Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Oct 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #9,316 of 10,933
  Thanks. I'll try to get an updated pic of it today. I now have another 24" monitor on the desk for FO flight instruments and an overhead keyboard for lights, fuel, etc...
The wires on the proto board you see on the left is hooked to an Arduino and hooked to the network. It runs my landing gear operation and soon will run quite a bit more functions.
I'm also tearing down the Saitek throttle to use the parts for a 737 throttle I'm building....
It is a lot of fun :)

Make a forum topic on this and randomly post pictures updating it. I'm not that big into flight sims but the setup you have and the updates you talk about are making me curious to see how its coming along.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #9,317 of 10,933

Make a forum topic on this and randomly post pictures updating it. I'm not that big into flight sims but the setup you have and the updates you talk about are making me curious to see how its coming along.

Will do Folex.
Actually I have a real crappy pic I took in the dark the other day, but you can see the monitors and the overhead keyboard :)

And the Arduino.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #9,319 of 10,933
No. Just love armchair flying the 737. I plan on building a full scale cockpit little by little. My wife keeps telling me the FBI is going to be knocking on my door lol :)

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #9,320 of 10,933
  No. Just love armchair flying the 737. I plan on building a full scale cockpit little by little. My wife keeps telling me the FBI is going to be knocking on my door lol :)

As long as you don't crash the plane into buildings or important places then you should be all set.   Can you set the flight sim up to real places ?

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #9,321 of 10,933
Oh yeah. All the real airports, flight paths, SIDs and STARs, and also real time real weather so landing in KSFO(San Francisco) in the fog at night is a real challenge. You have to fly IFR(instrument flight rules), but yeah, very realistic. Also you can use VATSIM for ATC and talk to real people for actual full fledged flights.

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #9,322 of 10,933
This is what I'm going for in my build:frowning2:Yes that is a simulator... in a guys house... No it's not real)

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #9,326 of 10,933
Addition to my setup posted here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/397869/pictures-of-your-computer-rigs-post-them-here/9225#post_10827292

It is amazing how bad I was with the paint brush since it has been more than ten years that I painted anything. Kept over loading the brush which resulted with runs and this *hammered* paint does not respond well to attempts to feathering the paint to correct. Ignoring my blunders, it is a beautiful finish. I got the idea from post 9228, note sealman's Triska sub under his desk. I opted for a sealed sub for I could buy the cabinet unfinished from parts expressed, but the Triska probably sounds better.

Thank you sealman!

Oct 13, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #9,327 of 10,933

I love the desk. Did you build it or was it a DIY'r?

DIY.  
2 Ikea Numerar Countertops 
2 Pairs of Capita Brackets
Height Adjustable Base

The base was by far the most expensive part.  If you use normal stationary Ikea Legs then the whole thing could easily be done for less than $250.

One of the countertops was ripped down to about 16" deep for the upper monitor bridge.  What's not shown in this picture is that the left over bit from the ripped countertop is now used as a shelf that sits above the desk just beneath those speaker mounts holding the read sparkers for my 7.1 theater setup.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #9,328 of 10,933

DIY.  
2 Ikea Numerar Countertops 
2 Pairs of Capita Brackets
Height Adjustable Base

The base was by far the most expensive part.  If you use normal stationary Ikea Legs then the whole thing could easily be done for less than $250.

One of the countertops was ripped down to about 16" deep for the upper monitor bridge.  What's not shown in this picture is that the left over bit from the ripped countertop is now used as a shelf that sits above the desk just beneath those speaker mounts holding the read sparkers for my 7.1 theater setup.

So I have a new bookmark category. "New Desk"
atsmile.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #9,329 of 10,933
  So I have a new bookmark category. "New Desk"
atsmile.gif

I'm really happy with how it turned out.  I had been looking at "proper" studio desks and they alls remed like  a lot of money and included tons of built in rack space that I didn't really need.  And being in front of my computer 8-10 hours a day the other thing I wanted was the option to stand and I have yet to see any Sit2Stand studio desks.   And I'm sure such a desk would cost in the >$2k if it did exist.  

The Capita Brackets put the monitor bridge at just the right height such that the iMac is at the perfect height so that I don't have to look up or down and the studio monitors are firing straight at my ears without having to be angled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back