are just so separated, and it's a bit off-setting and awkward at first but I've come to kinda like it. I listened to "Peter, Paul and Mary In Concert" and one of the guys spoke, and it actually sounded like he was in the room, like an out-of-head experience, like binaural would be I guess.

Sorry for the off-topic (for both paragraphs), BUT:

For those who may have the knowledge to advise me on this..I have 6 Peter, Paul and Mary tapes and when I listen to them, many times (not always) the vocals kind of fizz when they like to get a bit louder, if you know what I mean (towards the end of a crescendo is what it's called I think?). I was curious as to what is to blame: the tape itself (like damage to the information on it), the recording, deterioration of the electrolytic capacitors in the deck, the heads, output board in the deck? I don't mind it if it's just the recording but otherwise I'd like to get to the root of the issue and fix it. I guess I could test the wear of the caps by putting my DAC through the input and listening to see if it sounds funny? Thanks anyone who can advise me on this. PM me to prevent further derail if you want

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #2,519 of 3,551
Originally Posted by googleli 

Does reel-to-reel sound better than turntables?

Depends all a lot of parameters, I have heard both. Probably a good 1/4 inch reel to running at high speed is cheeper than a super swank TT. The issue is getting the source tapes?

Everyone made their tapes from albums in the mid-1970s so the albums didn't get wear. 
eek.gif
    Where are those tapes now? That is the issue!

So ya.............. you need the TT to get the fancy tapes.     That is the dark catch 22 my friend.............no need for any more posts........................................

Of course there is fat big tape players...................................................There not playing a great classic master.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back