Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Mar 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #6,797 of 10,933
Here's my setup.  Source is a Twisted Pear Opus with transformer outputs.  Headamp is a balanced dynalo (dynamid) to Grado HF-2s.  Recently got a set of Mini Magnepans driven by an old Adcom amp and a diy tube pre.  Still playing around with placement and maybe some acoustic treatment.  

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #6,798 of 10,933

Quote:
Here's my setup.  Source is a Twisted Pear Opus with transformer outputs.  Headamp is a balanced dynalo (dynamid) to Grado HF-2s.  Recently got a set of Mini Magnepans driven by an old Adcom amp and a diy tube pre.  Still playing around with placement and maybe some acoustic treatment.  

How does the Twisted Pear Opus sound? I've heard good things about Twisted Pear and got curious about them.

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #6,799 of 10,933
The Opus is really my first proper source, so I can't give much comparison with any other dacs.  However, I've found the dac to be detailed, warm, and featuring a decent soundstage.  Most people build the Opus with the IVY as an output stage, which I think would have a greater impact on the sound.  I initially built the amp as an inexpensive way to get a balanced source, later adding the TPA metronome module, and finally replacing the output caps with Lundahl transformers.

The Opus is a good project, but the Buffalo dac seems to be a more interesting project because of the endless number I/Vs one can connect to it.  Whereas with the Opus, the I/V is done internally (with opamps).

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #6,800 of 10,933

Quote:
The Opus is really my first proper source, so I can't give much comparison with any other dacs.  However, I've found the dac to be detailed, warm, and featuring a decent soundstage.  Most people build the Opus with the IVY as an output stage, which I think would have a greater impact on the sound.  I initially built the amp as an inexpensive way to get a balanced source, later adding the TPA metronome module, and finally replacing the output caps with Lundahl transformers.

The Opus is a good project, but the Buffalo dac seems to be a more interesting project because of the endless number I/Vs one can connect to it.  Whereas with the Opus, the I/V is done internally (with opamps).

Hum, it's the first time I hear of the Buffalo DAC. It has to be quite good to beat the Opus, although it seems to be more about flexibility.

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #6,801 of 10,933
How has no one commented on those gorgeous little Mini Maggies. I just wish they didn't cost so much...The fact I can buy a pair of 1.7s for that much is just odd to me.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #6,802 of 10,933
How's the cost of the Mini-maggies compared to the MMGs?

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #6,805 of 10,933
My current setup. Will all be replaced eventually with a Woo Audio WA5LE, an HD800, and a Rein Audio X-DAC 110V.

Mar 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #6,806 of 10,933
True the mini maggies approach the price of the 1.7s (I purchased a demo model with full warranty so I received a great price), but their intended application is completely different.  Whereas the 1.7s and even MMGs require a large room, i can sit these on my desk and have a good 1.5-2ft clearance from the backwall and get great sound.  The desktop setup does lack the impact that the larger 1.7 and 3.7, but given my constraints, that's acceptable to me.  What you're left with is a great desktop setup that is sort of the middle between a headphone and speaker setup (i.e. high detail and natural soundstage/imaging).  

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #6,807 of 10,933
True the mini maggies approach the price of the 1.7s (I purchased a demo model with full warranty so I received a great price), but their intended application is completely different.  Whereas the 1.7s and even MMGs require a large room, i can sit these on my desk and have a good 1.5-2ft clearance from the backwall and get great sound.  The desktop setup does lack the impact that the larger 1.7 and 3.7, but given my constraints, that's acceptable to me.  What you're left with is a great desktop setup that is sort of the middle between a headphone and speaker setup (i.e. high detail and natural soundstage/imaging).  

I don't doubt at all they're impressive, but man it's tough to swallow.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #6,809 of 10,933

Quote:

Have been meaning to compare my current setup to a pair of Mini-Maggies for a while now -- mainly it'd be a question of the dipoles and the ribbon sound. Would be curious to compare the speed and resolution too since I prefer my Stradas to the 1.6s I had earlier, although that might have been down to placement and room sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back