Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Aug 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #8,431 of 10,933
Looks good!  How do you like the keypad, and what types of games do you use it with?

I thought about getting one when EQ Next comes out, depending what kind of button mapping I need for it.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #8,432 of 10,933
Aug 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #8,434 of 10,933
Looks like a good start for a listening room.  Just planning on a stereo set up?

oh, you mean vs 5.1,etc. yes. video is upstairs and I've never really 'got' the surround thing. IMHO its totally separate from 2.0 or 2.1. I've yet to meet a 5.1/7.1 amp clean enough to satisfy my listening needs when critical listening. Totally different animals they are. My Schiit is the only thing stock since I plan to sell it once I get a kit or build which does better.

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #8,435 of 10,933
Quote:
IMO tenkeyless is the way to go for gaming, not sure how many times I've smacked my KB with the mouse.  Even tenkeyless can be a bit too big sometimes.  Numpad is good for productivity/workstation though.

Yeah, it's all personal preference.  I know people who say the LCD on G15 and G510 keyboards are stupid marketing gimmicks, but I think I'll miss mine.  It's nice for having GPU info from precision X on it, or checking CPU/RAM usage, and I most often use it for foobar2k.  Also used to use it for VOIP programs, while I do generally learn people's voices, it's nice initially when you first want to learn.  Plus ventrilo showed my ping on the screen so if I ever saw lag and was curious if it was server or something I could check.  Personally I do use the numpad a fair amount, and never smack my hand/mouse into my keyboard, though I also use what might be a higher sensitivity than most, or at least maybe higher than you(from the sounds of it).  Depending on how my first mech keyboard goes and how I like MX brown switches for regular typing, about the only way I think I'd get a tenkeyless(mx blue if I ended up hating browns for typing) would be wireless for sitting back and just chatting/surfing the web.  For me numpad is convenient, and so is having media keys, I've contemplated getting a ducky keyboard, but don't think I'd like using Fn+F keys to play/pause/skip.

Anyways since I feel I've derailed this thread enough with keyboard talk, here's my rig:

Corsair 600T
Intel C2D Wolfdale E8400 @3.4GHz
Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800
DFI Lanparty DK X38 T2R
EVGA GTX 460
Thermaltake 680w PSU(7 years old, have an upgrade picked out, just waiting for cash
frown.gif
)
WD Caviar 640GB Black edition 32MB cache(OS drive)
WD Caviar 1TB 5400RPM Green Drive(just for storage)
Some NEC CD/DVD burner drive(Also 7 years old and planned upgrade...)
Audio-GD NFB-15.32 > ATH-M50
Edit: (more keyboard talk :x )For anyone who cares, the K70 mx brown or blue is now on pre-order from corsair.

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #8,436 of 10,933
Yeah, it's all personal preference.  I know people who say the LCD on G15 and G510 keyboards are stupid marketing gimmicks, but I think I'll miss mine.  It's nice for having GPU info from precision X on it, or checking CPU/RAM usage, and I most often use it for foobar2k.  Also used to use it for VOIP programs, while I do generally learn people's voices, it's nice initially when you first want to learn.  Plus ventrilo showed my ping on the screen so if I ever saw lag and was curious if it was server or something I could check.  Personally I do use the numpad a fair amount, and never smack my hand/mouse into my keyboard, though I also use what might be a higher sensitivity than most, or at least maybe higher than you(from the sounds of it).  Depending on how my first mech keyboard goes and how I like MX brown switches for regular typing, about the only way I think I'd get a tenkeyless(mx blue if I ended up hating browns for typing) would be wireless for sitting back and just chatting/surfing the web.  For me numpad is convenient, and so is having media keys, I've contemplated getting a ducky keyboard, but don't think I'd like using Fn+F keys to play/pause/skip.

Anyways since I feel I've derailed this thread enough with keyboard talk, here's my rig:

Corsair 600T
Intel C2D Wolfdale E8400 @3.4GHz
Mushkin 4GB DDR2 800
DFI Lanparty DK X38 T2R
EVGA GTX 460
Thermaltake 680w PSU(7 years old, have an upgrade picked out, just waiting for cash :frowning2: )
WD Caviar 640GB Black edition 32MB cache(OS drive)

WD Caviar 1TB 5400RPM Green Drive(just for storage)
Some NEC CD/DVD burner drive(Also 7 years old and planned upgrade...)
Audio-GD NFB-15.32 > ATH-M50
Edit: (more keyboard talk :x )For anyone who cares, the K70 mx brown or blue is now on pre-order from corsair.
how do you like the audio Gd?

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #8,438 of 10,933
Quote:
oh, you mean vs 5.1,etc. yes. video is upstairs and I've never really 'got' the surround thing. IMHO its totally separate from 2.0 or 2.1. I've yet to meet a 5.1/7.1 amp clean enough to satisfy my listening needs when critical listening. Totally different animals they are. My Schiit is the only thing stock since I plan to sell it once I get a kit or build which does better.

I have to agree with you.  5.1 is great for watching video for immersion, but for music, stereo 2.0 usually sounds more natural.  

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #8,439 of 10,933
Quote:
Looks good!  How do you like the keypad, and what types of games do you use it with?

I thought about getting one when EQ Next comes out, depending what kind of button mapping I need for it.

I like it alot. I've been using it mostly for FPS games but I can see it being extremely useful in RTS or MMORPG games. The ergonomics are great. No longer get the wrist pain that I would sometimes get using my regular keyboard.

It has Cherry MX browns, so the keys feel nice as well.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #8,442 of 10,933
Quote:
how do you like the audio Gd?

Quote:

Same here... does it sound 2d or 3d...

I wouldn't really say it sounds 3d or 2d, just that certain songs sound so much more clear than before.  For me it wasn't a night and day difference(or at least not right away), and I think part of that was because the M50's don't gain much from amping, but at the same time I still feel it was worth it(and that there were still audible gains from it).  Some songs don't gain much if any compared to others, but I feel it brought out some of the deeper tones(doesn't sound dark to me though), and overall gave these phones more accuracy.  There are some songs where I hear things I never heard before, and that might have just been WASAPI since I play games sometimes while listening to music, but still felt that way when just plain listening without  gaming.

The one downfall I saw in it was the price to send it back for repair, and after I tried using USPS I've learned my lesson.  USPS will kick your package around like it's a hacky sack, but sending through anyone else costs $100+ and I was low on cash.  Even though I waited 5-6 months for it to get back, and it never made it there...it did work when I got it back, but I had reformatted/reinstalled windows since then so I guess that was OS side issue(and I did a fair amount of troubleshooting).  But that doesn't have to do with how it sounds so I'll stop there.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #8,443 of 10,933
Quote:
51494693-e4c2-4066-9944-dd547c861eea.jpg

I've got those high brow speaker stands.  I'm quite adept at using the mini keyboard now.  I can easily stow it away and reclaim the desk with ample space to use as a normal desk.

Nice setup with the JBL Control One Plus bookshelf speakers. I have the original JBL Control One's from back in the day. Great for a positive frame of mind when it comes to thin walls and neighbors.

Excellent speaker stands. I have the New Webster Collegiate edition in volatile red and harmony blue :D

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #8,445 of 10,933

Meh, too much audio gears for one desk. I don't think I can fit anything more except maybe one more banana hanger and one more pair of phones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back