Pictures Of Your High End System II (Same Rules Apply)
Sep 21, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #811 of 1,052
Lovely! Wonderful example of "source first" done right for headphones (i.e. Stax and vinyl). Man, every single thing about that vinyl rig looks absolutely spot-on.
Thank you! When we moved home, I was a little upset at first because there was only a small bedroom for my system. But I was being unreasonable, maybe even selfish - with time, some thought and some funds!, I’m very pleased with the sq. My patient wife is happy too:)

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #812 of 1,052
My previous phono stage, good as it is, was holding this system back. When I recently upgraded from an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze to a Shelter Accord cartridge, it didn't improve the sound liked I'd expected - but I knew that the top-line Shelter should beat a Cadenza. So this weekend I received my new Herron VTPH-2A phono stage from Keith Herron - it immediately fixed this bottleneck, and suddenly I've got an even higher level of amazing sound pouring through my Stax - I didn't even think it could get this much better. WOW! I'm not more than several hours into burn-in of the Herron, yet. I've not even tried my best NOS tubes, yet (Mazda chrome-plate 12AX7 and Mullard 6201 12AT7 waiting on deck; Telefunken 12AX7 ribbed plates, Tele 12AX7 smooth plates, and Ei 12AT7 are in there now). Everything you read about this phono stage is true. The Shelter Accord and VTPH-2A is a stunning match, just like my georgep-built T2 amplifier is to the Stax 009 and 009S.

vGgABBT.png

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #813 of 1,052
My previous phono stage, good as it is, was holding this system back. When I recently upgraded from an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze to a Shelter Accord cartridge, it didn't improve the sound liked I'd expected - but I knew that the top-line Shelter should beat a Cadenza. So this weekend I received my new Herron VTPH-2A phono stage from Keith Herron - it immediately fixed this bottleneck, and suddenly I've got an even higher level of amazing sound pouring through my Stax - I didn't even think it could get this much better. WOW! I'm not more than several hours into burn-in of the Herron, yet. I've not even tried my best NOS tubes, yet (Mazda chrome-plate 12AX7 and Mullard 6201 12AT7 waiting on deck; Telefunken 12AX7 ribbed plates, Tele 12AX7 smooth plates, and Ei 12AT7 are in there now). Everything you read about this phono stage is true. The Shelter Accord and VTPH-2A is a stunning match, just like my georgep-built T2 amplifier is to the Stax 009 and 009S.

vGgABBT.png
Beyond nice!!!

Oct 28, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #814 of 1,052

vGgABBT.png
Need more pics......

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #815 of 1,052
gOp49wN.png

Here's a closeup of my Shelter Harmony on the 2ch rig (Tannoy Canterbury GR) literally on just the other end of the room from the Stax setup - link to pic in my signature. I've been a Koetsu man most of my vinyl life, but lately the Shelters have just been getting on so amazingly in both of my rigs. They seem to start out great, then gradually grown on you until you realize they've become your favorite. It's been a bit over a year since I got the Harmony, and it's still regularly surprising me. The Harmony is on a Clearaudio Universal 12" arm, which I've determined to be an exceptional match. And of course, matching of cartridge to arm and phono stage is absolutely crucial (along with proper setup). Still amazes me how much of a difference this stuff makes. That's the agony and the ecstacy of vinyl!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #816 of 1,052

vGgABBT.png

wow, what a nice "music ensemble"

p.s. Can you leave the headstand on the T2 while you listing to it?

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #817 of 1,052
wow, what a nice "music ensemble"

p.s. Can you leave the headstand on the T2 while you listing to it?
Heck no! :)
The T2 puts off more heat than many speaker amps. I just temporarily placed it there for a pic and to add to the sense of scale for the T2 amp. I'd like to get another single-width rack to supplement my audio shelf space there.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #822 of 1,052
Here's one of two...............first is garage gym system with Spec 1 preamp/Spec 4 amp and vintage Pioneer PD70 CD player..

Garage Spec system with PD70 CD player.jpg

Mar 13, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #823 of 1,052
Second is the main listening system in my music room.................more Pioneer Spec equipment - Spec 1 preamp/Spec 2 amp.

Cerwin Vega DX-5 setup for Spec system with JBL Sub.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back