Pics of my rig
Feb 25, 2002 at 7:56 AM Post #46 of 50
Well, this certainly isn't the first time I've held an unpopular view in these parts.

I wonder how many people would feel the same way if the variables were adjusted. What if someone who had an expensive amp and CD player said to you, "No headphone is worth more than $20 to me." After all, the $20 barrier is more representative of the general market than the $300 or whatever arbitrary number we've chosen to exclude the Audio-Technicas.

Bear in mind, that I argue not the legality of placing a maximum spending number on a piece of audio equipment without hearing it. I would call the ACLU myself to open a case if someone were to attempt to remove your right to do that. Rather, I argue its stupidity.

Feb 25, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #47 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I wonder how many people would feel the same way if the variables were adjusted. What if someone who had an expensive amp and CD player said to you, "No headphone is worth more than $20 to me." After all, the $20 barrier is more representative of the general market than the $300 or whatever arbitrary number we've chosen to exclude the Audio-Technicas.

Actually, I have had just such statements made to me. I still feel it is their right though I may not agree with it. I do not really see a problem here. As MacDEF said value is a subjective, personal opinion not necessarily subject to debate. It doesn't matter whether it is headphones, amps, cars, pens, vibrator/staplers, etc. You are certainly entitled to your own personal opinion of value, but so is everyone else. I would argue that argueing about someones personal opinion seems a little vacuous and arrogant an arguement to me (just personal opinion).
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2002 at 6:36 PM Post #48 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

To me, no stapler in the world is worth $50,000, no matter how well it staples, and I don't have to try it out to know that for me

Actually, I've used a $50,000 stapler (really, I think it was closer to $70k).

Of course it had an automatic feeder that took a 6 foot stack of card board refrigerator boxes and punched about 5 staples a second.
biggrin.gif
(International paper, we made boxes)

But I think we are all in agreement on the principle:
Anyone has the right to SAY, and even BELEIVE that X amount of dollars is too much to spend on anything, but it doesn't make it an inherently intelligent statement or belief - its the reasoning that is debatable.

Feb 25, 2002 at 7:13 PM Post #49 of 50
I'm with kelly on this, you guys took his statement the wrong way. Although it's weird how kelly scorns me for saying the W2002's too expensive, $800!
biggrin.gif

If the price seems obnoxious on a product, then it is a rip off to me, I don't care if I haven't tried it, I'm not paying what ever grossly overpriced amount of something I do not hold that high of value for. Remember, these are material things, they really don't mean much at all. How much work (assuming you've earned your money to pay for what ever) are you willing to do to obtain something???

AIfreak is right, the value (worth) of something differs from person to person, unless two or more people share the same perspective...

Feb 26, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #50 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by M Rael
p.s. In mexico they call the W2002: 'mas headcajones del norte'

No, we don't do that.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back