Pics of my rig
Feb 25, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
W2002 looks sexy, HD600 looks classy, coolness factor is dependant on your view of style.

I think $800 is a rip off, it probably only costs AT $100/ea to build them, I'd definately order one if they made a cheaper non laquer/LE version of it for say $250. And don't reply with "Get the W100".

I think the 600's are butt ugly, i can't stand that formica looking crap on them, it reminds me of my friend's kitchen, looked better there than on a pair of headphones. I have the 580's and i think they look more classy. Again, IMHO. As far as spending $$$ on headphones, companies need to make a profit on anything, thats how they stay in business. Imagine the cost of someone sitting there and MANUALLY making those wood pieces, it costs money to pay people to do stuff like that. I haven't heard those cans and probably never will. When the time comes, i will definitely splurge and buy myself a kick ass pair of STAX!
cool.gif

Feb 25, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #32 of 50
You pretty much hit it on the head. I know I probably should stay out of this being a rookie, but it's all relative. Over priced products are for the wealthy, they find money like that in their cushins. I've seen Michael Jordan with a different set of phones at every interview. Guys like us take a long hard look at what we spend our money on, 6 weeks to decide on 600's. If I had the money to splurge I'd probably play Pebble Beach. My next purchase is an amp and I hope it doesn't take another 6 weeks. Good luck on the stax, maybe some day me too.
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2002 at 2:15 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael

In my opinion it is his problem.
If he can freely say the W2002 is a rip off, and that it probably costs $100 to build, then who are you to correct my interpretation of that?? I think he has a problem. It might be that he doesnt know what the hell he's talking about, or it might be that he cant afford the W2002.. or I might be wrong. Either way, since we seem to be bashing opinions around, I dont think its your job to correct my word useage.

So do I have a problem too. And can I also not afford the W2002's? If you can answer those questions I suggest you give Miss Cleo a call, I hear she's hiring.

Feb 25, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci
So do I have a problem too. And can I also not afford the W2002's?

If you posted, without having heard them or knowing what went into their construction, that the W2002 is a rip off and that they probably cost $100 to build, then yes.. I guess I would lump you into the same catagory as that other guy. But you didnt say that. What you said is that you prefer not to spend that much on a headphone, regardless. End of story. I dont have the slightest problem with that (of course.) There are expensive headphones that warrant their price (both in terms of sound and construction), and the W2002 is one of them, but they are not for everybody (no matter how much bread they have)- thats a given.

Feb 25, 2002 at 4:38 AM Post #35 of 50
$800 will buy you one of a selection of amps that most people here seem happy with, the HD600 and a set of blue clou or equivalent.

$800 will buy you the W2002.

Which is better?

You don't have any way of knowing without listening. Not having this ability doesn't make you foolish, but presuming to know that the latter choice is absolutely the wrong one without hearing them is, in my opinion, very foolish.

Listen then judge or do not judge.

Feb 25, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #36 of 50
Actually no its not his problem at all Mrael

Your word usage is incorrect, correct it!!

HAPPY FACE

And Kelly man, somone has a personal right to declare $800 to be too much to pay for anything, whether they have heard them or not!!

Feb 25, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #37 of 50
I guess if someone thinks an $800. hp is a rip off then it's just their opinion, but when others have already shelled out their hard earned cash, there might be nicer ways of expressing that thought if at all.

I guess the other question would be why does everyone take these toys so seriously?

Feb 25, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by ai0tron

And Kelly man, somone has a personal right to declare $800 to be too much to pay for anything, whether they have heard them or not!!

Obviously, I disagree. If you tell me you found the world's coolest stapler and it costs $50,000, if I can't experience it, I'd have to abstain from judging it. As far as I know, it could be the world's first stapler to induce feelings of orgasm and a warm chocolate chip cookie. And maybe, just maybe, if I tried this magical device I'd be saving every cent I could to come up with $50k and if I never tried it, I'd never know--but I'd keep my mouth shut until I got a chance to check it out, and THEN I'd call you a moron for spending so much if it didn't deliver.

Feb 25, 2002 at 6:14 AM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
I guess the other question would be why does everyone take these toys so seriously?

At home, I only take my headphones seriously in the sense that I dont wreck them by tossing them around, scratching them up, or sitting on them or whatever. Thats at home. But around here, I'm less sure of what 'serious' means. I can be as silly of an ass as the next guy (especially when it happens to be morphsci.)

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael

At home, I only take my headphones seriously in the sense that I dont wreck them by tossing them around, scratching them up, or sitting on them or whatever. Thats at home. But around here, I'm less sure of what 'serious' means. I can be as silly of an ass as the next guy (especially when it happens to be morphsci.)

smily_headphones1.gif

Hey! I'm not silly!
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci
Hey! I'm not silly!
biggrin.gif

Are so.

Feb 25, 2002 at 7:23 AM Post #43 of 50
But there is no such thing as magic staplers!! Headphones as practical devices that function within the bounds of reality can be assigned a maximum worth as can anything. A person who will not pay more than 10 bucks for a pen and scoffs at those who pay more is perfectly within their rights! I mean, they need to write well, they don't need it to be gold plated and fashioned from hand in the foothills of some small european country. Some people simply will not assign the same value to a product that others will, thats there right! Call it ignorance, but perhaps they will call you and I, since I too subscribe to this audio hi-fi theory, delusional.

Feb 25, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Obviously, I disagree. If you tell me you found the world's coolest stapler and it costs $50,000, if I can't experience it, I'd have to abstain from judging it. As far as I know, it could be the world's first stapler to induce feelings of orgasm and a warm chocolate chip cookie. And maybe, just maybe, if I tried this magical device I'd be saving every cent I could to come up with $50k and if I never tried it, I'd never know--but I'd keep my mouth shut until I got a chance to check it out, and THEN I'd call you a moron for spending so much if it didn't deliver.

Actually, your argument is pretty wrecked. In general, I would agree with the sentiment of, "You paid US$50K for a stapler, you're insane!" as being rude, but the statement is, "Well, you go right ahead and pay US$50K for a stapler, that's too much for me to pay for a stapler...[goes on to explain why]..."

I think the "...you go right ahead..." part is implicit.

Feb 25, 2002 at 7:33 AM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
Obviously, I disagree. If you tell me you found the world's coolest stapler and it costs $50,000, if I can't experience it, I'd have to abstain from judging it.

To me, no stapler in the world is worth $50,000, no matter how well it staples, and I don't have to try it out to know that for me. If it does more than staple (as in your example explained) then it's not a stapler. A stapler staples. Your combination stapler/vibrator/BarbieMagicOven isn't a stapler
biggrin.gif

Anyways... someone else absolutely has the right to say that $800 is too much to spend on headphones for them, no matter how good those heapdhones might be relative to other headphones. As any Econ 101 course will tell you, value is entirely subjective. If a person's personal preferences and values dictate that NO amount or degree of audio quality is worth $800 to them, then it's simply not worth it to them, no matter how good they might sound to those people have heard them. This isn't a debatable proposition, as each person's definition of "value" and "worth" are personal, and not up for debate
wink.gif
If a person's preferences dictate that they just can't or won't spend more than $400 on a pair of headphones, then no matter how good your $800 headphones sound, no matter how much better they sound than his/her $400 headphones, they simply aren't worth it to that person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back