Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
May 10, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #3,961 of 10,933
Quote:

...the integration of software written specifically for hardware made by the same company.

I'll take versatility over playing in someone's walled garden.  Apple my give you a slightly better guarantee, polish, or fit and finish but it comes at a significant expense to versatility.

Since the days of XP I rarely ran any anti virus software on my Windows machines and never once got a virus or piece of malware.  My current Win7 desktop has a nearly 50% overclock and recently had 5 1/2 months of uptime.  What exactly is supposed to be easier, safer, or more stable?

I hate Microsoft a lot more than I hate Apple, but as long as windows machines are more versatile I'll continue to use them.  Its pretty much that simple.

May 11, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #3,962 of 10,933
BACK ON TRACK
And sorry my cabling was good until I went to raid... 7 sata cables off a raid card is not to easy to hide...

AND MY RAID CARD

May 11, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #3,963 of 10,933
I appreciate a good product for what it is, regardless of how people feel about it or who makes it.

I build computers and work in the computer support/repair industry.  Even though I work mainly with Windows/PC based systems I can appreciate an Apple computer (or any of their products for that matter) for what it is.  Superior build quality and part selection.  You can't argue with that.  Sometimes they are behind the curve with their tech, iphone for example ... but when they make something they do it well. Their OS might not be the most powerful or versatile but it does work extremely well for what it can do. 

I do find it weird that there aren't more hardcore Apple fanboiz on here, an audiophile forum $$$$. lol

Anyway ... enough of my rant. Forgot to post my computer specs!

Intel Core i7-970 @ 4GHz (3.75GHz 24/7)
Asus Rampage III Formula
12GB (3x 4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
2x XFX HD6950 2GB crossfire
OCZ Vertex 2 180GB SSD
2x WD 1TB
2TB GoFlex USB 3.0

May 11, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #3,964 of 10,933
Yes back on track :) 

May 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #3,965 of 10,933
You know what I hear every time someone says the words 'Mac Fanboi'? 

This:

"You don't like what I like so I'm going to dismiss your possibly equally valid opinions by passing them off as the ignorant swill of a simple-minded peon who can't tell the difference between quality and slick marketing. I mean, obviously I'm better than you."

It's no better than the people who say 'Windoze'.

Seriously guys, can't we all just agree to disagree and get back to talking about how much Beats suck?

May 11, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #3,966 of 10,933

Quote:
Umm... I have no problems with my software... Maybe you just aren't very good at computers. In fact I find many mac programs to be VERY dumbed down which is why you might like them more.

Why do you keep trying to make this personal? What are you attempting to compensate for? Honestly, I don't understand the hostility here.

And what "rules" are you referring to? I certainly haven't broken any that I know of but please enlighten me.

You certainly haven't made any compelling arguments besides the fact that you can build your own computer to your own satisfaction. I would rather spend my time using one than building it but I can see the appeal. 

May 11, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #3,968 of 10,933

Quote:

Why do you keep trying to make this personal? What are you attempting to compensate for?

I'm sorry I meant they are dumbed down for not computer savvy users. Not that you are dumb... My bad
And obviously I have a tiny penis. And same with everyone else does here... I mean come on why else would we spend all this money on computers and audio... isn't it obvious none of us have girls... JK

Quote:

CM 690 Nvidia edition I see. Had that case before my HAF X, really good cooling.

Not nvidea (lol ATI ALL THE WAY)... I just replaced the side and bottom fan with green antec tricools... the rest are blue antec tricools... and I'm thinking of getting a new case because I've been mining bitcoins (hit $6 today woot woot) and I cant overclock my card without the case getting to hot. Only problem is not many have room for all my HDDs. :frowning2: may get antec 1200)

May 11, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #3,969 of 10,933
Bloodthirsty PC user, lol.

"Smug" in this context just means being satisfied with my choice, and not tolerating being bullied by inferior arguments, malicious attacks, and condescension. If that makes some of you feel better and me smug then so be it. Peace through strength baby!

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming, here's the "man cave"; I'm not too much into furnishings down here in the basement:

There's a turntable above the amp (not worth a photo) and a balanced phono stage down below (killer but stashed away) as well. Also for archiving there's a Droboshare with 6 TB of storage tucked away, to add to the two 640 GB and two 750 GB working drives in the Mac. The first 640 has the Mac OS and Windows 7 in a Boot Camp partition, and the second 640 has the interactive Time Machine backup for the boot drive on it. One 750 GB drive is working storage for the Windows (I can spell it correctly lol) 7 OS, and one is for the Mac. The Drobo backs them all up plus has plenty of room for a ripped dvd archive. RAID is RAID, you can install it on any system but I prefer Time Machine and the Drobo. I also have a stand-alone 1 TB USB drive online for my ALAC files (also backed up to the Drobo), and two stand-alone optical drives: one for blu-ray and one for DVD/CD media because the latter is pre-DRM and therefore works way better than the SuperDrives do for ripping. 8 GB RAM, quad Nehalim 2.93. I game on consoles so that's all I need but it blows my mind that the Mac Pro is already available with up to 64 GB of RAM, and twelve cores (two2.93GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Westmere processors). If I swing around on my chair I have a 37" Vizio with a Bose Cinemamate 2.1 sound system both fully integrated into the rest of the computer/audio setup, plus the PS3 which is only connected to the Vizio.

