Pics of my rig
Feb 22, 2002 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

dhwilkin

Headphone audiophiles are practically the stuff of legend.
OK, since I finally got a FlashCard Reader that actually gets along w/ my computer, I've uploaded a bunch of pics of my rig and other fun stuff for your viewing pleasure. Easy on the photography critiquing, I'm still just a point-and-click photographer for now. Have fun!

Feb 22, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 50
Is that like a 13" Wega?
tongue.gif

Looks small at least....Nice pics, they look a bit pixelly though. Lighting is good though.

Feb 22, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #4 of 50
I got the impression both from the audio rig and HT rig that dhwilkin likes to do his listening and watching from the floor perhaps, sort of like M Rael's setup. If that's true, the speaker stands are at a perfect height.

Feb 22, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #5 of 50
cool pics! is that an adire audio rava sub you got there?

by the way, I've heard that nOrh 4.0s cast a tall soundstage, and they're also a little tilted upwards. perhaps low stands work well with them.

Feb 22, 2002 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 50
Can you give us a brief comparison of the 2000's vs the HD 580's, other than the fact that the 2000s have a WAY higher coolness factor...

Feb 22, 2002 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

gloco said...

Is that like a 13" Wega?
tongue.gif

Har har. I had to take the pic like that because I wanted to get everything in the shot. It's actually a 28'' Wega, which is a respectable-enough size.
Quote:

Vertigo-1 said...

I got the impression both from the audio rig and HT rig that dhwilkin likes to do his listening and watching from the floor perhaps, sort of like M Rael's setup. If that's true, the speaker stands are at a perfect height.

Almost right. I don't do my listening on the floor, but there's a couple of couches on the opposite side of the room. I sit or lie down on those. Actually, I should say I sink in those, because they're really comfortable, and don't have firm seats. So I'm not that far off the floor. Actually, my headphone rig is in my bedroom, next to my computer desk, so for that I mostly listen sitting in a chair, though sometimes I'll listen on my bed.
Quote:

Neruda said...

cool pics! is that an adire audio rava sub you got there?

by the way, I've heard that nOrh 4.0s cast a tall soundstage, and they're also a little tilted upwards. perhaps low stands work well with them.

It is indeed an Adire Rava sub. It's very well made, looks extremely classy, and does a good job in HT and music duties. And you got it right about the Norhs. The tweeter is angled somewhat upwards, so having low stands is actually the best strategy, and is used by most Norh owners. The stands are roughly 2' tall.

Actually, though you can't tell from the pics (or even up close sometimes, they blend well) I have three ceramic tiles, spraypainted black, sitting on each stand for extra weight and surface area, and the Norhs are on top of those.
Quote:

2 channel said...

Can you give us a brief comparison of the 2000's vs the HD 580's, other than the fact that the 2000s have a WAY higher coolness factor...

I intend to, but not until the 2002s have had a chance to burn-in, as I just got them yesterday. So I probably won't start doing serious evaluating until Sunday or Monday. If you want to see my really brief, pre-burn-in impressions, you can check my thread in the Headphones forum.

Feb 22, 2002 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 50
dusty, it looks like you & i have the same tv.

the wega really benefits from calibration. let me know if you're interested i can help you turn off the red push, adjust the screen geometry and anamorphic aspect ratio (wegas tend to oversqueeze the picture). besides those service menu adjustments the factory settings for picture are WAY too bright... calibrating with a video essentials or avia disc is needed.

Feb 23, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 50
Nice DNRFB collection
wink.gif

I have to say, I opened all my devilman figures so that I could 'play' with them - they're amazingly well made and often have a lot of detail on the back that you can't see from the front of the box, but I left my person!! figures packaged as they come in -really- nice display boxes..

.. rambling on..

Where can I find some more pics of the w2002 to convince my gf that 'very sexy' can apply to headphones?

I'd take some pics of my setup, but it's scattered - Loewe Xelos in one room, headphones in another.
And it's messy.
And not as fullon as most people here, but I'm working on it.

Feb 23, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
Where can I find some more pics of the w2002 to convince my gf that 'very sexy' can apply to headphones?

I have a few of them on my little W2002 website. Link below.

Nice pictures dhwilkin. In my opinion your room could use about a 300% dose of bohemian vibe added.. but thats just me.

Feb 23, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 50
MRael: I found your link about 2mins after posting...

*cry*

I don't care how they sound, they look so pretty...
and the case..

and..

*cry*

Feb 23, 2002 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

acidtripwow said...

I see that you play with dolls. Hey, what you do in your spare time is your business.
biggrin.gif

"Dolls"? Please, these are so much cooler than your average toy from the local store.
tongue.gif

Snufkin, yeah I kinda want to take the figures out, but then I wouldn't be able to arrange them like I have them now. And I gotta admit, the actual boxes for the Alice figures look extremely good, which is part of the reason I left them in.
Quote:

M Rael said...

Nice pictures dhwilkin. In my opinion your room could use about a 300% dose of bohemian vibe added.. but thats just me.

You mean the room w/ the Norhs and TV? I agree it's too sparse, but the guy that shares the apartment and I have somewhat different taste in decor, so we just agreed to leave it plain. Once I get my own place, I'll be free to style up the place.

Feb 23, 2002 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
MRael: I found your link about 2mins after posting...

*cry*

I don't care how they sound, they look so pretty...
and the case..

and..

*cry*

Yes, these are the classic symptoms of accute headphone lust. You can either spend the money on costly psychotherapy, or just buy the headphones and be done with it.

p.s. In mexico they call the W2002: 'mas headcajones del norte'

Feb 23, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 50
I honestly can't afford them, especially considering current exchange rates - the $AU is worth .. well, very little
frown.gif

If I could get them for around $800AU I might be tempted, but not $1600ish

I'm going to have to stop looking at pictures of them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back