Pico - USB DAC/Amplifier From HeadAmp
Jan 16, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #601 of 711
Hmmm.

I get the same ground loop buzz with my Toshiba R25 with the same AC Adapter.

I'll try a different AC adapter and see if it's just that AC adapter.

*Edit - I tried a different Toshiba AC adapter, an older one. No ground loop buzz this time. I did get one weird loud pop noise when I touched the case at first. Static electricity discharge? Didn't happen again. So the buzzing must be coming from that particular AC adapter. I'll try this same AC adapter that is not buzzing with my R25 and try it with my older Toshiba 3505 and see if the buzz is gone as well, that will confirm it's the AC adapter that's at fault.

*Edit 2 - Ground loop is still there, but much quieter with my Toshiba 3505 and the older AC adapter that wasn't buzzing with my Toshiba R25. I can only really hear is High gain and volume cranked to 1 O'Clock. No way I'd ever want to play anything at that volume with my Triple.Fi's. So practically speaking ground loop is not an issue with the older Toshiba PSU. I guess I'm going to relegate that newer PSU to back up use. Figures that the newer PSU is crap.

*Edit 3 - I get a small amount of ground loop with my Fujitsu P1610 with the AC adapter plugged in, but it's only at really high volumes in high gain. So again, not as bad as the crappy Toshiba PSU.

-Ed

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #602 of 711
Damnit I'm back in an expensive way
frown.gif
Thanks Justin.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #603 of 711
Hmmmm. Might just be a "problem" with my Pico. Justin offered to check out my Pico and see if he can make the ground loop buzz go away.

It doesn't even bother me since the ground loop only happens in instances where I'd never listen to music (that is if I don't want to go deaf). I mostly listen to music with my Pico with my desktop computer that doesn't have ground loop buzzing and I use my Fujitsu on battery power all the time anyways.

But Justin's such a perfectionist that way. Awesome.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #604 of 711
I tried mine on 4 PCs and a laptop so far, in silent conditions, air con and everything off, real early morning or late night. At full power with the music paused I can't hear anything but the quietest possible hum, far quieter than the ticking of any ipod/imod when it's plugged into the input. Very impressive.

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #606 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Are you offering gain customization?

Probably not. Low gain works perfect for IEMs, high gain for everything else.

2) How much gain are you implementing on the Pico?

Low is 2 (6dB), and high is 8 (18dB).

3) I have read the AE-2 is as quiet as a mouse on Christmas day, will the Pico also be equally silent?

The Pico is quieter than the AE-2

4) How the heck did you fit all those specs into the Pico?
smily_headphones1.gif

I wanted the Pico to be a true effort to see how much one person can do with a 2" box. Someone who saw the prototype and said to me "There's a lot of s**t in there...I would just put in 1 chip". I hoped what makes the Pico different from that would be recognized and I'm happy that it is so far.

Does the Pico work well with the Senn's HD650 headphones?I hope so because I just ordered some today for my soon to be Pico!

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #607 of 711
Yes the Pico works great with the 650's, provided you understand it won't work quite as well as a dedicated home amp with more robust power supply. I do have to say it drives my pair better than I've ever heard them out of a portable. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

I'm also extremely satisfied with the level of customer service Justin was able to afford me, even amidst all the craziness of getting the many preorders out the door. I originally received my gray pico w/DAC last Thursday and it sounded fantastic out of the box. My bliss was interrupted only a couple of hours into listening however because of a bad fuse. I emailed Justin right away and he responded immediately, telling me to overnight the amp back to him at his expense and he would diagnose it over the weekend. We remained in contact throughout and he kept me posted every step of the way. He wanted to keep the amp for the weekend to test it thoroughly. Long story short, I got the pico back today and it works perfectly. This experience was a stark contrast to the service I received from Stanley Beresford when I complained that he forgot to include a "bonus offer" digital cable with my TC-7510.

As far as the sound of the DAC and amp goes, it also clearly betters the Beresford for me in every way. I got really annoyed with all the zealous posts by a certain member who kept reiterating that the Beresford "destroyed" many $1000 and up DACs. I'm sorry but the Pico is the first product to make both my headphones and studio monitors sing as well as an apogee mini-dac. There was a glare and hardness to the Beresford that simply isn't there with the Pico. Testament to that is the fact that I've been home from work for nearly three hours now and haven't moved from my seat at all, not even to make dinner! The midrange is everything they say it is.

Jan 17, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #608 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by TR909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the Pico works great with the 650's, provided you understand it won't work quite as well as a dedicated home amp with more robust power supply. I do have to say it drives my pair better than I've ever heard them out of a portable. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

I'm also extremely satisfied with the level of customer service Justin was able to afford me, even amidst all the craziness of getting the many preorders out the door. I originally received my gray pico w/DAC last Thursday and it sounded fantastic out of the box. My bliss was interrupted only a couple of hours into listening however because of a bad fuse. I emailed Justin right away and he responded immediately, telling me to overnight the amp back to him at his expense and he would diagnose it over the weekend. We remained in contact throughout and he kept me posted every step of the way. He wanted to keep the amp for the weekend to test it thoroughly. Long story short, I got the pico back today and it works perfectly. This experience was a stark contrast to the service I received from Stanley Beresford when I complained that he forgot to include a "bonus offer" digital cable with my TC-7510.

As far as the sound of the DAC and amp goes, it also clearly betters the Beresford for me in every way. I got really annoyed with all the zealous posts by a certain member who kept reiterating that the Beresford "destroyed" many $1000 and up DACs. I'm sorry but the Pico is the first product to make both my headphones and studio monitors sing as well as an apogee mini-dac. There was a glare and hardness to the Beresford that simply isn't there with the Pico. Testament to that is the fact that I've been home from work for nearly three hours now and haven't moved from my seat at all, not even to make dinner! The midrange is everything they say it is.

Thank you for the info,it was educational!I can't wait for delivery.I will probably be able to diet,by not cooking as much either.LOL

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #610 of 711
For HD580/HD600 owners with HD650 cabling, what position is your Pico volume pot in, and what gain?

For me, I'm listening comfortably on the first gain around 12º->1º, but for song songs I need it at 3º.

I'm using the DAC via foobar through asio4all, max volume.

Jan 17, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #611 of 711
I'm using Cardas cabled HD600. You listen at 12 to 1 on low gain? Ouch! Depends on what level the recording was made. Usually, 12 is pushing it for me. Extended listening at that level gives me ringing ears.

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #612 of 711
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using Cardas cabled HD600. You listen at 12 to 1 on low gain? Ouch! Depends on what level the recording was made. Usually, 12 is pushing it for me. Extended listening at that level gives me ringing ears.

Is the gain switch for upping,and,or lowering sound?Example a sound booster.

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #613 of 711
I'd also like to know what the gain setting is for.

My current understanding is like that scene in Spinal Tap -- "Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure that's totally wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back