May 11, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #3,971 of 10,933

Quote:
What's Time Machine

EDIT: google found my answer. If you're so concerned about security, why don't you just set up RAID to protect your stuff? Oh wait, that's right. Apple charges $700 for a f**king RAID card!

next.

I just have to say that you don't need a hardware RAID card to setup a RAID, as I know OS X, Linux, and I believe Windows all have the built-in ability to create a software RAID array. Further, true hardware RAID cards do cost in the upper hundreds of dollars. Anything that claims to be a RAID card and isn't hundreds of dollars is simply a SATA card with software to create a RAID array.

Finally, RAID and backing up are not the same thing. Time Machine, along with most other backup software, is versioned, so you can restore to an older version of your data in case of corruption, accidental deletion, etc. Whereas RAID 1 only stores a single copy of the same, current data, RAID 5 only protects against a single drive failure, RAID 6 two, and RAID 0, well, isn't even redundant at all (AID 0?? 
wink.gif
). RAID is not a replacement for backing up, and anyone who thinks it is is simply fooling themselves.

May 11, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #3,972 of 10,933

Quote:
I just have to say that you don't need a hardware RAID card to setup a RAID, as I know OS X, Linux, and I believe Windows all have the built-in ability to create a software RAID array. Further, true hardware RAID cards do cost in the upper hundreds of dollars. Anything that claims to be a RAID card and isn't hundreds of dollars is simply a SATA card with software to create a RAID array.  
Finally, RAID and backing up are not the same thing. Time Machine, along with most other backup software, is versioned, so you can restore to an older version of your data in case of corruption, accidental deletion, etc. Whereas RAID 1 only stores a single copy of the same, current data, RAID 5 only protects against a single drive failure, RAID 6 two, and RAID 0, well, isn't even redundant at all (AID 0?? 
wink.gif
). RAID is not a replacement for backing up, and anyone who thinks it is is simply fooling themselves.

I have a back up of my 7drive raid 6 array. Perc 6/i is a very good and very well know controller. Also I would say it is a replacement for backing up.

May 11, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #3,973 of 10,933

Quote:
Nice stuff.

Thanks, it's really the only "pro" computer I've ever had. I've always moped along with iMacs, eMacs, laptops, cheap PC towers and a couple of desktop systems but I've been lusting after a Mac tower forever. I'm glad I waited, this one should do for a good long while. I've always been "too demanding" for my computer until now so it's nice not to have to wait for it to catch up all the time which can be quite frustrating. The worst was running the Cinema Display out of my old 17" Powerbook, that sucked in many, many ways.

May 11, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #3,974 of 10,933

Quote:

Thanks, it's really the only "pro" computer I've ever had. I've always moped along with iMacs, eMacs, laptops, cheap PC towers and a couple of desktop systems but I've been lusting after a Mac tower forever. I'm glad I waited, this one should do for a good long while. I've always been "too demanding" for my computer until now so it's nice not to have to wait for it to catch up all the time which can be quite frustrating. The worst was running the Cinema Display out of my old 17" Powerbook, that sucked in many, many ways.

Used to use the Mac towers in my graphic design class all the time. We had 30 XP computers and two Mac towers. I was the only one of the whole class to use the Mac towers. I refused to use Windows XP for photoshop. I also wouldnt say Macs are dumbed down, but user friendly.('Politically Correct' term for dumbed down? lol) Kudos to anyone that can deal with those keyboards though.

May 11, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #3,975 of 10,933

Quote:

wink.gif

Yes, you can even setup a RAID array on Windows 98, both hardware and software solutions are available but usually a combination as you said.

Quote:

Used to use the Mac towers in my graphic design class all the time. We had 30 XP computers and two Mac towers. I was the only one of the whole class to use the Mac towers. I refused to use Windows XP for photoshop. I also wouldnt say Macs are dumbed down, but user friendly.('Politically Correct' term for dumbed down? lol) Kudos to anyone that can deal with those keyboards though.

I really like the newer Mac keyboards, to the point that I have a hard time with the old-style spring keyboards now. But I am not a PC gamer or even a touch typist. I use my Mac for Photoshop but my scanner driver just expired for W7 and Snow Leopard so now I scan on my XP system.

By user friendly I think you mean more intuitive. One fact that always stands out for me when doing cost corporate cost comparisons is that the $ savings for Windows machines in an enterprise environment is usually offset by higher training costs as more classes are usually required for the employees that use Windows OS and software compared to Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back