Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Dec 11, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #5,806 of 10,930
Yeah, I know this was quite a few pages back. Just flipping through and saw this and said, "this is what I need!"

What kind of shelves are those? I've seen the type before, but don't have a name for them. Trying to get a few more pieces before I post my setup.

Quote:
Would you mind if I borrowed your idea? It's just too cool!

Here's a look at my updated setup
smily_headphones1.gif

2rwnf3t.jpg

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #5,807 of 10,930

Quote:
Here's my setup!  I actually don't have the Audioengine S8 anymore, but I got the HSU STF-1 instead (which sounds soooooooooo much better).  I also was able to upgrade my A5 to an A5+.  But the thing I'm actually most happy about in my setup are the hand built speaker stands that I made with my dad.  I lotta love and care went into building those. 

Very simple and clean. I love setups like this!

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #5,810 of 10,930
so im about to start putting some ideas for what i should get for my pc, i am start from nothing so i need to get everything that i will need for a good gaming rig. price limit is about 1.3 k GBP or 2k in USD, thanks for any imput.

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #5,811 of 10,930

Quote:
so im about to start putting some ideas for what i should get for my pc, i am start from nothing so i need to get everything that i will need for a good gaming rig. price limit is about 1.3 k GBP or 2k in USD, thanks for any imput.

With a budget like that, do all the things. i7 OC rig with dual GPU's, watercooling and a few TB's of space :)

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #5,812 of 10,930

Quote:
With a budget like that, do all the things. i7 OC rig with dual GPU's, watercooling and a few TB's of space :)

thanks for the input, but i have no idea where to start which i7 to buy there are a few of them, watercooling sounds awesome but i have no idea about where to get it from and what cases will fit what in, i have no idea whats good and whats not worth the money, i need the setup to last about 3 years.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #5,813 of 10,930

Quote:
thanks for the input, but i have no idea where to start which i7 to buy there are a few of them, watercooling sounds awesome but i have no idea about where to get it from and what cases will fit what in, i have no idea whats good and whats not worth the money, i need the setup to last about 3 years.

if you are looking for 3 years.. I wouldn't put in 2k. I'd put in 1k, build something that will last you at least a couple of years, and then build another rig at that point with the rest of that money:p That should span you 4,5,6 years just fine, depending on what you are planning to use it for. 

Not to say a 2 thousand dollar computer won't last you 3 years, because it will. I just believe that a thousand dollar computer in 2 years is going to be much nicer than a 2 thousand dollar computer built now. That's just how technology goes. No point in buying the "best of the best" when there is always new stuff coming out. Get what fits your needs for now and will continue to do so for a while, don't spend all your money trying to future-proof, just build with the idea of upgrading eventually. That's the best advice I can give. Get a nice roomy case with plenty of room to store anything you can throw at it. I'm partial to the coolermaster haf series, myself. I'm also partial to the i5 2500K/i7 2600k as far as processors go. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #5,814 of 10,930

Quote:
if you are looking for 3 years.. I wouldn't put in 2k. I'd put in 1k, build something that will last you at least a couple of years, and then build another rig at that point with the rest of that money:p That should span you 4,5,6 years just fine, depending on what you are planning to use it for. 

Not to say a 2 thousand dollar computer won't last you 3 years, because it will. I just believe that a thousand dollar computer in 2 years is going to be much nicer than a 2 thousand dollar computer built now. That's just how technology goes. No point in buying the "best of the best" when there is always new stuff coming out. Get what fits your needs for now and will continue to do so for a while, don't spend all your money trying to future-proof, just build with the idea of upgrading eventually. That's the best advice I can give. Get a nice roomy case with plenty of room to store anything you can throw at it. I'm partial to the coolermaster haf series, myself. I'm also partial to the i5 2500K/i7 2600k as far as processors go. 

Things have actually slowed down though. The leaps we're getting are so small that it's hard to say that it's truly worth it to upgrade every other year or so.

I agree though that buying something that runs games now and then overclocking it usually represents the best value. I'm running a 2500k at 4.5ghz + dual 460's in SLI. It's treating me just fine. :D

On the case matter though, the bigger you go the more fans and the more noise is required to keep it cool versus a smaller case. The less space you have to run air over the better.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #5,815 of 10,930

Quote:

Things have actually slowed down though. The leaps we're getting are so small that it's hard to say that it's truly worth it to upgrade every other year or so.

I agree though that buying something that runs games now and then overclocking it usually represents the best value. I'm running a 2500k at 4.5ghz + dual 460's in SLI. It's treating me just fine. :D

On the case matter though, the bigger you go the more fans and the more noise is required to keep it cool versus a smaller case. The less space you have to run air over the better.

Very valid points. I have a 2500k at only 4.1Ghz (stock mobo overclock because I haven't put much time into researching it and I have a pain in the butt mobo) and I have a stock overclock edition of a HD6870. The HAF 992 is actually very quiet and cool, while being extremely roomy. My hyper212+ cpu cooler makes more noise than all the 200mm fans in the case. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #5,816 of 10,930

Quote:

I never thought about it this way - makes sense though.  My only problem is that Antec CP-850 PSU, which has the lowest ripple I have seen anywhere, only fits in the big Antec cases.  This is for a music server though, not a gaming PC so cooling is not so important (in fact I'd rather go fanless if the temps hold up)

Pretty different machine to a gaming rig though.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #5,817 of 10,930
Heh, yeah casings can be weird.

I actually work for a company helping to design and critique new cases in return getting free gear. other members of the board I'm on have actually designed entire cases that are VERY popular. I can't go too much into detail due to NDA but the reason I can't post pictures of my updated setup is because it's sitting in one of these NDA'd products.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #5,818 of 10,930

Quote:

On the CPU front, anyways -- no one will need more than an i5-2500K for gaming for quite a while.

I'm disappointed that the GTX 580 (which I have) is still the incumbent king after over a year, but we're GPU-limited right now and Kepler and Southern Islands look very delicious. I'm already itching to upgrade.

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #5,819 of 10,930

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the CPU front, anyways -- no one will need more than an i5-2500K for gaming for quite a while.

I'm disappointed that the GTX 580 (which I have) is still the incumbent king after over a year, but we're GPU-limited right now and Kepler and Southern Islands look very delicious. I'm already itching to upgrade.

And to think that I'm still using a Q6600 (albeit overclocked to 3.2 GHz) and an 8800 GT with reasonable comfort after four years...

Newer graphics cards have been tempting, but I think I'll wait just one more generation before I make my move, even if it's the generation after that which is touted to bring the biggest increases. I don't want to end up like the guys who bought the 9800 XT just before the 6800 Ultra, or the 7950GX2 just before the 8800 GTX...

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #5,820 of 10,930

Quote:

And to think that I'm still using a Q6600 (albeit overclocked to 3.2 GHz) and an 8800 GT with reasonable comfort after four years...

Newer graphics cards have been tempting, but I think I'll wait just one more generation before I make my move, even if it's the generation after that which is touted to bring the biggest increases. I don't want to end up like the guys who bought the 9800 XT just before the 6800 Ultra, or the 7950GX2 just before the 8800 GTX...

As long as you get the frames you need in the games you want to play there's no need to upgrade IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back