Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Aug 20, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #5,116 of 10,937

Not necessarily. Physical size of a screen isn't nearly as important as resolution in terms of clarity and the amount of information it can usefully display.

Exactly. But that's not all either.
I have a cheap 1080p 23" monitor, but it is incomparable in terms of clarity to my 22" touchscreen at the same resolution.
My touchscreen is simply far more vibrant and looks a lot more natural (nothing to do with it being a touchscreen though).

On another note, I have seen 1080p tv's of >35", and up close (1-2m away) they look very blurry and ugly. Actually being small is a good thing given that the resolution is constant. It's mostly about pixel density.

Aug 20, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #5,117 of 10,937

Quote:
On another note, I have seen 1080p tv's of >35", and up close (1-2m away) they look very blurry and ugly. Actually being small is a good thing given that the resolution is constant. It's mostly about pixel density.

Funny you should mention PPI. I actually have a 17" 1280 x 1024 that has a higher density then a modern 24" 1920 x 1080 monitor. Can't compare in terms of response time though 
triportsad.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #5,118 of 10,937

Quote:
Well, I guess we should all say welcome then. I love how after you perfect one hobby, you kind of move on to the next one. I do the same thing. I have the TV and gaming system. I have a nice camera, and now like you, I am on to audio. I have been into audio in the past, but I am in a resurgence I guess you could say. Though I can easily say I am more educated about the topic now then ever due to this forum.

On you your computer setup. I have always wanted a bunch of monitors, but the most I have ever had was too. I have a thing about symmetry, which is the problem. I have a 21in imac, and they don't make mac monitors that size. and if other companies do, they would not match in style.Don't ask me what I would need them all for, I will figure that out after I have them.

Thanks for the welcome, and yeah that's pretty much how it works. You get one thing perfect, then you look at the details and work outward until they're all perfect too. Honestly I'd still like to replace the monitor my game consoles are on, it has a plethora of inputs, but a high response time, so I occasionally get vsync tearing when playing games. It isn't terrible, but it's noticeable. Symmetry was a big deal for me too. The main 3 monitors are Acer H233H that I sold off my entire collection of monitors to buy 3 identical screens. The other 2 are Dell 24" I came into and that's why they don't match.

As far as Macs go, your best bet would be find a Mac Pro for a good price and add an off the shelf HD6870 to get multiple monitor support. Or you could check out www.insanelymac.com and find an OSx86 build that would do what you want much cheaper. I did my OS X Desktop certification a couple of years ago and have built dozens of hackintosh machines. Lion and Snow Leopard 10.6.8 added support for a wider range of video hardware, and a PC HD6870 will fire right up in an Intel Mac Pro.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #5,120 of 10,937

Quote:
I actually prefer 21.5" screens for this reason.. Smallest screens (widely available) that do 1080p.

Indeed. Though, saying that, I have a 27" screen. Though, it's 2560x1440.

@Tilpo: Oh, definitely. Whether it's back-lit or edge-lit, basic LCD or LED, whether or not it's an IPS panel display... Lots of little things make a difference.

I've started seeing backlit LED IPS displays on Newegg for around $300 lately. Blows my mind as not too long ago if you wanted that you were looking north of $1,000.

Aug 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #5,121 of 10,937
I am new here, so...
Here is my office:

The audio system now has to come out of the Seacan, blow out the dust and cobwebs and put in place.
for now the Grado325's are sourced by the iMac 27" i7, or the Technics 1200, transfigured by the Artcessories USB Phono Plus.
I am trying to figure out which headphone amp I wish to get. Probably the little dot mkV first. later we will see.

For now simple is divine. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #5,122 of 10,937

Quote:
I am new here, so...
Here is my office:

The audio system now has to come out of the Seacan, blow out the dust and cobwebs and put in place.
for now the Grado325's are sourced by the iMac 27" i7, or the Technics 1200, transfigured by the Artcessories USB Phono Plus.
I am trying to figure out which headphone amp I wish to get. Probably the little dot mkV first. later we will see.

For now simple is divine. 

Looks Comfy! :)

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #5,123 of 10,937
Yes it is Comfy!
I spend hours every day here, and if I get bored with the comfy chair I switch with the wooden one you can see a bit of on the left. the iMac is on a wall monitor pivot that will swing and extend from the wall.  The other benefit is that then I get to look out the window, (but only when I have been a good boy and done all my work) ;')

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #5,125 of 10,937

Quote:
here's mine :)

I think that you must like Black as a decorating choice.
I almost thought that you had a steering wheel there, but it turns out that it is two pair of cans. What sort are they?
and is that can holder bolted through the desk?

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #5,126 of 10,937
@ Maxtcc: haha yeah I like black as you can see.. :) them cans are the Sennheiser pc-350 and hd 650 and that headphone stand is not bolted on the table it's the stand from woo audio (http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wahps2.html).

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #5,127 of 10,937

I'm looking to pick up a new desk in the near future.

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #5,130 of 10,937
maybe hes not American?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back