Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Feb 3, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #10,666 of 10,930
aONHMcu.jpg

I thought I would share my current project which is audio and video driven. I am putting together a server which could run any audio/video backbone and store the data. A quick summary of the parts and cost would be as follows:

SUPERMICRO X9DRi-F mb w/2 intel xeon cpu's 190
64g ram 104
Rosewill case 110
12 4tb wd red at 90 per
2 adaptec asr71605 70/per card
1000w corsair ps 200
2 1tb samsung evo ssd's 88/per ssd
misc cables, wires connectors, ssd case $40
extra gpu nobrand $50

Grand Total $2000. So far.

I've got the 2 raid cards with 6 drives each formatted for raid level 6. I have wound up with 28tb of usable space and have set the server up to be a hyper v server under windows 2016. I have an msdn license and wanted to play in the ms server eco system from a learning/professional side of things (I do a lot with Microsoft good or bad).

I've got 2 sans digital nas drives that will handle daily access. They are 18tb each raid level 5. One is remote.

A couple of questions:

1) I'm having trouble with some heat in the case and am planning on trying out some cpu coolers this weekend and may upgrade the fans in the case. Any other suggestions?

2) Since I'm using windows server backup software licensing is expensive. I'm thinking of spinning up a hyper v vm to run just backup software to get around the server costs. What software are you guys using to keep your stuff in sync?

Feb 3, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #10,667 of 10,930
I liked ZFS since the Solaris days and I still run it on SPARC servers.

I don't like Windows for a server and I can't see putting any money in that. My music server box is a Fujitsu office server (almost silent) running low-end XEONs and FreeBSD with ZFS mirror root. I like ZFS a lot better than hardware raid. The management features are great.

I don't know if you're planning to just server music and video or whether you're doing editing or transcoding but your setup is huge overkill for a media server unless you're serving a big number of clients (hundreds).

For backups I use rsync to a Linux box. Since the data lives on ZFS, I have the Linux backups on XFS and JFS. I figure between one of the three filesystems something has to survive no matter what :p

Supermicro makes nice chassis. Why don't you ask them about cooling?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #10,668 of 10,930
Feb 3, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #10,671 of 10,930
I liked ZFS since the Solaris days and I still run it on SPARC servers.

I don't like Windows for a server and I can't see putting any money in that. My music server box is a Fujitsu office server (almost silent) running low-end XEONs and FreeBSD with ZFS mirror root. I like ZFS a lot better than hardware raid. The management features are great.

I don't know if you're planning to just server music and video or whether you're doing editing or transcoding but your setup is huge overkill for a media server unless you're serving a big number of clients (hundreds).

For backups I use rsync to a Linux box. Since the data lives on ZFS, I have the Linux backups on XFS and JFS. I figure between one of the three filesystems something has to survive no matter what :p

Supermicro makes nice chassis. Why don't you ask them about cooling?
I understand a lot of folks don't like windows but some of us have to use it for a living. Having said that the 2 smaller boxes are both linux based. I also have removeable drives with the data backed up. I hope to eventually use this server to replace much of another simpler server I built which would include video and home automation. Its overkill but using used parts allowed me to do this inexpensively and I am intentionally playing with enterprise type gear. Is there any cross platform backup/syncronization recommendations you might have other than rsync?

Feb 4, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #10,672 of 10,930
I understand a lot of folks don't like windows but some of us have to use it for a living. Having said that the 2 smaller boxes are both linux based. I also have removeable drives with the data backed up. I hope to eventually use this server to replace much of another simpler server I built which would include video and home automation. Its overkill but using used parts allowed me to do this inexpensively and I am intentionally playing with enterprise type gear. Is there any cross platform backup/syncronization recommendations you might have other than rsync?

I'm sorry, it's one of the reasons I don't use Windows for servers. If you run some flavor of UNIX or Linux they all talk to each other and get along pretty well. If you don't you have to get out the crowbar and cutting torch. I did read there might be a few ports of rsync to one of the UNIX environments on Windows but I have no idea if they're good or maintained and don't know if they cost anything.

WinSCP can be used to some degree to sync remote file trees. If you set up ftp servers or SAMBA shares you might be able to pipe stuff back and forth around your LAN.

Feb 4, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #10,673 of 10,930
I'm sorry, it's one of the reasons I don't use Windows for servers. If you run some flavor of UNIX or Linux they all talk to each other and get along pretty well. If you don't you have to get out the crowbar and cutting torch. I did read there might be a few ports of rsync to one of the UNIX environments on Windows but I have no idea if they're good or maintained and don't know if they cost anything.

WinSCP can be used to some degree to sync remote file trees. If you set up ftp servers or SAMBA shares you might be able to pipe stuff back and forth around your LAN.
Thanks, dumb question but has there ever been a gui created for rsync to create and maintain the jobs?

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #10,675 of 10,930
Thanks, dumb question but has there ever been a gui created for rsync to create and maintain the jobs?

I don't know but I guess the answer would probably be yes if the Windows ports of rsync are maintained, and especially if they're sold.

