Pics of my rig
Feb 23, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
I'm going to have to stop looking at pictures of them now.

Yes, thats a good idea. Woopsie! How did this get in there-
purpleSM.jpg

Feb 23, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #19 of 50
Ah, I'll eventually have a good pre/pro for my HT system, but not until I get some more money and some more room for equipment. I like the 1050, it does its job quite well. Basic functions are a snap, and the sound is reasonably clean and authoritative. Can't say how the proprietary 6.1 algorithm sounds, since I don't have an extra rear speaker. Plenty of connection options on the back. I've read some people complaining about needing tech support to do the initial setup. I didn't think there was anything difficult about it, the manual does a decent job explaining things. The main things I'm not that fond of have to do w/ usability. Maybe it's me, but the layout of the buttons on the remote and the face for seldom-used functions seem random. Also, I'm still trying to figure out why the light under the power button on the face of the 1050 is only on when the unit is off.
confused.gif

Feb 24, 2002 at 2:02 PM Post #20 of 50
Snufkin, have you seen pics of the RKV Mark II amp? Acidtrip and I may have somewhat incomparible systems, but when mine arrives we'll both have the sexiest combination of headphone and amp.

rkv2000.jpg

Feb 24, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #21 of 50
W2002 looks sexy, HD600 looks classy, coolness factor is dependant on your view of style.

I think $800 is a rip off, it probably only costs AT $100/ea to build them, I'd definately order one if they made a cheaper non laquer/LE version of it for say $250. And don't reply with "Get the W100".

Feb 24, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
W2002 looks sexy, HD600 looks classy, coolness factor is dependant on your view of style.

I think $800 is a rip off, it probably only costs AT $100/ea to build them, I'd definately order one if they made a cheaper non laquer/LE version of it for say $250. And don't reply with "Get the W100".

I'd be not so quick to judge things I've never experienced if I were you.

Feb 24, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me

Get the...uh, why not? Isn't that what it is?

Feb 24, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

I'd be not so quick to judge things I've never experienced if I were you.

I agree with A&M, IMO $800 ( but not $475
smily_headphones1.gif
) is too much for a pair of phones, whether I heard them or not. That doesn't mean they are not worth it to someone else, just my own personal preference. based on Tomcat's and KurtW's posts it does seem like the W100 may need to be on my to get list.

Feb 24, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by morphsci

I agree with A&M, IMO $800 ( but not $475
smily_headphones1.gif
) is too much for a pair of phones, whether I heard them or not. That doesn't mean they are not worth it to someone else, just my own personal preference. based on Tomcat's and KurtW's posts it does seem like the W100 may need to be on my to get list.

So headphones that absolutely require an amp + amp for $800 is reasonable but $800 headphones, regardless of their quality with or without an amp, is absolutely a "rip off" at $800?

I find these things to be relative. Some of the same people who say $800 is a rip off WITHOUT HEARING THEM for a pair of headphones, would gladly pay $2000 for a Cary SEI amp to run their HD600s.

I'll stick to my original plan--listen first, criticize second. That'll help keep my foot out of my mouth.

Feb 24, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

So headphones that absolutely require an amp + amp for $800 is reasonable but $800 headphones, regardless of their quality with or without an amp, is absolutely a "rip off" at $800?

I find these things to be relative. Some of the same people who say $800 is a rip off WITHOUT HEARING THEM for a pair of headphones, would gladly pay $2000 for a Cary SEI amp to run their HD600s.

I'll stick to my original plan--listen first, criticize second. That'll help keep my foot out of my mouth.

Actually what I said is that IMO $800 is too much to pay for a pair of headphones. That is my personal opinion and in no way should impact anyone elses opinion. It is the way I purchase all my gear. I decide how much it is worth, TO ME, and that is my limit on paying for it. At this time there is no pair of headphones that are worth $800 to me, so I will not be buying any. I do not care how they sound since I am not making any judgement as to their relative price/performance ratio. I feel that way about a lot of popular components. E.g. the Melos SHA-1, to me it is not worth $600, so I will not be buying one anytime soon. When I was searching for my 333, I was not going to pay any more than $500, so it took me a little longer to find one.

So since I cannot be wrong about MY PERSONAL PREFERENCES, I have no worries about where my foot is located, nor do I have any regrets about any of my gear or what I paid for it.

P.S. None of my phones absolutely requires an amp, although when I purchase a pair of HD600's, that may change.

Feb 25, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #28 of 50
I dont need an argument within myself to buy the $700 W2002. But if I did, it would be that I love listening to my music whenever I want and whatever volume I choose, regardless of the time of day or having people in the other room. I spent more than twice that on floorspeakers that I dont listen to nearly as much. If $700 can get me a little piece of musical heaven in a package that I appreciate and admire all on its own, then thats a bargain. If Audio&Me thinks the price is a rip off.. thats his perogitive, and its his problem. I dont agree with him, and I also dont have that problem.

Feb 25, 2002 at 12:27 AM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

If Audio&Me thinks the price is a rip off.. thats his perogitive, and its his problem. I dont agree with him, and I also dont have that problem.

Ya, that's his opinion, but it's not his problem. I'm sure plenty of people think you have a problem because you spend that much on headphones...

As far as the w2002s being a rip off, don't know yet, I'll hear them tomorrow.

Feb 25, 2002 at 12:38 AM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Flumpus
Ya, that's his opinion, but it's not his problem

In my opinion it is his problem.
If he can freely say the W2002 is a rip off, and that it probably costs $100 to build, then who are you to correct my interpretation of that?? I think he has a problem. It might be that he doesnt know what the hell he's talking about, or it might be that he cant afford the W2002.. or I might be wrong. Either way, since we seem to be bashing opinions around, I dont think its your job to correct my word useage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back