Pictures Of Your High End System II (Same Rules Apply)
Aug 26, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #856 of 1,052
What do you think the most significant improvement of X26 compare to D90?

I always think D90 is great dac for the price, even able to rival some more expensive models. Never had chance to listen any Gustard DAC though.
I liked the D90 but the Gustard sounds more natural/has better timbre on my system and the soundstage has more depth..

I listen to solo piano a lot and the D90 could sound unpleasant in the treble at times, even with good recordings..the bass might have lost some impact
on the Gustard, but the definition is very good and I'm not a bass head anyways..

Sep 1, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #857 of 1,052
I liked the D90 but the Gustard sounds more natural/has better timbre on my system and the soundstage has more depth..

I listen to solo piano a lot and the D90 could sound unpleasant in the treble at times, even with good recordings..the bass might have lost some impact
on the Gustard, but the definition is very good and I'm not a bass head anyways..

That nice to hear, definitely I'd like to test Gustard if I have the chance. Thank you.

Nov 25, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #858 of 1,052
20211106_184626.jpg

Dec 14, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #860 of 1,052
The existence of this thread is so important because able to make people like me to feel less sinful after spending certain $$$$ on audio gear. I'm not alone, and there are many human beings out there that have more dedication (read: spend much more resources) on this hobby.
Yes, it's like eating 5 scoops of ice cream but feeling less guilty because the other kid ate a whole tub.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #862 of 1,052
Feb 1, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #863 of 1,052
My core system I posted here 4.5 years ago isn't THAT much different today. Mainly what's changed is that I've collected a lot of extra boxes: amps, preamps, SUTs, cartridges. Endless swapping to find the "right" combinations. Everything has its strength and weaknesses. Matching preamp to power amp brand actually hasn't been a winner for me. So for example I like VAC Master preamp with Phison A2.120SE (solid state) amp, or ARC Reference 6 preamp with VAC 200iQ mono amps. But I need to settle down on a favorite combo soon, because all the swapping is bad for my back - I'm getting old :p

Here's a pic from the weekend with my old Rogue Apollo Dark amps back in. They're perhaps not *quite* as refined or articulate as the VAC 200iQ monos or Phison A2.120SE, but they still rock like hell and give an extremely enjoyable listen. Plus I've always loved their look with all the exposed KT120 tubes. Even though my other amps are technically better than the Apollos (its noise floor is not the best), recently I've been craving a listen for them which I can't fully explain. I've had them dating back to 2010 (non-Dark back then), and I've noticed any component you enjoy for years will in fact ingrain itself into your brain's sonic processing and influence your preferences going forward.

Sadly my once-beloved headphone gear has been languishing due to issues with various components (constant frustration - my speaker rig has been far more reliable), plus the fact I'd just rather throw a record on the big rig. And there's still NO digital source hookup in the main rig, haha! Vinyl or nothing.

Attachments

• DSC_1091 (2).JPG
    DSC_1091 (2).JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #865 of 1,052
Go vols.

And Luxman in my next brand of choice. When I have the time and money, Luxman tube integrated and a Luxman Dac is on the horizon

Very nice to see!!!

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #867 of 1,052
Thomas Mayer built amplification (845 monoblocks?), very very nice!
What do you drive the headphones with?
Which speakers?

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #868 of 1,052
Thomas Mayer Da3 phono, 10Y line stage and 801/300B monoblocks. I had Thomas include a headphone connection on the back of the preamp, which works with high impedance phones like the VC. That’s the long cord going to back of preamp. The other unconnected cord goes to the McIntosh amp, which I use with planars. Other sources are the Zanden dac and phono, into which my second arm/cartridge goes. Various speakers but just pulled apart my RCA vintage horns (using MI-9548A drivers) to replace the original radial horn with a new 1803b multicell horn which will take a few months to finalize. Have my old Cube Nenuphars hooked up at moment.

Feb 13, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #869 of 1,052
Thomas Mayer Da3 phono, 10Y line stage and 801/300B monoblocks. I had Thomas include a headphone connection on the back of the preamp, which works with high impedance phones like the VC. That’s the long cord going to back of preamp. The other unconnected cord goes to the McIntosh amp, which I use with planars. Other sources are the Zanden dac and phono, into which my second arm/cartridge goes. Various speakers but just pulled apart my RCA vintage horns (using MI-9548A drivers) to replace the original radial horn with a new 1803b multicell horn which will take a few months to finalize. Have my old Cube Nenuphars hooked up at moment.
Thank you!
Very nice indeed. I used to own a Thomas Mayer D3a phono - wonderful stuff.
I see an SPU with a FR (?) arm. The second arm is a Schick?
How do you find the Zanden phono compare to the D3a?

Feb 13, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #870 of 1,052
Thanks. The two arms are a Glanz MH-124S with an SPU Century and, yes, in the back a Schick 12 with a vdh Crimson Stradivarius. I mix things up when I want a change but right now the SPU is into the D3a and the vdh into the Zanden. I may downsize at some point as I rarely listen to digital, and two phonos is a little overkill. This Zanden has a true mono input and various mono loadings and equalization settings, so I’d intended to try keeping for a mono setup. But my mono SPU isn’t up to the standards of the other carts. One day I want to try a Miyajima Infinity in that spot before dispensing with a second arm.

I could live with either phono stage. It’s difficult to describe either as having “more” of something than the other, just slightly different presentations. The Zanden leans toward a “beautiful” sound and the Mayer more punchy and authentic. The Crimson Stradivarius helps liven up the Zanden, being very dynamic. I mostly listen to jazz so the Garrard, Glanz, SPU, Mayer chain delivers the most engaging sound that really hits the spot for me. Either provides a platform to try lots of great cartridges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back