Pico + Grado 325i = SYNERGY!
Jan 22, 2008 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

gregeas

100+ Head-Fier
Every once in a while I come across a gear combination that simply has great synergy.

I spent the day listening to my Headamp Pico with a brand new pair of Grado 325i's, and let me tell you, this is a knockout combo.

The detail level is simply insane. I found myself looking around the room because I thought someone was talking to me, but it was a voice in the song I had never noticed before. I've had many revealing sources and systems over the years, so it's very rare that I'm surprised by new details.

I picked up the Grados because I wanted a nice setup I could fit into my laptop bag. (I'll be traveling extensively in the next month or so, and so I've been looking for a hotel-room rig.) HD650s are too bulky to bring with me, and I'm getting kind of tired of my e500s. These really don't nail the details compared to full-sized phones like the 650s. The Grados fold flat, which is nice. I pulled the trigger even though I was never impressed with the RS-1s I owned a while back.

The Pico with the 325s works especially well for fast, detailed textured music. I spent the day listening to 80s ska/punk: English Beat and The Clash... Very impressive. It's tough to imagine the 352i's sounding much better than they do with the Pico.

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd hate to be the guy sitting next you on the plane with your leaky grados

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregeas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said.

I have e500s for the plane... Grados are for the hotel.

x3. Be polite and bring your E500 along as well for the plane ride. Then you can unpack in your hotel room and then listen to the Grados there.

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 21
I happen to be enjoying my PC>Pico>325i atm. I've found that I'm listening to my 325i more than usual even though all of my cans sound great from this crazy little box. The midrange detail with 325i is crazy!-and even at low volume.

Jan 22, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 21
The 325i wont block enough plane noise (forget the person next to you,they wont hear it leaking over the plane anyway), and turning it up to go over the noise will make you deaf,and youll still hear the noise of the plane.
Bring IEMs for the plane, and use the 325i for the Hotel.

Jan 22, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 21
The 325i's don't scale very well. They sound great with nearly everything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2008 at 11:28 AM Post #10 of 21
Hi Gregeas, what do you use as your source? I am considering the Pico and am interested to know what you have plugged into it.

Cheers

Hingy

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 325i wont block enough plane noise (forget the person next to you,they wont hear it leaking over the plane anyway), and turning it up to go over the noise will make you deaf,and youll still hear the noise of the plane.
Bring IEMs for the plane, and use the 325i for the Hotel.

Trust me, I fly 50k miles per year. My e500s are what I use on planes. I'd never use Grados, or any open headphone, in public.

I'll be away from my bigger rigs for some time, so it'll be nice to do some critical listening in the hotels with Grados and the Pico.

Jan 22, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hingy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Gregeas, what do you use as your source? I am considering the Pico and am interested to know what you have plugged into it.

I'm using the DAC in the Pico converting lossless files from my laptop. The Pico compares nicely to my USB DAC1.

Mar 18, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #14 of 21
I would love to know if anyone has done an A/B test, running the 325i's off of the pico vs the ibasso P2.

I have seen positive reviews of both setups, and I would appreciate any comments that might help me decide on an appropriate amp to pair with my recently purchased 325i's.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 18, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 21
I'd like to know if someone had the chance to compare the Pico vs the ibasso P2 vs the Headsix with the 325i ?

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to know if anyone has done an A/B test, running the 325i's off of the pico vs the ibasso P2.

I have seen positive reviews of both setups, and I would appreciate any comments that might help me decide on an appropriate amp to pair with my recently purchased 325i's.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back