Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Mar 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #6,841 of 10,930
My issue with itunes are the incessant bugs and problems. I don't know how many times I've seen my entire collection just disappear, my whole PC just completely lock up, or itunes hadn't launched despite starting the program and killing in task manager 10 or more times. 

I will admit that it can be a wonky experience on Windows. Maybe I'll give Zune another shot for my Windows PCs.

Mar 31, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #6,842 of 10,930
Quote:
J River is worth $50 to me just to have combined flexibility of Foobar in technical terms with an interface similar to but better than itunes. Since starting to use J River I've really enjoyed the act of listening and browsing my library significantly more than when I was using Foobar.

OTOH I uninstalled the trial rather quickly since the UI was way to flashy, completely reliant on album art in full screen navigation, and its auto album art tagger raped my OCRemixes with rap album covers...

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6,843 of 10,930
I actually prefer browsing with album art as the primary.

Mar 31, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #6,844 of 10,930
Sources: Rotel Turntable w/Grado Red cartridge, Macbook Pro iTunes w/Bitperfect, running through--->
Bellar vp130 Tube pre-amp, MSB Link DAC (via optical) ---->
Dynaco Pat-5 Stereo Preamp and Dynaco 120 Power amplifier---->
Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers, Grado Sr60i, or Thinksound ts-02. 

At my other station I've got an airport express feeding a Nuforce icon HDP and m-Audio AV40 powered monitors. 

Mar 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #6,846 of 10,930
Audiophile scam has a nice ring to it. I mean, for it to be classified as such by an online troubleshooting reporter, makes one wonder...

Mar 31, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #6,847 of 10,930
That link is fake. It shows up to everyone the same way. I don't have the foo_jplay.dll installed on my computer and it looks the same to me as it does to anyone else. JPlay installed or not..

I tired out JPlay, before it had the media player add on's, and I thought it sounded great.

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #6,848 of 10,930

Quote:
That link is fake. It shows up to everyone the same way. I don't have the foo_jplay.dll installed on my computer and it looks the same to me as it does to anyone else. JPlay installed or not..

I tired out JPlay, before it had the media player add on's, and I thought it sounded great.

How exactly is the link fake? The site is legit and users who don't have foo_jplay.dll can see the report done on it. Online troubleshooter links can be shared with anyone.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #6,849 of 10,930
I have been using JPLAY for app. 4 months with no problems - only issues have been through my lack of computer experience - and the authors of JPLAY, Marcin and Josef have supplied best after sales help and support I have ever  received. But bottom line is the SQ, which has improved noticeably with each update
Never knew snakes could sound so good!!!

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #6,850 of 10,930

Quote:
How exactly is the link fake? The site is legit and users who don't have foo_jplay.dll can see the report done on it. Online troubleshooter links can be shared with anyone.

Oh.. Uh.. Ok. Well then. I thought it was one of those parts of a site where, for example, you get your computer virus scanned, or check for driver updates.. My mistake. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #6,851 of 10,930
Foobar developers are pretty open that they don't believe playback software affects sound quality.  Honestly stock Foobar doesn't even sound as good as JRiver, probably because they haven't bothered to design the bit-perfect outputs because they don't believe it will affect sound quality.  I wouldn't be surprised given their beliefs that they would consider JPlay snakeoil. 

They guys at JPLay put a lot of work into what they do, Hibernate Mode is the real deal, it really does suspend windows and stop all I/O activity to the hard drives, and in my ears anyway it really does sound different.  They do a lot more work than just dipping resistors in black goop, and they honestly appear to drink the Kool Aid by investing heavily in testing computer hardware setups.  

Other developers have worked on audiophile playback software for no profit at all, for example CMP2/CPLay Pureplayer, Fidelizer. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #6,852 of 10,930

Quote:
Foobar developers are pretty open that they don't believe playback software affects sound quality.  Honestly stock Foobar doesn't even sound as good as JRiver, probably because they haven't bothered to design the bit-perfect outputs because they don't believe it will affect sound quality.  I wouldn't be surprised given their beliefs that they would consider JPlay snakeoil. 

They guys at JPLay put a lot of work into what they do, Hibernate Mode is the real deal, it really does suspend windows and stop all I/O activity to the hard drives, and in my ears anyway it really does sound different.  They do a lot more work than just dipping resistors in black goop, and they honestly appear to drink the Kool Aid by investing heavily in testing computer hardware setups.  

Other developers have worked on audiophile playback software for no profit at all, for example CMP2/CPLay Pureplayer, Fidelizer. 

I feel that playback software does make a difference, how ever slight, I noticed a difference when I went from Foobar using WASAPI to Fidelia Advanced. I never tried JPlay on my windows machine before a sold it, but if I still had my windows computer I would defiantly give it a shot, especially now seeing what a difference Fidelia Advanced has made.

I think things like playback software fall into the same space as Hi-res digital audio, cabling, etc, some people will (or want to) hear a difference and will swear by it, others wont and I think that most people sit somewhere in the middle, I know I do.

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #6,855 of 10,930

Quote:
Here's the thread about Jplay from FB2K's forum on Hydrogenaudio: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=93807

IMO its the same impasse as there is with audiophile cables, but IMO F2K border on slander when they claim JPlay is snake oil, it does everything it claims to short of being able to prove audible differences with DBT.  Some of those guys over on Hydrogen audio seem to not have much better to do with their time than to inflate their egos by first researching and then mocking audiophiles...  Not very attractive character traits IMO.

I think JRiver and F2K are acting for different reasons though, as at least JRiver pitches their player at audiophiles with features like DSD, kernel streaming, memory playback, it seems quite hypocritical to me, and I can understand why they are trying to distance themselves from JPlay given the "snake oil" label some are giving them, limiting potential negative associations between the products etc.  I think common sense will always render audiophile claims as absurd, and those who profit from this apparent absurdity as snake oil salesmen, this is no surprise really.  To be honest though this does put me off JRiver though, as they could have requested the amendment to JPlay's  website in a more discrete manner rather than feeding the flames.

IMO JRIver is now sitting on the proverbial fence, but by distancing themselves from JPlay, they have moved themselves closer to F2K, which is free, as well as Media Monkey, which is also free.  This is a bad move IMO...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back