[Pictorial] Mook Headphone Festival @ Singapore
Aug 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
Day 1

D1-01.jpg

This event is pretty much the first of its kind in the whole South East Asia. Generally speaking, we tend to see individual headphone booth in AV / electronics / computer show rather than being the main focus, and most of them they are limited to big brand names and 'consumer' (*price) friendly models. A big thanks to Uncle Wilson for the press invitation so I can get in early before all the booths were setup. I was there 9 a.m. and the event officially started at 11 p.m.

D1-02.jpg

Suntec Convention Center is huge. The Head-Fest only took a small corner of the whole building. There were actually several different events going on at the same moment.

D1-03.jpg

Turtle Beach, SOL Republic, V-moda, Beat-by-Dr.dre, Pioneer, Bose.

D1-04.jpg

Boomphones, Shure, TDK, Phillips, Monster.

D1-05.jpg

Denon, UE, Fostex, Klipsch, Sony.

D1-06.jpg

Parrot, Sennheiser, Stax, Missed the Grado booth next to Stax in the picture (see below). Also, SMS by 50, and Westone.

D1-07.jpg

PSB and NAD. NAD actually releases a new headphone on the show.

D1-08.jpg

iriver, MASS-Kobo, Elekit, Kojo Technology and VentureCraft

D1-09.jpg

Phonon, Xduoo and Abyss

D1-10.jpg

RudiStor, CEntrance, and FitEar.

D1-11.jpg

JH Audio, Final Audio Design, GoVibe, beyerdynamic.

D1-12.jpg

Hippo, ACS, Vision Ears (orignally from Compact Monitor), Graham Slee, Fischer Audio, ColorFly,  Alessandro, plus a few mores.

D1-13.jpg

D1-14.jpg

D1-15.jpg

D1-16.jpg

Go-Vibe and Hippo's amps

D1-17.jpg

Still mostly Go-Vibe and Hippo amps. The three boxes on the right are Vision Ears Stage 2, 3 and 4.

D1-18.jpg

Jade-to-go in the mid. Bravo Audio on the right. Some Fischer Audio IEM on the left.

D1-19.jpg

Yamamoto Sound Craft HA-02 and Greham Slee

D1-20.jpg

D1-21.jpg

D1-22.jpg

The FAD's boss himself, Mr. Takai, bought a prototype to the show.

D1-23.jpg

This is the new prototype tuned specifically for AK120. I gave it a listen and I am quite impressed, though it is slightly too smooth for my taste.

D1-24.jpg

D1-25.jpg

The Xduoo line-up

D1-26.jpg

Rudi arrived quite early in the morning.

D1-27.jpg

D1-28.jpg

D1-29.jpg

DACmini and M8

D1-30.jpg

Analog Squared Paper's TU-05

D1-31.jpg

D1-32.jpg

D1-33.jpg

D1-34.jpg

It hisses slightly with IEM, but otherwise great sounding.

D1-35.jpg

D1-36.jpg

Kojo Technology KM01-BRASS. The casing is CNC'ed from a block of brass and it does weight like a ton. Sound quite good as well though I will never want to carry it around.

D1-37.jpg

VentureCraft Go-DAP TT and SounDroid

D1-38.jpg

Elekit TU-8100

D1-39.jpg

Elekit 22 hybrid tube. We were able to feed an iPhone + CEntrance's HiFi-M8 to it and it drove the MasterClass 2504 speaker very well.

D1-40.jpg

The new TU-HP01 hybrid tube portable amp from Elekit. I have one and will review it later.

D1-41.jpg

D1-42.jpg

MASS-kobo, a company I am not too familiar with

D1-43.jpg

Got a listen to MASS-Kobo's portable amp. A bit hissy as the gain seems to be too high for IEM, but the craftsmanship is out of the world.

D1-44.jpg

D1-45.jpg

iriver's AK100 and AK120 are both a big hit on the event.

D1-46.jpg

This is one of the only two docks in existence. According to the iriver's guy, the other one is kept in studio.

D1-47.jpg

D1-48.jpg

Got to listen to UE900. Surprisingly I find it more in line with W4's sound signature. One of the UE guys actually agrees with me about the sound signature

D1-49.jpg

D1-50.jpg

Listened to the ADV. Quite like it but thought it will have a tough competition with other IEM of the same / lower price range.

D1-51.jpg

D1-52.jpg

NAD

D1-53.jpg

PSB

D1-54.jpg

Pioneer

D1-55.jpg

D1-56.jpg

D1-57.jpg

D1-58.jpg

Phillips

D1-59.jpg

D1-60.jpg

D1-61.jpg

D1-62.jpg

D1-63.jpg

D1-64.jpg

D1-65.jpg

D1-66.jpg

SR-009 sounds absolutely beautiful.

