Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Aug 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #5,026 of 10,933
I'd post a picture of my rig but it's nothing like what I had last year.  Saving up for a new laptop and DAC currently.

@log0 
I had no clue that the PSX was so good at audio playback.  I have six of them (bought home from high school co-op placement when cleaning out THEIR storage room) sitting in my storage room collecting dust.  Looks like it's time for me to blow out the dust, buy the power and A/V cables and hook one of them up as a dedicated CD player.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #5,028 of 10,933

Quote:
I'd post a picture of my rig but it's nothing like what I had last year.  Saving up for a new laptop and DAC currently.

@log0 
I had no clue that the PSX was so good at audio playback.  I have six of them (bought home from high school co-op placement when cleaning out THEIR storage room) sitting in my storage room collecting dust.  Looks like it's time for me to blow out the dust, buy the power and A/V cables and hook one of them up as a dedicated CD player.

Remember that only the first models count (SCPH 100x), the ones that have the composite plugs on the back.

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #5,029 of 10,933
Which one is that?

Quote:
Promise Pegasus, I think you  mean. It's a RAID array, not a NAS. More, it doesn't ship sans-drives. If you wanted to reuse your own drives then I'd say go Drobo, though I'm not sure I'd actually recommend a Drobo to anyone who's tech-literate.

Besides, the real benefit of Thunderbolt is for high-throughput data transfers, such as editing raw 4K video. For anything else FW800 will work just fine. In that situation, just grab a multi-bay FW800 enclosure and drop some 2 TB Samsung or WD drives in (as meets your preference, I actually recommend mixing brands). Macsales.com has a pretty good aluminum 4-bay RAID enclosure that will doe RAID5. If you fill it with 2 TB HDDs you'll end with 6 TB of usable storage, which should be enough for most people.

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #5,031 of 10,933

Quote:
Which one is that?

With drives: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/RAID/Desktop/
Just Enclosure: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEQX2KIT0GB/

Does NSPAN, RAID0, RAID1, RAID5 and RAID10 (1+0). I only wish it did JBOD as that would make it a great option for ZFS setups. Tom's Hardware did a review and found the speed on this rig was comparable to any other RAID5 they'd tested and since it's all-aluminum it does well on heat.

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #5,032 of 10,933

Quote:
Remember that only the first models count (SCPH 100x), the ones that have the composite plugs on the back.

Yup, that's right. The one with the RCA plugs on the back is the one to get. There is also another model that has the same DAC chip as the SCPH-1001, it is the SCPH-5501. This one will not have the RCA plugs in the back but is a good candidate for a mod that can add RCAs. I would just buy the SCPH-1001 though, works great as a stock CD player without any mods.

Aug 15, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #5,034 of 10,933

Quote:

Nice peaceful setup. Very invigorating to the spirit
smile.gif

Dont have a camera so no pc pics from me at least not for awhile if..ever....

Aug 15, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #5,037 of 10,933

Quote:
Hellbishop said:
Nice peaceful setup. Very invigorating to the spirit
smile.gif

Thanks.  It's a great source of a lot of my creativity.

Quote:
SouthernBoy

How do those C100's sound?

They sound great.  I was going to purchase a set of BX5a's, but I found the C100s to be perfect as near field monitors.

Quote:
HesterDW said:
What kind of light is that purple one? Love the mood.

Enjoy: http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Color-E27-Light-Bulb-Remote/dp/B001JHZSEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313458134&sr=8-1

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #5,038 of 10,933

Quote:

Quote:
Yup, that's right. The one with the RCA plugs on the back is the one to get. There is also another model that has the same DAC chip as the SCPH-1001, it is the SCPH-5501. This one will not have the RCA plugs in the back but is a good candidate for a mod that can add RCAs. I would just buy the SCPH-1001 though, works great as a stock CD player without any mods.

That is the exact model I have. Every single one I have is a SCPH-1001. I had good audiophile quality equipment laying around and never knew. (mind-blown) 

Thank you both WarroirSI and log0 for the your input and additional information.

How do you have your SCPH-1001 hooked up log0?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back