Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Mar 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #6,646 of 10,933

Quote:
Oh well, I never thought you would address my point but.. but you do have a much bigger and empowering desk/office I've seen surrounding your person when doing Head-Fi TV, so I guess you're allowed to have a cute computer desk for the smaller deeds :p ...

Hehe. Yes, there's also a larger desk area (with one of the Thunderbolt displays) in another part of the house. That area can (sort of) be seen in this photo and this other photo (although the layout is still somewhat similar, the gear in it changes from time to time).

...By the way Jude do you have pictures of the unboxing of the TH900 to be uploaded on Head-Fi Flickr Photo Gallery? Or is it just a sample you received for evaluation and you don't want to make it too official just yet?

I haven't uploaded it to Flickr yet (but will do so soon), but I did upload Fostex TH900 unboxing photos to a Head-Fi gallery, and that can be seen by clicking here.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #6,647 of 10,933
Quote:
I haven't uploaded it to Flickr yet (but will do so soon), but I did upload Fostex TH900 unboxing photos to a Head-Fi gallery, and that can be seen by clicking here.

Thank you these are exactly pictures like those I was hoping to see! Those are some of the earliest shots of the TH900 and since it has been announced for so long now and... wow! this is a gorgeous looking headphone the red is.. blissful. I'm looking forward to seeing people like you talk about it!

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #6,648 of 10,933

yep i have seen the caterpillar a couple times found this one
on my jd mower seat, 

this male was hangin out on my door step for about 24 hours,
they only live 7 days when they get wings, having no ability to eat.

Hey do you know much about computer audio? Just getting
somewhat serious about it and am looking for help / direction.
Here is what I have or have done so far.
Ripped my cds to flac (hydrogen audio)
foobar 2000
like my audio on a harddrive or usb stick for convience sake.
Recently put a receiver below my monitor and hooked pc to receiver.
receiver is running off line out at this point
(dang soundblaster cant give u digital out cable).
generally with soundblaster i turn everything off. 
denon avr-65 receiver is driving my akg701 headphones
and a big pair of paradigm monitor 9.ver4s sounds really awesome now imho.
just ordered used rotel rx-1052 off ebay which has a reputation for excellent 2 ch audio
(will replace denon with rotel soon ) . 
have never had a dac, thinking external portable dac
then can move it between systems if desired (xonar essence or ???)
and or maybe a new soundcard with a built in dac like asus xonar st or stx.
what do you think ???

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #6,649 of 10,933
350x488px-LL-5026e745_GTX480.jpeg

Woah! 

That is a lot to put in such a small space, how is the venting? what kind of temps are you getting when you play on games? what's the specs?
I am in the process of building my own comp and the case I bought is massive has loads of space for everything I want to put in it, here's a link to the case I have..... link ....

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #6,650 of 10,933
Asus and their Xonar looks to me like the best

I don't think I'm any more experienced in computer audio than you actually :p.

But if you are extreme about it, while making sure you're using Wasapi plugin for Foobar (to automatically change the output bit rate and length according to what is being playing back, mute all windows sound and reduce the latency of having to rely on Windows). There is also KS for Foobar and ASIO4ALL for Winamp.

Other than that, specific to computer audio is just about getting a modern DAC which has a USB port built in (you can try looking for asynchronous signal transfer), and a jitter reducing mechanism that goes with it. Something in the line of the Schiit Bifrost or higher grade. I use Furutech GT40 because I don't have anything better, since I have purchased quite a few headphones recently, and because I am on a laptop, but a good sound card doing the digital to analog conversion and a great headphone amp (picked according to your most loved or your best headphone) should do good job!

Personally I think that traditional soundcards (of a high quality) are still the best value you can get in terms of digital to analog conversion and power management, starting from your computer.

But please don't count too much on what I said, lol :-/ I don't have golden words and I listen to .mp3s of every quality. I am not savy about amps and DACs at all.

Oh yeah and finally I remember someone who had suggested me to download a certain program (I have forgot its name) that manages your CPU usage and RAM usage so that your system focuses the most of the audio player. It allows for more focus on the audio player and less hertz disturbance but I myself wouldn't use it, because I'm not expecting such a program to make a difference. I also find it a bit intrusive.

I don't know what do to with those monitors of yours though. I used to have computer speakers linked to my GT40's line out but nothing of that is fancy doing. I know nothing about speakers.

You look to have a great setup already I must say, that Denon and that Sony receiver also acts as amplifiers. Upgrading would cost a lot.

Personally I believe the headphone is the most important part of a audiophile chain but I tend to neglect a lot all of the other components. With that being said, I suggest you to buy better headphones :p, something like a flagship.

Still K701 looks magical according to this guy (one very good reaction to headphone upgrade)

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #6,651 of 10,933
I upgraded windows from XP 32bit to Windows 7 64bit...and I can tell you the ONLY, quite literally ONLY problems I had was god damn ASUS drivers.
Not buying from that company, ever again, and will avoid at ALL costs.
(not because of the drivers)
Due to many reasons...to the point that I was willing to take them to court (called trading standards here in the UK, and wrote the letter...never sent it in the end)

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #6,652 of 10,933
Quote:
I upgraded windows from XP 32bit to Windows 7 64bit...and I can tell you the ONLY, quite literally ONLY problems I had was god damn ASUS drivers.
Not buying from that company, ever again, and will avoid at ALL costs.
(not because of the drivers)
Due to many reasons...to the point that I was willing to take them to court (called trading standards here in the UK, and wrote the letter...never sent it in the end)

What problem so huge other than the drivers was it?