D1-67.jpg

Fostex

D1-68.jpg

D1-69.jpg

D1-70.jpg

Err... I just don't like its sound. Almost like I am listening to a pair of out-of-phase IEM.

D1-71.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Suyama from FitEar.

D1-72.jpg

A new prototype, still unnamed.

D1-73.jpg

MH335, 334, and Parterre

D1-74.jpg

Someone has his case signed by Mr. Suyama.

D1-75.jpg

D1-76.jpg

No officially part of the Head-Fest, but a few of us just put out our source and had a photo shot.

D1-77.jpg

Jerry and Corbyn. They arrived 2 a.m. in the morning and didn't get much sleep.

D1-78.jpg

The carbon fiber prototype from JHA. Not just the cse but the whole earpeice is incase in carbon fiber.

Day 2

D2-01.jpg

Started the day at the a mini meet @ E1 Personal Audio's store at 2 p.m. with the local forumer and HF'er

D2-02.jpg

Surprisingly some of these guys really like the more vintage stuff.

D2-03.jpg

Listened to AK120 on the first day and again at the mini meet. I think AK120's owner and I both agree that this is quite an impressive DAP and far better than AK100, but it is not on the  HM901's level yet if SQ is the only concern.

D2-04.jpg

D2-05.jpg

D2-06.jpg

D2-07.jpg

Most of us went to the Head-Fest afterwards.

D2-08.jpg

It was a Saturday so there were more people there, and noisier as well.

D2-09.jpg

D2-10.jpg

Sony seems to have more stuff in the 2nd days, or maybe I just missed them on the first day.

D2-11.jpg

D2-12.jpg

iriver booth was still a hit...

D2-13.jpg

... so was FitEar...

D2-14.jpg

...and JHA. You really needed to wait in Q to demo them.

D2-15.jpg

Mr. Takai left after the first day with his prototype, but other models were still around for demo.

D2-16.jpg

A lot of bundle deals...

D2-17.jpg

Tried Stage 3 and Stage 4, both are excellent.

Day 3

D3-01.jpg

Sunday. Less people than Saturday and quieter as well, much better for auditioning actually.

D3-02.jpg

A lot of Jaben's bears today.

D3-03.jpg

D3-04.jpg

Overall the Head-Fest is quite successful, especially consider this is the first times such an event is hosted in S.E.Asia. Jerry is pretty much the rock star of the show, getting constant request of demo, Q&A and autograph. FitEar has a lot of demo request as well. AK120 is pretty much everywhere.

SR-009 is the first highlight of the show for me, sounding almost perfect in everyway. I am very impressed by the freq-phase JH13 as well, which is very different from my memory of the old JH13. Last but not least - I demo'ed the FitEar's MH335 demo unit with my HM901 (standard amp module) on the first day. I played 'Money' from Head-Fi's Open Your Ears (HDTracks) and got a goosebump almost instantly. I gave SenG a listen and he dropped his jaw (his words, not mine) as well. Mrs. Suyama was in the booth so we recommended her to try the combo too. She listened with the demo unit first, switched to her own custom and pretty much lost her tongue. Mr. Suyama came back to the booth a few minutes later and tried the HM901 on his custom as well. Needless to say he was very impressed too. I think we all agree that HM901 and MH335 are pretty much a match made in heaven.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 41
Quote:
Overall the Head-Fest is quite successful, especially consider this is the first times such an event is hosted in S.E.Asia. Jerry is pretty much the rock star of the show, getting constant request of demo, Q&A and autograph. FitEar has a lot of demo request as well. AK120 is pretty much everywhere.

SR-009 is the first highlight of the show for me, sounding almost perfect in everyway. I am very impressed by the freq-phase JH13 as well, which is very different from my memory of the old JH13. Last but not least - I demo'ed the FitEar's MH335 demo unit with my HM901 (standard amp module) on the first day. I played 'Money' from Head-Fi's Open Your Ears (HDTracks) and got a goosebump almost instantly. I gave SenG a listen and he dropped his jaw (his words, not mine) as well. Mrs. Suyama was in the booth so we recommended her to try the combo too. She listened with the demo unit first, switched to her own custom and pretty much lost her tongue. Mr. Suyama came back to the booth a few minutes later and tried the HM901 on his custom as well. Needless to say he was very impressed too. I think we all agree that HM901 and MH335 are pretty much a match made in heaven.

Hey ClieOS, thanks for your coverage of the Mook Headphone Festival, it was a pleasure to meet you. I had the opportunity to learn so much from you and I look forward to meeting you at future events or meets.

