Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Oct 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #9,873 of 10,933
I'm with you. I've never found a floor mat that worked for me. They crack, they yellow, they don't blend in, and they aren't comfortable to roll on(with the chair).

Also, nice set up, very clean.

I just hate the way they shift about over time. I'm always having to push mine back in place.

To be honest, I would keep it just to prevent damage to the floor due to spills.

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #9,874 of 10,933
  My "semi-portable" rig. Picture from yesterday night.

That's a pretty nice little set up. I've always wanted to try those Sony IEMs too. How do they sound with your GO? I've got a GO too and it'd give me a good idea what to expect.

Then, how about that AudioQuest JitterBug, how do you find that helps the GO? Again, compared to the standard GO :)

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #9,876 of 10,933
  That's a pretty nice little set up. I've always wanted to try those Sony IEMs too. How do they sound with your GO? I've got a GO too and it'd give me a good idea what to expect.

Then, how about that AudioQuest JitterBug, how do you find that helps the GO? Again, compared to the standard GO :)

Thanks! The XBA-A3's deserve my highest praise and recommendation. Personally, I think they are the best "fun" sounding IEM money can buy under $500. The soundstage is vast with very clear and accurate 3D image production. Details power through the thick and hefty bass. Especially on a decent DAC/AMP like the GO, the XBA-A3 is a joy to listen to.

I can't hear any audible differences with the JitterBug. I think the GO does a great job filtering noise already. So IMO, the Jitterbug is redundant with the GO. It may be more rewarding with other portable DAC/AMPs (such as the dragonfly as someone else mentioned).

i wanted to try the the jitterbug myself but from what i have seen (measurements) it only only really works well with dragonfly

Even then, the improvements should only be marginal if any.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #9,877 of 10,933

Thanks! The XBA-A3's deserve my highest praise and recommendation. Personally, I think they are the best "fun" sounding IEM money can buy under $500. The soundstage is vast with very clear and accurate 3D image production. Details power through the thick and hefty bass. Especially on a decent DAC/AMP like the GO, the XBA-A3 is a joy to listen to.

I can't hear any audible differences with the JitterBug. I think the GO does a great job filtering noise already. So IMO, the Jitterbug is redundant with the GO. It may be more rewarding with other portable DAC/AMPs (such as the dragonfly as someone else mentioned).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on them. I'll have to see if I come across a pair of XBA-A3s on my travels. Your feedback definitely hits all the right bells for me :)

As for the JitterBug, interesting news. The verdict is still out on that thing fir me, but AQ were geniuses in pricing it at what they did. Given the stupid expensive things us audio addicts spend money on, the AQ really seems like a throw away. If it works, awesome, if it doesn't it was "only" $50. But $50 x 100,000 units = $5M for AQ~~!

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #9,878 of 10,933
This is my set up. It is a budget set up but some of the prices were almost too cheap to believe.

These speakers are the Wharfedale 9.0s. They seem quite good considering they were £59 from my local Hi-fi store. They lack bass but I have got a very cheap solution to that. These are powered by a Pioneer A-209-R which is actually quite a lot better that they are. But it does probably get the most out of them. I paid about £140 for that amplifier.

I also got have got a subwoofer. The Pioneer S-SLW500. It isn't an active subwoofer and it requires a separate amplifier to power it.

My room is very small so I have got my Pioneer amplifier on another shelf. I use the remote for the volume pretty much all the time. I will try and make it clear how I have connected the subwoofer.

My Pioneer amplifier doesn't have a subwoofer output at all. I first tried using the headphone out going to a very cheap amplifier from Ebay that had a low pass filter in it and a subwoofer output. As expected, the volume was far to sensitive. I then added yet another amplifier (the FiiO E5) and I now use that to control the level of bass I want.
Now I have got the subwoofer at the volume I want it, I can use my Pioneer amplifier remote to control the volume for my speakers and soobwoofer together. Considering the soobwoofer is getting amplifier multiple times, it really doesn't sound that bad when playing with my speakers. It just adds that extra weight that my speakers don't have.

I will now say what the price of this subwoofer is. £4.99 new and unused. I just couldn't believe that. Yes, I don't think many people will think it is much good but it isn't bad at all for a budget set up.

Right at the bottom left of this image above is where I have the cheap amplifier and subwoofer located. This is another screenshot to show them:

This amplifier really is cheap and nasty but it does do the job of just letting the bass through it. I once tried using it with my Wharfedales and the sound quality was nowhere close to my Pioneer amplifier. I could also use the bass volume dial to control the volume of the bass if I wanted but I prefer to use the E5 as it is more accurate.

I bet many people on head-fi would think I could get much better sound but I think I would struggle to get any better for this price and I am also limited by the amount of space I have too. I am very pleased with it though. It just surprises me that that subwoofer can sell new and unused for that price. It feels very solid and well made too.

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #9,881 of 10,933
Thanks.  Yeap, everything is connected.  I hate looking at cables even though most of the ones I have are pretty...lol...

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #9,884 of 10,933

Even then, the improvements should only be marginal if any.

i noticed on another forum some guy that run the Jitterbug and regen through tests and the Jb actually made the sound worse!

more noise, more jitter... 
basshead.gif
 the regen actually faired much better and his listening opinion was the regen made a small improvement but nothing from the Jb. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #9,885 of 10,933
  i noticed on another forum some guy that run the Jitterbug and regen through tests and the Jb actually made the sound worse!

more noise, more jitter... 
basshead.gif
 the regen actually faired much better and his listening opinion was the regen made a small improvement but nothing from the Jb. 

Yea that's not a surprise, AQ has listed that some USB DACs are incompatible with the JB. My friend has an ODAC and the JB actually distorts the sound. Luckily it works fine with my GeekOut so I have no complaints.

Here is an excerpt from AudioQuest:

It has come to our attention that JitterBug is incompatible with certain legacy USB microcontrollers (the microcontroller is the device inside of your USB DAC that sends and receives data packets [and sometimes power] from the computer to your DAC). Primarily, the issue seems to be that some legacy USB microcontrollers fall outside of the electrical specification set forth by the USB Organization.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back