Pictures of your computer rigs! Post them here!
Apr 3, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #3,692 of 10,933
Unlikely, the HP ZR24W is the cheapest 24" 16:10 IPS you can get. Dell do a 16:9 23" IPS that's supposedly quite good though. TN panels are pretty much the default for any consumer related monitor these days, and if you want IPS you have to start going pro-sumer or professional, which obviously costs money.

The Fractal XL's cooling is a bit iffy, but then it depends on what components you're sticking in it. By not open you mean quiet? 

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #3,693 of 10,933
Apr 4, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #3,698 of 10,933
I wonder if I would be better served just getting 3 consumer grade 20" monitors or just a second 23" one. I guess IPS is out of the question since I don't like to part with money unless it has to do with audio. 

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #3,699 of 10,933
That depends highly on having experience with it already or not. I'm sure I won't look back and settle for less. Also the larger your LCD screen estate, whether you have multi or single monitor setup, the more you will notice color ship with TN panel. IMO if you buy LCD larger than 20" you should go IPS or PVA.

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #3,700 of 10,933
One thing to consider with IPS though, is that nearly all the screens use an anti-glare coating, which may or may not be to your liking. The Apple displays are one of the only IPS lines with glossy screens (colours 'pop' a bit more) I can think of, although what you gain in colour, you lose in reflections if you have a light source hitting the screen. This is part of the reason I got a Mac Mini and the HP, rather than the 21.5" iMac, since the layout of my room means where I have to have the computer isn't ideal for light, and also it worked out cheaper and is a bigger display.

I think there's a Viewsonic VA panel that's in your price bracket, with it's main drawbacks being handling very fast motion, particularly in FPS, and quality control being a little hit and miss in terms of backlight bleed e.t.c. (although you could return it). 2nd hand will also get you some bargins, although obviously you don't get any kind of warranty.

As for cases, there's quite a few with dust filters these days. Do you need the size of the XL over the regular R3? I seem to remember the latter getting more favourable reviews.

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #3,701 of 10,933
AFAIK only Apple like to use glossy coating on IPS panel which is very annoying if you have light source directs at the screen. I prefer anti-glare finish which I think most of the IPS screens use.

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #3,705 of 10,933
I'm quite happy with it. Two things to bare in mind though. It appears they're getting harder and harder to find (perhaps they're being discontinued/replaced), and if you do get one, it's very worthwhile calibrating it properly, as out the box the contrast is poor. You can fix this by turning the brightness practically down to 0 (it's still bright!) and the contrast up to 100, but that can throw the colours off slightly, which is where proper calibration comes in. 16:10 is also highly preferable - at least to me - for general use, the extra vertical space does make a difference. It does take up a bit of desk space, but in my case I intend on using the VESA mount and getting an Ergotron LX arm, which means I will retain all my desk space.

I'd only replace it in future for a 27-30" 2K res screen, but that's a few years down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back