Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Jun 6, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #451 of 10,933
IMG_2783-800.jpg

For me it's all about being silent (without pouring water into my PC)... I sure became a Noctua fanboy and would never use anything else again.
  1. Intel E8400 + Noctua NH-U12 Cooler + Noctua NF-P12 Fan @ 900rpm (absolutely quiet)
  2. Sapphire Radeon HD4870 + Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo tweaked via RivaTuner (absolutely quiet)
  3. Corsair XMS 2; 2GB (that's enough for me... and XP 32bit)
  4. Asus P5Q Pro
  5. Echo AudioFire4
  6. Samsung Spinpoint F1 320GB system disk, suspended in a rubber case (the quietest 3.5" HDD I heard so far, single platter, cool and fast)
  7. Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB data disk, suspended in a rubber case (the quietest 3.5" HDD I heard so far, cool and fast)
  8. Maxtor Diamond Liquid Bearing 300 GB data disk, suspended in a rubber case (old but good)
  9. Enermax Modu82+ 525W PSU @ 500rpm (absolutely quiet as well)
  10. Lian Li A07B black brushed aluminum case + 2x Noctua NF-P12 fans @ 900rpm, with rubber suspensions (yeah, totally quiet again)
  11. Samsung SyncMaster 2493HM @ 1920x1200

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #452 of 10,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[*]Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB data disk, suspended in a rubber case (the quietest 3.5" HDD I heard so far, cool and fast)

Don't see this as a flame: be sure to have a backup of your data. Samsung F1 HDD's die like one-day flies.

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #453 of 10,933
From all I know there were some flaws with the 750GB variant a year or so ago - don't really know if that applies to the newer 1TB variants as well. I really weighed my pros and cons, Spinpoint vs. WD Caviar. Both are fast, quiet, cool running - the Spinpoint a bit more than the WD. It might be that the Spinpoint really has reliability issues, or maybe it's just statistics, Samsung selling more HDDs, thus more complaints about failures in comments/reviews. Either way, yes, I do backups on external HDDs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #454 of 10,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From all I know there were some flaws with the 750GB variant a year or so ago - don't really know if that applies to the newer 1TB variants as well. I really weighed my pros and cons, Spinpoint vs. WD Caviar. Both are fast, quiet, cool running - the Spinpoint a bit more than the WD. It might be that the Spinpoint really has reliability issues, or maybe it's just statistics, Samsung selling more HDDs, thus more complaints about failures in comments/reviews. Either way, yes, I do backups on external HDDs.
smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately it's not, the 1TB F1s get many many "zomg my drive has died" posts in forums... But if you do have backups it's only an issue of money (you saved some when you bought Samsung), not a zomg-disaster one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #455 of 10,933
Lol I'm embarrassed with my computer rig. It's an OB card - > MS-1 / Aiwa speakers.
Plus the whole desk is filled with books and papers and other crap.
At the summer when I finish with every thing, and I'll organize my stuff I'll post a computer rig picture.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #457 of 10,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol I'm embarrassed with my computer rig. It's an OB card - > MS-1 / Aiwa speakers.
Plus the whole desk is filled with books and papers and other crap.
At the summer when I finish with every thing, and I'll organize my stuff I'll post a computer rig picture.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't worry about it. A pretty desk is an unused desk.

Jun 6, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #458 of 10,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

OK, then I'll post pictures
smily_headphones1.gif

Because my stupid 80gig IDE HDD with all my music doesn't work I have to use the iPod as a source.
iPod Classic 80gig -> AKAI AA-910 Receiver from 1973 -> Alessandro MS-1

My desk and most of my room from the bed.

My Ikea chair that I rarely use

Close-up on the desk

Jun 6, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #459 of 10,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuttleboi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of lights do you have behind the desk?

How do you like that dual-monitor arm? Is there any sagging down by monitors?

The lights are just simple florescent cabinet lights, $6.99 at Wal-Mart. (T5, 12'')

The monitor arm is a Humanscale M7. It's pretty fancy as far as monitor arms go, very solid. No sagging or any other issues.

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #460 of 10,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by condor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately it's not, the 1TB F1s get many many "zomg my drive has died" posts in forums... But if you do have backups it's only an issue of money (you saved some when you bought Samsung), not a zomg-disaster one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't jinx my drives.
tongue.gif

I'm using two of the 1TB Samsung drives. One is my media drive and one is a backup drive (for the media drive and system drive).
They do run cooler than the Seagate 500GB drive they replaced. About 10 C cooler (they're in passively cooled aluminum external SATA enclosures).
They're also working correctly with an Nvidia chipset. Whatever problems there were with the Nvidia chipset seems to have been fixed.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #461 of 10,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Guess my desk is not pretty then, as I use it 3-4 hours a day..

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #462 of 10,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't jinx my drives.
tongue.gif

I'm using two of the 1TB Samsung drives. One is my media drive and one is a backup drive (for the media drive and system drive).
They do run cooler than the Seagate 500GB drive they replaced. About 10 C cooler (they're in passively cooled aluminum external SATA enclosures).
They're also working correctly with an Nvidia chipset. Whatever problems there were with the Nvidia chipset seems to have been fixed.

Again: as long as you have backups (you do) it's not that problem ;D
As long as you're not of the "ZOMG 4 SAMSUNG DRIVES of my RAID 5 FAILED AT ONCE!!!11" guys
biggrin.gif

Drive failing often isn't about temperature but about head crashes (see Wiki: Hard disk failure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and the famous IBM Deathstar article: Hitachi Deskstar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #463 of 10,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess my desk is not pretty then, as I use it 3-4 hours a day..

can I ask how is the glass fitted to the desk?

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #464 of 10,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can I ask how is the glass fitted to the desk?

It just lay loose on top of the desk itself.
The glass is quite heavy though, so there are no risk of accidental sliding.

Jun 7, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #465 of 10,933
Quote:

Originally Posted by condor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't see this as a flame: be sure to have a backup of your data. Samsung F1 HDD's die like one-day flies.

Sorry but this is rubbish. I am responsible for stationary machines in a computerstore, and we have probably sold a thousand+ of spinpoint F1 in the last year. Of all the drives the ones we get the most with faults these days are Seagate 1tb tbh (and SSDs lol).

I used to like WD alot, but all my new drives these days are Samsung spinpoint.
Of course we have faults on F1s as well, but it is surprisingly little compared to the volume we sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back