Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Mar 1, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #7,981 of 10,933
Quote:
It could be argued that low profile scissor switches are actually better for gaming than a mechanical keyboard.

With both the scissor switches, and mechanical switches, travel to actuation is about 2mm, but with the mechanical keyboard, you have a further 2mm of travel to bottom out the keys. (and you do bottom out when gaming)

When you release the keys, there is effectively no travel on the scissor keyboard before the switch is reset, but with the mechanical keyboard there is 2mm of travel upwards before the switch is reset. And if you are using a light switch, or MX Blues, it's possible to lift your fingers, but not enough so that you are still pressing that key, even though you are not bottoming out. I found this to be especially problematic with the MX Blues, because their reset point is separate from their activation point:

8846736e_785448034edwdpga.jpeg

Maybe you do, but I don't bottom out much when gaming. I prefer mech switches because I know exactly when the key is pressed and released, as opposed to being able to feel the bump in the key but still not press hard enough for it to register like on membrane/scissor switches that only activate when the key is pressed down all the way.

I guess if you use a lot of force normally, a capacitive based keyboard might be better for you, but I generally type pretty light and quick, so my MX blue keyboard works great for gaming.

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #7,982 of 10,933
Quote:
It could be argued that low profile scissor switches are actually better for gaming than a mechanical keyboard.

With both the scissor switches, and mechanical switches, travel to actuation is about 2mm, but with the mechanical keyboard, you have a further 2mm of travel to bottom out the keys. (and you do bottom out when gaming)

When you release the keys, there is effectively no travel on the scissor keyboard before the switch is reset, but with the mechanical keyboard there is 2mm of travel upwards before the switch is reset. And if you are using a light switch, or MX Blues, it's possible to lift your fingers, but not enough so that you are still pressing that key, even though you are not bottoming out. I found this to be especially problematic with the MX Blues, because their reset point is separate from their activation point:

Mechanical boards feel better in general. I'm just saying why spend 4k on a rig but cheap out on the thing you are almost always in physical contact with - your keyboard. That's equivalent to buying high-end DAC and amp for non-audiophile quality headphones.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #7,984 of 10,933
Quote:

Mechanical boards feel better in general. I'm just saying why spend 4k on a rig but cheap out on the thing you are almost always in physical contact with - your keyboard. That's equivalent to buying high-end DAC and amp for non-audiophile quality headphones.

This.

What you interact with to use your computer is a huge part in experience. Typing has been ridiculously pleasant after buying my mechanical keyboard a few years ago. This thing is built like a brick too (typing on a Filco).

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #7,986 of 10,933
Quote:
Keyboard, mouse and screen are all too often overlooked in builds.

Don't even get me started on guys who throw down 1k of GPUs then end up with a pair of garbage TN panels. But yeah, you get the point. Peripherals are VERY important.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #7,987 of 10,933
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. The physical interface is probably more important than whether you get the i5 or i7 processor.  I got a QPAD mk-50 mx brown keyboard, unfortunately it had the german key layout so I have to return it :frowning2: Darn those german descriptions of those international german ebay sellers...

But going back to my rubber dome keyboard is awful. Not just because it feels squishy, but even the shape of the keys, the weight of the keyboard. It's all very important.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #7,988 of 10,933
Quote:

Don't even get me started on guys who throw down 1k of GPUs then end up with a pair of garbage TN panels. But yeah, you get the point. Peripherals are VERY important.

But refresh rates!  No matter how terrible the color reproduction or viewing angles end up being!

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #7,989 of 10,933
Quote:
Keyboard, mouse and screen are all too often overlooked in builds.

Agreed. Using this mechanical keyboard has made using the computer so much more of a joy. My monitors right now are terrible though.
Quote:

This.
Quote:

But refresh rates!  No matter how terrible the color reproduction or viewing angles end up being!

Go find an overclockable Yamakasi Catleap. Better yet, go with VA instead. Plus, 60Hz is more than enough for most of us. There are also people like photo editors and such who need those accurate colors and viewing angles instead of higher refresh rates.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #7,990 of 10,933
Quote:
Go find an overclockable Yamakasi Catleap. Better yet, go with VA instead. Plus, 60Hz is more than enough for most of us. There are also people like photo editors and such who need those accurate colors and viewing angles instead of higher refresh rates.

I forgot to use my sarcasm font.  My two monitors are a Dell 2408wfp (MVA) and a HP ZR24W (IPS) so I'm definitely on the side of better color reproduction for monitors.  

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #7,995 of 10,933
Are low quality photo's even allowed here? 
eek.gif
  I just added these Blue Sky eXo2 monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back