Pictures Of Your High End System II (Same Rules Apply)
Mar 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #17 of 1,052
Quote:
Here is the gear I currently have out in the field with me.  Helps pass the time in the middle of nowhere.  I have had the Yulong stack for a while now.  Currently breaking in the Lynx Hilo before it goes into my 2 channel system back home.

CIEM's are Heir 8.A.

Yulong U18 is just there for the photo.  Since I have the Hilo along this trip I am using it as a USB converter for the D18.

Patiently waiting for Yulong to finish up the D8/A8 which I have ordered..  LCD 3's waiting at home for me.

Drooling... the Lynx Hilo is a very nice looking piece of equipment.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #20 of 1,052
Now that your speakers are in place, you can actually move into the house.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #22 of 1,052
They will usually be in my bedroom, but I've got happy camper coming over in the morning so I moved them out into the living room and moved everything out of they way to give them the space they need. It doesn't usually look that empty -_-

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #23 of 1,052
So how do they sound? Specs say 35Hz bottom extension +/- 3dB. Have to admit serious skepticism about that spec from a 4" driver. They are quite beautiful, though. Very handsome.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #24 of 1,052
They sound pretty good. As for the bass, they do very well in that department, and i know that with more breakin they will only get better. For right now in the large space they are trying to fill, I doubt they are going much under 50hz with any authority, but one they get back in my much smaller bedroom, and get some time on the I don't doubt they will get at least very close to the 35hz spec.

Yeah and they are freaking heavy too, very inert speakers. Pass the wrap test with flying colors, each one also weighs like 45 pounds without the stand.

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:44 AM Post #25 of 1,052
The top left of my audio rack where my MacMini and iPad are, is where the Aristaeus will be going. Once I have that amp, my headphone equipment will be complete. [ well at least for sometime ]
The rack will also look just how I've wanted it.

Mar 20, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #26 of 1,052
Quote:
So how do they sound? Specs say 35Hz bottom extension +/- 3dB. Have to admit serious skepticism about that spec from a 4" driver. They are quite beautiful, though. Very handsome.

You'd be surprised what can be accomplished with really high quality parts combined with really clever design. My Sjofn HiFi (the clue) monitors have a 5.5" driver than can go down to 28Hz with proper positioning if you have a good room for it. And the Salk WOW1 that I've been using has a single 4.5" driver with an F3 of 48Hz. Both of these are properly measured specs and not "wishful thinking" specs.

35Hz from dual 4" drivers in a rather largish enclosure seems potentially believable, given adequate power and a reasonably small room. 

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #27 of 1,052
Quote:

I'm getting good extension down to about ~40Hz in my current setup (12' X 16', 3' from back wall, 6' apart, 3' from each side wall) from the tests I've run.  The bass does seem to fill out a bit over time, but its still not coming from woofers so it doesn't kick you.  Kevin Malmgren definitely knows what he's doing, did principal engineering design on the TOTL VS speakers.

Mar 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #29 of 1,052
Quote:

You'd be surprised what can be accomplished with really high quality parts combined with really clever design. My Sjofn HiFi (the clue) monitors have a 5.5" driver than can go down to 28Hz with proper positioning if you have a good room for it. And the Salk WOW1 that I've been using has a single 4.5" driver with an F3 of 48Hz. Both of these are properly measured specs and not "wishful thinking" specs.

35Hz from dual 4" drivers in a rather largish enclosure seems potentially believable, given adequate power and a reasonably small room. 

Definitely, using advanced drivers and a well designed cabinet you can go pretty deep pretty effectively with what would seem to be small drivers. Though you wont ever get the impact out of those frequencies that you would with a sub and a bigger woofer, they are still there.

Quote:
I'm getting good extension down to about ~40Hz in my current setup (12' X 16', 3' from back wall, 6' apart, 3' from each side wall) from the tests I've run.  The bass does seem to fill out a bit over time, but its still not coming from woofers so it doesn't kick you.  Kevin Malmgren definitely knows what he's doing, did principal engineering design on the TOTL VS speakers.

Moved them back into my room right after Happy Camper left this afternoon, and the bass was the first difference that i noticed, i can actually tell that the ports are contributing to the sound now that they have some wall reinforcement and alot less volume to pressurize, and everything else still sounds just as amazing as before. So far so good. Though I guess I am still in the honeymoon phase :)

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #30 of 1,052
Some nice gear here.

@project86 your inventory gives me the impression you like a lot of the Chinese gear (amp/dac's)....there performance/value are usually under-estimated so it's good to see you bringing them out into the light from the abyss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back