Mr Jerry Harvey's and Mr Suyama's hospitality and service was top-notch and they had a lot to share on their existing offerings and future ideas, which explains why their booths were constantly packed with visitors.

It was truly a jaw-dropping experience to try the MH335DW demo with your HM-901. However, I shall refrain from writing my impression as I wouldn't be able to describe the feeling I felt from the combo, though I would say that it brought new meaning to the word `bass' for me. If only I had the chance to try it with the Balance amp module
L3000.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 41
Nice work ClieOS. Just a minor correction. I'm pretty sure the Analog Squared Paper with the 4x 1T4 or 1U4 tubes is actually TU-05b. Don't think there's a TU-08 yet?

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #6 of 41

Hi ClieOS, I would like to thank you for sharing with us the event coverage for the Mook Headphones Festival held over the weekend here in Singapore with such fantastic photos and your mini write-up. It was absolutely my pleasure to be able to meet you though I did not exactly have a long chat with you, I was that guy who was at E1PersonalAudio's shop earlier on Saturday who shooked hands with you before I left with some fellow forumers from my country, I believe I thanked you as well for previously commenting on my CK100PRO's discussion thread though not exactly sure if you still remember me for who am I since I believe it has been quite a busy and hectic weekend for you.
:xf_eek:

I was very happy to be able to meet upclose and personal with some of the legends reknowned in the audio industry, such as Mr. Keita Suyama-san from FitEar booth, who was extremely humble and friendly and even graciously helped to sign on my booklet for me which came from one of my Headphone Book japanese magazine. Spent some time and chatted with him and had a brief understanding about his upcoming universal Monet/alternative white variant of Parterre latest prototypes. Was extremely impressed by the white variant of Parterre in terms of SQ performance, which was said to be tuned more for mainstream pops instead of classical genres, which the original black Parterre's were created/engineered for in the first place. (the original Parterre's had this non-fatiguing sound signature which I enjoyed as well, but in my own words was alittle too laid-back for my own taste preferences coming from quite energetic phones such as AD1000PRM/CK100PRO)

I spent most of my time on Sat actually sticking around at FitEar's booth as well as at Final Audio Design since I already owned 2 products from this company. It was quite unfortunate that I was not able to meet personally with Mr. Kanemori Takai-san as I was informed on Sat by one of the booth representatives that Mr Takai-san left early on Saturday noon and wasn't coming back on Sun. I actually brought my Piano Forte IX box down as I was gonna request for his autograph signature, but alas it seems that we wasn't fated to meet, lols. Oh wells, that probably gives me the determination and motivation to perhaps make time for a Tokyo trip probably next year, hopefully I will be able to attend one of those headphone festivals organised by Fujiya-Avic, and probably have a chance to meet Mr. Takai-san for myself next time.

I already had the chance to try most Final Audio Design products before this Mook Festival, so most of the IEMs displayed there wasn't exactly new to me at all. Tried the Heaven V Aging for the first time, but I still greatly preferred Heaven VI's presentation/signature wise in overall, but the real surprise for me at their booth was the Pandora Hope VI which was based on a 50-mm driver with dual-hybrid Balanced Armature/Dynamic units. I was extremely impressed by it's performance/value and will be proceeding to order my own pair very soon, once it's out in Japan officially.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:
Nice work ClieOS. Just a minor correction. I'm pretty sure the Analog Squared Paper with the 4x 1T4 or 1U4 tubes is actually TU-05b. Don't think there's a TU-08 yet?

Yep, it is typo.

Aug 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 41
Oh, forgot to mention I tried SE846 as well. Definitely one of the best universal around. Shure really hits a home run on this though I still think it is too pricy.

Aug 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 41
Hello!

Nice write up and I was "this" close to pack myself there but there's guest coming over so I missed my meet with Jerry and SRH-846 T.T

Minor note for you ClieOS, I see you write "PCB" instead of "PSB" :)

Thanks for sharing!
Billson :)

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:
Minor note for you ClieOS, I see you write "PCB" instead of "PSB"
smily_headphones1.gif

Corrected. Thanks.

Quote:
What is the story behind the Jerry Harvey carbon fiber creation and case?

I think he said on the show to another person that the reason to offer carbon fiber finishing is to further differentiate his products from others. Not just on the face plate but the whole package as well.

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:
I think he said on the show to another person that the reason to offer carbon fiber finishing is to further differentiate his products from others. Not just on the face plate but the whole package as well.

Indeed, just to add on, he also mentioned the idea of full titanium shell with the same intention to differentiate from his competitors, on top of looking awesome.

I feel like the carbon fiber case is a revisit of a previously used JHAudio case that had carbon fiber skin instead of true carbon fiber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back