Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Jan 31, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #7,876 of 10,933
Quote:
Very full sounding speakers with tight, controlled, well extended bass. Sweet midrange and highs. These crave power so feed them well and you'll be rewarded. The new focus series is a real step up from the older focus however If you're budget is 1.5 you'll probably be looking at the next step down which from what I've heard, still isn't a bad choice. Renowned for great value for the price.

That new Focus 160 looks gorgeous. Looks like the reviews have been stellar so far. Need to find a place to audition. Thanks for the mini review. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #7,877 of 10,933
Are you specifically looking for passive speakers? The Emotiva Stealth 8 is $1400 for a pair and if I didn't have Harbeths on the way I'd own a pair myself.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #7,878 of 10,933
Quote:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20210907/#/20210907

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20049538/#/00054564

You guys think this would work to elevate my speakers, monitor, and laptop? I want to stick a Schiit Mjolnir + Gungnir underneath it, and also an Asus Xonar E1. So I was looking at the 6" tall legs, but I don't know if that would be too tall, and make it look ugly. =/

What're your guys' opinions?

Those legs don't look very balanced my friend, I wouldn't put my studio monitors anywhere near those.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #7,881 of 10,933
Are you specifically looking for passive speakers? The Emotiva Stealth 8 is $1400 for a pair and if I didn't have Harbeths on the way I'd own a pair myself.

Yes, passive speakers. Still debating between bookshelf and floor standing speakers but I don't want to go powered. Ill take a look at the stealths but from the looks of it (aesthetics matter in this case), it doesn't look nearly as class as the focus 160's nor the kef r series.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #7,882 of 10,933
Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiml3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, passive speakers. Still debating between bookshelf and floor standing speakers but I don't want to go powered. Ill take a look at the stealths but from the looks of it (aesthetics matter in this case), it doesn't look nearly as class as the focus 160's nor the kef r series.

First, if you can get floorstanders , I mean REAL floor standers, get them, unless you intend to use them as PC Speakers on either side of your screen.

Two, active/passive is less of an issue than you may believe. My by now nearly 20 Years old (and once refurbished) passive speakers driven by nice tube amps have even seen off big active 3-Way ATC's (never mind most active toys) and have done so with ease.

BUT, do not buy a toy speaker stretched into floor stander.

They are usually worse worse than the stand-mount (I think in septic tank land they call 'em "bookshelf") versions.

Cheerio Rich

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #7,883 of 10,933
Quote:
2regrko.jpg

Nice mouse I have the same one and of course nice speakers.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #7,884 of 10,933
If you're looking into the R series I think they're some of the sexiest speakers on the market right now. The woofer is sooooo great. 

If you could stretch to 2k though I'd probably go with the baby Harbeths. They won't give the extension some may need though, unfortunately. 

I think the Airmotiv series is one of the best speakers for the money right now, but they're aren't winning any beauty contests anytime soon. 

Quote:

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #7,885 of 10,933
If you are looking for speakers, hunt audiogon like a madman.

A wide range of speakers can be found for very low prices, some even as low as 30% msrp. I find Audiogon sellers give me better prices than the dealers in my area 90% of the time.

For example, I have been eyeing this for awhile http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-martin-logan-clx-2013-01-27-speakers-453-42.

The number of scammers are exponentially higher as well~ be warned :D (Now that I think of it. The seller of these Martin Logans might be one too :xf_eek:).

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #7,886 of 10,933
Quote:
Hi,

First, if you can get floorstanders , I mean REAL floor standers, get them, unless you intend to use them as PC Speakers on either side of your screen.

Two, active/passive is less of an issue than you may believe. My by now nearly 20 Years old (and once refurbished) passive speakers driven by nice tube amps have even seen off big active 3-Way ATC's (never mind most active toys) and have done so with ease.

BUT, do not buy a toy speaker stretched into floor stander.

They are usually worse worse than the stand-mount (I think in septic tank land they call 'em "bookshelf") versions.

Cheerio Rich

That's what i'm currently debating myself with right now. Do I put them besides my monitors or put floorstanding speakers in the living room? Bah! 

If you're looking into the R series I think they're some of the sexiest speakers on the market right now. The woofer is sooooo great. 

If you could stretch to 2k though I'd probably go with the baby Harbeths. They won't give the extension some may need though, unfortunately. 

I think the Airmotiv series is one of the best speakers for the money right now, but they're aren't winning any beauty contests anytime soon. 

Any advantages of the Harbeth over the R300's? 

If you are looking for speakers, hunt audiogon like a madman.

A wide range of speakers can be found for very low prices, some even as low as 30% msrp. I find Audiogon sellers give me better prices than the dealers in my area 90% of the time.

For example, I have been eyeing this for awhile http://app.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-martin-logan-clx-2013-01-27-speakers-453-42.

The number of scammers are exponentially higher as well~ be warned 
biggrin.gif
 (Now that I think of it. The seller of these Martin Logans might be one too 
redface.gif
).

I bought some Onix ref 1's off of Audiogon like 4 years ago. Those speakers are now at the cabin but man oh man do they kick some serious ass. I browse audiogon everyday but no one is putting the new Kef R series on there yet. Too early I suppose. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #7,889 of 10,933
Quote:
Nice mouse I have the same one and of course nice speakers.

As do I. I've had the mx518 for over 5 years. Of course not the same one, I believe I'm on my 12th. Great mouse and possibly the only mouse I'll ever use granted I find a new one every time I need it.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #7,890 of 10,933
MX518 master race checking in here as well. Though I'm not sure how the heck you break your mice. Mine seems indestructible. I've had it for around 5 years with no issues.

Quote:
As do I. I've had the mx518 for over 5 years. Of course not the same one, I believe I'm on my 12th. Great mouse and possibly the only mouse I'll ever use granted I find a new one every time I need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back