Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Feb 24, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #10,532 of 10,933
I have the PC inside of an AV cabinet. That removes pretty much any last vestige of noise. It's only ever slightly above ambient noise when gaming.

Ambient noise is typically 45 dB for a room with central air, 40 dB for a very quiet urban room, and 30 dB for a very quiet rural room. That would put the computer's noise at no less than 30 dB.

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #10,533 of 10,933
Ambient noise is typically 45 dB for a room with central air, 40 dB for a very quiet urban room, and 30 dB for a very quiet rural room. That would put the computer's noise at no less than 30 dB.

For gaming yes its slightly above ambient, but for the third time it's actually below ambient while idle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 24, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #10,534 of 10,933
I've dealt with the whole noise issue with the purchase of a secondary rig that fits into one of the shelves of my desk. Not having much in the way of capital to use and tired of the drone of my regular rig (which it just wasn't practical to try to silence--it's already fairly quiet just not silent when you don't want any other sounds during concentrated listening) about a year ago I got one of those Beelink M1 mini-PC's w/a Celeron N3450 and 8Gb RAM Win10 Home. It is utterly silent w/no fans although I've added a very quiet AC Infinity Multi Fan SP-3 that sits underneath it and can be switched on when the CPU temps start getting up into the 60's. They claim noise of 18 dBA--and real world when you're sitting at the desk, as it's on a shelf sort of at the back, it's just a barely audible, unobtrusive whoosh).

The Beelink is certainly not as robust as my main Core i7 rig but, running Audirvana Plus for Win10 and employing lots of USB connections and a 4-port hub, it performs pretty well and the utter silence that it runs at makes up for any performance/speed issues, mostly when trying to open up too many apps. The 8Gb RAM really helps with a lower performance CPU but it runs Audivana, Tidal, Spotify just fine.

I've got the ability to connect a nano iDSD Black Label (main DAC), Meridian Explorer2, FiiO Q1Mk2 and Schiit Modi2U/Magni2U into its USB chain and it's surprising how versatile the set up is. All on the cheap for the most part. Although it isn't much to look at it's got lots of utility, pretty good sound and can be run either dead silent or near silent.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #10,536 of 10,933
All done after some finishing touches, everything is RGB but I think I actually prefer it off!

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190227141257888_COVER.jpg

Feb 27, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #10,537 of 10,933
All done after some finishing touches, everything is RGB but I think I actually prefer it off!

vn... im gettin jealous of the rtxs... wuts the true gaming bracket? Is that a cutout to show off an rgb power supply? i like phanteks too xD

Feb 27, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #10,538 of 10,933
vn... im gettin jealous of the rtxs... wuts the true gaming bracket? Is that a cutout to show off an rgb power supply? i like phanteks too xD

It is a support bracket to prevent GPU sag, it came w/ the MSI card. And yeah the Evolv X has a PSU cutout, it was a lovely case to build in, great cable management setup behind the scene.

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #10,539 of 10,933
It is a support bracket to prevent GPU sag, it came w/ the MSI card. And yeah the Evolv X has a PSU cutout, it was a lovely case to build in, great cable management setup behind the scene.

hah i had assumed as much, bout damn time Dx i like the cutout, used to have to use a dremel and wire led strips ourselves for nice showey little stuff and now its all built in xD

yes phanteks are wonderful, my enthoo primo is full to the brim and it's still easy to manage. hmm.. 6 hdds, 2 ssds, bdp, 280mm aio w/4 fans, 360 aio with 6 fans, 140 aio with 2 fans, 2 gtx780s with 90mm fans on the ram/mosfets(the nzxt water brackets), 2 front 140 fans. and all the easily detachable dust filters make it all so simple to clean regularly. I'm dreading the tear down when I upgrade cpu/gpu and move all the old stuff and hdds to a custom nas though

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #10,542 of 10,933
Totally!

I really don't understand why people want a lightshow going on next to their monitor. Its more distracting than a bit of fan noise.
We're on head-fi, so it is easy to explain why noise is inherently bad, but about the light show, imagine that they want more light and color in their life! :)

Mar 8, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #10,543 of 10,933
This isn't my official at-home listening rig but being a student soon, I am using this laptop for some of my audiophile quality listening.
20190301_124336.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back