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #6,653 of 10,933
ignorance is bliss and saves money too :) 
i ditched my computer speakers for good.
I am absolutely convinced a good receiver or integrated amp like rotel
(maybe denon) is yet another good implementation of computer audio. 

blew my paradigm center channel or maybe crossover went, based on reviews
picked up a new one - ebay (not latest version but better sounding than current models imho).

You ever get something that makes you hear sounds you never heard before ???
well that is exactly what happened with paradigm center cc-390V6 (version 6). 
then started looking around at my other speakers (humans are never satisfied!).

Not in to high end, cant afford it, but like getting decent mid quality stuff. 
hate buying something twice, used or last years version is fine, new if necessary.

paradigm speakers are pretty amazing they have won more awards 
than any other speaker company. 
heres a pic of my living room setup. 

After hearing music and movies again,  like for the 1st time, I was inclined to buy 
speakers on either side of center for about 600 each (mains) after taxes
 paradigm monitor 11V6s.  Also have adp-370V4 surrounds (rightmost
speaker dipoles, very happy with surrounds - they go nice and low.
5 ch stereo is kinda cool,  sounds good in there imho, but need to get surrounds
about 1.5 feet below ceiling to make it amazing (my next project).
dang tax return always makes me feel like stimulating the economy :wink: 

Regarding what you said, Im running XP, guessing cannot do wasapi 
unless I go win 7. thanks alot for your help !

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #6,654 of 10,933

Quote:
Quote:

What problem so huge other than the drivers was it?

oh nothing...just wasting money for RMA's when in fact they shorted my board out during the process, then refused to acknowledge it.

After fixing it...they then made me believe that it was my RAM's fault "not being on the compatibility list" which lead to me running only on single channel via 2GB ram.

What came next is me buying some KINGSTON RAM, and calling kingston, the manufacturers of the ram, going through the BIOS with me and saying: "there is nothing wrong with your ram, it seems like its the motherboard, i would contact them"

As soon as i had this confirmation, when i emailed asus, their reply was:
Its not on our compatibility list.

In fact it wasn't EXACTLY but the only, quite literally the ONLY difference was:
One was NVIDIA SLI compatible, the other wasn't = no difference when we are talking compatibility.
More so, I wasn't using an nvidia chip either.

Ended the email conversations (after 5months), yes you read right, 5, five, cinq, months with them saying:
"any further emails you send to us will be ignored and put in our spam folder"

Since then I have all the emails and kept them as proof.
I Shall never, ever, buy a god damn asus product in my life.

The ones I have, barely work, and are a pain.
-My monitor started having blue line problems -> called asus, and they didn't help me 1 bit.
-My sound card had drivers problems before (not this time only) and the software is dismal
-My mum had laptop problems not only 1ce but 2x - she also had the HDD on the laptop fail on hr, meaning she lost all her work.

I've had it with rubbish, no customer service companies like asus.
Next time this comes up - i won't bother.
I'll send it back for a full refund, and more so, if they don't accept it, call the relevant government or lawyer to go all the way and sue them for the pain and time they cost me.

(this is why the law, has fascinated me since i was a kid, if i know I'm right, and have done nothing wrong, then who ever feels my wrath will feel the full force of it, type thing.)

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #6,655 of 10,933
I had started to like ASUS when they have finally released their Xonar Essence one, it was the first DAC / headphone amp I ever wanted, lol.

But I didn't like them before that and I don't care to forget them if you say they have awfully bad customer support. I hate that too.

I didn't bought the Essence One either.

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #6,656 of 10,933
My sympathies Totally Dubbed, those are always unfortunate situations. I went through similar issues but with Acer, a brand that I already knew was severely lacking in QC, but I decided to risk it. Well, lesson learned.

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #6,658 of 10,933

Quote:
I had started to like ASUS when they have finally released their Xonar Essence one, it was the first DAC / headphone amp I ever wanted, lol.

But I didn't like them before that and I don't care to forget them if you say they have awfully bad customer support. I hate that too.

I didn't bought the Essence One either.

No matter what they make I won't buy it - more so for pre-built PC's which I'm looking in the future of buying - I'll ask for a different MBO.

Quote:
My sympathies Totally Dubbed, those are always unfortunate situations. I went through similar issues but with Acer, a brand that I already knew was severely lacking in QC, but I decided to risk it. Well, lesson learned.

indeed lesson learnt....:/

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #6,659 of 10,933

Quote:

Haha I caught one of those suckers on the side of a Drug Mart once, and holy damn are they strong! It was like trying to hold a scared budgerigar....

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #6,660 of 10,933

Quote:
Woah! 

That is a lot to put in such a small space, how is the venting? what kind of temps are you getting when you play on games? what's the specs?
I am in the process of building my own comp and the case I bought is massive has loads of space for everything I want to put in it, here's a link to the case I have..... link ....

Not great, hence all the fans. The size of the NH-D14 prevents mounting of one of the side intake fans, so really the only intake is the angled 120mm below the GPU. CPU temps are just shy of 60'C during load (i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz, 1.300v). GPU gets pretty hot since the stack orientation actually works against the heatpipes, so while in a normal case it'd stay below 70'C in this one it pretty easily climbs to 80'C.

Not the best, but the size footprint can't really be beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back