I don't know to run jobs automagically under Windows but if you do that would be a way you could run backups on schedule. The actually rsync commands are not complicated, I can help with that part.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #10,676 of 10,930
I don't know but I guess the answer would probably be yes if the Windows ports of rsync are maintained, and especially if they're sold.

I don't know to run jobs automagically under Windows but if you do that would be a way you could run backups on schedule. The actually rsync commands are not complicated, I can help with that part.
Thanks I am experimenting with software right now. File name lengths were an issue and just in case anyone else finds this link, windows explorer under windows server 2016, will not copy long file names even though you can see them. Utilities like rsync will.

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #10,677 of 10,930
not that it's 1:1 with rsync, but if you're replicating directories with the odd complication here and there, isn't that what robocopy is for? make a couple folders with some trash data in them and mess with robocopy till it provides the desired results, then point it at the real directories.

once you have the robocopy job all set, drop the text of the command into a ps1 file and point the task scheduler at it.

caveat: I do nix and nix accessories, so windowsing is not my preferred modality.

rsync gui sounds like a useful thing until you realize ~99% of your rsync'ing is going to go something like
rsync -aq --exclude trashfolders /mnt/sourcefolder /mnt/destinationfolder
with a possible use for throwing -u (ignores files if the destination folder's copy is newer), and something like --delete which deletes files at the destination that don't exist at the source. Since it's not -too much- more involved than that for most uses, that just gets copypasta'd into some crontab and left for eternity.

Feb 15, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #10,678 of 10,930
I would use -rvt on windows boxes btw. The timestamps on Windows filesystems are totally whacked. I took a while to settle on the right options, if not, you copy everything every time.

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #10,679 of 10,930
IMG_20190509_164329.jpg

StarTech.com 12U Server Rack 4POSTRACK12U Black
2x StarTech.com 1U Adjustable Mounting Depth Vented Rack Mount Shelf
CyberPower OR1500LCDRM1U 1U Rackmount UPS System
NORCO 4U Rack Mount 24 x Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS 6G Drive Bays Server Rack mount RPC-4224
EVGA Supernova 850 G3, 80 Plus Gold 850W Modular Power Supply 220-G3-0850-X1
ASRock EP2C612 WS Motherboard
2x Intel Xeon E5-2690 v3 12-Core Haswell Processor 2.6GHz LGA-2011-3 CPU
2x Intel LGA 2011-3 Cooling Fan/Heatsink
8x Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2133 MT/s (PC4-2133) CL15 SR x4 ECC Registered DIMM CT8G4RFS4213 (64GB)
4x Samsung 970 EVO 1TB - NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V7E1T0BW)
4x QNINE M.2 NVME SSD to PCIe adapter
LSI Logic LSI00244 SAS 9201-16i 16-Port 6Gb/s SAS/SATA Controller Card
4x 10Gtek Internal Mini SAS SFF-8087 Cable, 0.5 Meter
1x NORCO Computer Parallel (reverse breakout) Cable (C-SFF8087-4S)
2x Gigabit network adapters bonding to a single interface
Unraid OS Pro 6.x
SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive (SDCZ33)
4x 1TB in RAID1 2TB Cache Pool
2x 8TB parity
15x 8TB array @120TB

Dockers running Plex Media Server, Tautulli, NetData, DiskSpeed, Krusader

Office audio station featuring Dell Inspiron 15 7570 ~> PS Audio LANRover ~> Audio-gd R-28 ~> JBL LSR-308. Also available is a small selection of headphones/IEMs featuring: ZMF Aeolus Bubinga LTD ~ Sennheiser HD 800 ~ Audeze LCD-XC ~ Audeze LCD-X ~ Focal Elegia ~ Fostex TH-X00 PH ~ Sennheiser HD 6XX
64 Audio U12t ~ Noble Kaiser 10 ~ 64 Audio U4-SE ~ Fearless Audio S6Rui

IMG_20190923_120430.jpg

IMG_20191009_184105.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #10,680 of 10,930
not that it's 1:1 with rsync, but if you're replicating directories with the odd complication here and there, isn't that what robocopy is for? make a couple folders with some trash data in them and mess with robocopy till it provides the desired results, then point it at the real directories.

once you have the robocopy job all set, drop the text of the command into a ps1 file and point the task scheduler at it.

caveat: I do nix and nix accessories, so windowsing is not my preferred modality.

rsync gui sounds like a useful thing until you realize ~99% of your rsync'ing is going to go something like
rsync -aq --exclude trashfolders /mnt/sourcefolder /mnt/destinationfolder
with a possible use for throwing -u (ignores files if the destination folder's copy is newer), and something like --delete which deletes files at the destination that don't exist at the source. Since it's not -too much- more involved than that for most uses, that just gets copypasta'd into some crontab and left for eternity.
robocopy didn't copy all the files. I did do that and used a utility to format the commands and automate scheduling. I did alter the commands but never got it to include all the files all the time so i gave up. Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back