Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Oct 13, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #7,428 of 10,933
I have it on my netbook, got it for free as a student. IMO if you have Windows 7 already wait for Windows 9. I have start8 installed so I don't have to deal with Metro.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #7,429 of 10,933
actually after putting on classic shell, I can now get used to the changes more gradually since I have my fallback to the desktop and actual start menu to use most of the time, then go putz around in the 'metro' interface.  There is some getting used to the...experience, but otherwise I am liking it so far, and hell, I bought the technet subscription so I can test set up a test environment, may as well give windows 8 a good go.  I have backup image of my win7 install so if push really came to shove I can revert.

Don't let the 'metro' interface turn you off until you have given it a nice long go of it, like a week or two and force yourself to use it, I think most would be pleasantly surprised...imho.  I was in the original camp of "omg that interface looks wretched, no way in hell I'll be using that anytime soon"  well I gave in and now (pending some new drivers come out for my titanium HD) I can put that issue to rest. 

Classic shell (FREE of cost, and free of malware/spyware etc) will allow you to ease into it while you get used to it at your own pace.  Will I eventually move completely over to the metro start for good?  can't see that happening until there are more apps that are made for it.  otherwise, the desktop is my go to UI. 

Seriously, don't just briefly glance at screenshots or videos, or even a few minutes on the preview.  Actually use it for an extended period of time. 

I'm no fan boy believe me.  Microsoft really needs to focus on NOT alienating its userbase. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #7,430 of 10,933
Quote:
actually after putting on classic shell, I can now get used to the changes more gradually since I have my fallback to the desktop and actual start menu to use most of the time, then go putz around in the 'metro' interface.  There is some getting used to the...experience, but otherwise I am liking it so far, and hell, I bought the technet subscription so I can test set up a test environment, may as well give windows 8 a good go.  I have backup image of my win7 install so if push really came to shove I can revert.

Don't let the 'metro' interface turn you off until you have given it a nice long go of it, like a week or two and force yourself to use it, I think most would be pleasantly surprised...imho.  I was in the original camp of "omg that interface looks wretched, no way in hell I'll be using that anytime soon"  well I gave in and now (pending some new drivers come out for my titanium HD) I can put that issue to rest. 

Classic shell (FREE of cost, and free of malware/spyware etc) will allow you to ease into it while you get used to it at your own pace.  Will I eventually move completely over to the metro start for good?  can't see that happening until there are more apps that are made for it.  otherwise, the desktop is my go to UI. 

Seriously, don't just briefly glance at screenshots or videos, or even a few minutes on the preview.  Actually use it for an extended period of time. 

I'm no fan boy believe me.  Microsoft really needs to focus on NOT alienating its userbase. 

Precisely.

I've always been interested in Windows 8 purely from a performance perspective, as its kernel is very noticeably improved, but any people seem unable or unwilling to look past the presented UI.

While I respect people who enjoy Modern UI, I personally will leave it almost entirely disabled, and I say almost because a few Explorer features require partial Modern UI presence on the background. Modern UI doesn't bring anything new or useful for my workflow, but the core refinements are very much desirable up to the point an upgrade from Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 8 is recommended.

All in all, the worst case scenario I've seen is that Windows 8 performs like Windows 7, but on most apps it's higher performing.

Users that have purchased computers with Windows 7 preinstalled between July 2nd 2012 and January 31th 2013 are eligible for a Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $15 (NA), €15 (EU) or £15 (UK). Users that have a Windows XP/Vista/7 license are eligible for a Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $40 (NA), €40 (EU) or £40 (UK).

Windows 8 becomes available to the public at October 26th, both Retail, System Builder and Upgrade versions. Upgrade offers for preexisting clients is available here: http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #7,431 of 10,933
Well my performance is bottlenecked by my HDD more than anything right now, Win7 doesn't really seem to get in the way. I haven't looked much at the different UI's but I'll have to check them out.

I'm not saying it's definitely going to be bad I just don't have my hopes up. I doubt I'm going to upgrade.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #7,432 of 10,933
From a performance perspective, it's the opposite of bad. RTM is available since August 15th, and everything is smoother and more agile than on Windows 7. HDDs are especially better put to use, which is one of the most unexpected things, in part related to a far smarter cache management system.

There is only one stock UI that along DP, CP and RP has been "fused" with the OS up to the point where registry entries that could easily be tweaked to restore much of Windows Vista/7 UI features have been entirely removed. Luckily there are already enough (free) 3rd party products to fix that.
Windows 8 UI has its userbase on two opposite sides, the people who accept and embrace the new OS (I've known people that have become quite efficient at using Modern UI) and people who find forced changes to habits that date many years isn't the way to go and having said changes as optional would work best. The two prime examples of forced changes are the stock boot to Modern UI that relegates Explorer to a pseudo app state and the removal of the start menu.

Basically it's like this, Windows 8 is a logical upgrade from a performance standpoint, and for long time Windows users Modern UI does "get in the way" simply because it goes against many old habits that are very well rooted. Considering Microsoft is doing a platform unification move both now and on the coming years, there will be further usability issues on future OSes. But again, as long as I'm able to restore core mechanics from previous OSes, I'm set :)

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #7,433 of 10,933
Being pretty up to date in the PC tech industry (used to write hardware reviews, current job doesn't leave time for that but I still keep up) there are two views on Windows 8 from people I know:

1) They hate it, but have never used it, or only for a few minutes
2) They like the improvements it brings, and have used it extensively

:wink:

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #7,434 of 10,933
Metro is just stupid and backwards for PC, the end, this is getting far off topic, needs to move to another thread.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #7,436 of 10,933

There be my setup; the cheap headphone amp I ordered on ebay hasn't showed up yet though :frowning2:

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #7,438 of 10,933
Were the old speakers M-Audio?  If so, what are the new ones and how do they compare?  I recognize them, just don't know what they are exactly.

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #7,440 of 10,933
Got Rocksmith on Steam and ordered the guitar cable on Amazon. I never got into Guitar Hero because of the plastic guitar. Looking forward to seeing what Rocksmith has to offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back