Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Aug 1, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #2,072 of 10,933

Quote:
What blu-ray drive is that?

Samsung SH-B083L

It was the best bang for buck Blu-ray drive at the time being. Unfortunately I have problems with it. It seems it gets too hot when importing CD's (not all but some) into iTunes (so I get snow on some tracks at certain points) and also had problems while watching Avatar. All the other movies to date (also Blu-ray) I had no problems with. But I am getting it replaced because of the guarantee. I am sure my new SH-B083L will be just fine. 

A random review on the web says

Positive
  1. Fast and reliable CD/DVD reader
  2. Strong with defected CDs/DVDs
  3. Fast Blu-ray reader
  4. Generally good CD/DVD writing quality
  5. BookType support
  6. Overburns CD-Rs
  7. Great software bundle
Negative
  1. Writing quality of DVD-R/+R DL and specific DVD+Rs

Although I don't have the software since I have an OEM version (purchased right away with the whole setup), which is cheaper. I think it costs like 75 EUR at the time. Now it's up for sale at amazon.com @ $80. 

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #2,076 of 10,933

Quote:
I would recommmend the Samsung Sycnmaster 2443BW to anyone who is looking for a 24'' with 1920 x 1200 resolution. Great screen and it doesn't cost that much (under 250 EUR in Holland at the moment;  if you look at the right webshops). Only downside is the viewing angles and such because it is a TN panel. 

I agree, I'm using that monitor and it's great. Plus it's adjustable in height, can be used in portrait mode and is 16:10 instead of 16:9. It doesn't have hdmi though.

p.s: I also use the CM 690
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #2,077 of 10,933
Very nice. Are you using tatami as the desk surface?

And are you driving the KEF's with the mini system (Onkyo or Denon?)?

Quote:
small&simple ...

Aug 3, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #2,078 of 10,933
thanks, jubei.

yes, the onkyo drives the kefs. would prefer to pair the speakers with something more appropriate, but it's ok for the moment. (since you also happen to have kef speakers - what amp would you recommend?)

and yes, the tatamis *are* my desk. i used to sit on them for years until my aging legs started to hurt ...

below: same room, same tatamis, 8 years ago (my headphones ... lol)

Quote:
Very nice. Are you using tatami as the desk surface?

And are you driving the KEF's with the mini system (Onkyo or Denon?)?

Aug 3, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #2,079 of 10,933
I have the same speakers ... or at least they look the same, since the new versions look pretty much the same. I use them as my main speakers in my living room for watching DVDs with my Pioneer VSX-D2011, but really I've read some mags that pair the KEFs with smaller systems like yours. So no worries as long as they sound good to you!

For my PC, I'm using pretty ancient Altec Lansing 221 speakers ... :frowning2: Would like something better but I don't have enough space or depth to place anything remotely proper on my desk.

I like the smell of tatamis :)

Quote:
thanks, jubei.

yes, the onkyo drives the kefs. would prefer to pair the speakers with something more appropriate, but it's ok for the moment. (since you also happen to have kef speakers - what amp would you recommend?)

and yes, the tatamis *are* my desk. i used to sit on them for years until my aging legs started to hurt ...

below: same room, same tatamis, 8 years ago (my headphones ... lol)

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #2,080 of 10,933

Quote:
i posted in another thread but i don't think i've done this one yet ..... i've been thinking about switching things up now that i've made some room for some listening time everyday

Nice watch, which model it is?

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #2,081 of 10,933
Aug 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #2,084 of 10,933
me too, i love tatami smell.

my kefs are probably the same as yours - q1. i'd like to give them a proper amp, but the problem is space.

btw, same room again, 1 year ago, after a little earthquake ... (i was lucky not to sit there when it happened)

Quote:
I have the same speakers ... or at least they look the same, since the new versions look pretty much the same. I use them as my main speakers in my living room for watching DVDs with my Pioneer VSX-D2011, but really I've read some mags that pair the KEFs with smaller systems like yours. So no worries as long as they sound good to you!

For my PC, I'm using pretty ancient Altec Lansing 221 speakers ... :frowning2: Would like something better but I don't have enough space or depth to place anything remotely proper on my desk.

I like the smell of tatamis :)

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #2,085 of 10,933
Yup - mine are Q1 as well, same finishing too. Space is an issue over here in Hong Kong as well, and my PC / work area is nowhere as tidy as yours!

Quote:
me too, i love tatami smell.

my kefs are probably the same as yours - q1. i'd like to give them a proper amp, but the problem is space.

btw, same room again, 1 year ago, after a little earthquake ... (i was lucky not to sit there when it happened)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back