Picked up M-Audio Q40 - WOW
Jan 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #16 of 104

Quote:
Do you mean a shock? I don't remember getting that kind of pleasure from mine.
basshead.gif

yea it's giving me a shock about 2-3 times a day lately.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #17 of 104
I've never had this happen to me, but I'm guessing the metal in the cup/headband is just grounding you when you pick them up.  If I was a betting man, I'd say you're also right handed. :D

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #18 of 104

Quote:
I've never had this happen to me, but I'm guessing the metal in the cup/headband is just grounding you when you pick them up.  If I was a betting man, I'd say you're also right handed. :D

Yes I am haha. Since I'm a noob at these things, is there anything I could do to prevent this happening? But it happens while I listen to music, not when touching it. It shocks my ear. It also seems to happen especially if nodding my head (together with the music :p). At least I'm thinking that's very relevant to this discharge happening.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #19 of 104
Just grounding yourself to anything that is already grounded, like your metal computer case or amp case.  A humidifier if it's a serious problem also helps.  

Edit:  hmm either you're building up a serious static charge , or something is funky with the right earcup

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #20 of 104
Well I have one of those armbands computer guys usually use to get rid of the static when installing computers. I suppose I could give it a try and see if it helps any. The driver itself doesn't show any signs of defect soundwise, sounds as good as ever and it doesn't impact on how the music sounds when it happens, I just feel it tickling my ear quickly.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #21 of 104
Are you using the stock cable? Try changing cables if you have an extra cable and see if that changes anything.I suspect certain headphones cables can pick up static more then others.
But shadow419 and yourself have thought of some good alternatives.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #22 of 104

Quote:
Are you using the stock cable? Try changing cables if you have an extra cable and see if that changes anything.

Yea I'm using the stock cable. I only have a very low quality stereo cable I'd rather not use (it's as if it muddens up the midrange with it) as it seems to add some resistance (tames down hissing slightly with amps that have that issue) and some 30 cm that's too short. But could really the cable be it I wonder though.

But what I can say is that the cable is touching my sweater usually so maybe it could be related if the shielding is very poor on this cable. Then again it only has happened with the right driver so far.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #23 of 104
I've yet to read it but I quickly found this thread when I searched on google Q40 shocks my ear: http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?3012-Q40-Electical-Shock-in-my-ear

Well I found an aprox 50 cm cable that was included with the ZO amp I can use, the other one didn't fit in there. Will see if it helps. Worth mentioning is that the ZO2 amp have the jacks slightly "sinked-in" so perhaps that's an issue too. They aren't quite in-level with the bracket on the side but they lay like 0.5~1mm deeper inside. With this cable I use now it goes "fully in". Too bad the sound seems a little "thinner" with this cable but at the same time transparency and resolution in highs is improved (yea I heard same differences comparing these two cables earlier when plugged between the amp & soundcard). Yea I believe I can tell small differences like that apart as I've spent so much time EQing so I'm used to listen for small changes in sound.

EDIT: Upon closer inspection it could very well be the cable/amp plug issue here because the stock Q40 cable doesn't have that small standard "ring"-width at the base of the connector, it's much wider so it won't touch the jacks on the ZO2 amp but stay like 0.5 mm between it. I've checked the cable for all my other headphones and they seem to have that standard sized ring at the base of the plug which would fit in the ZO2 amp jack fully. Could this be it?

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #24 of 104
So far so good with the other cable, keeping fingers crossed!

I'm now noticing how bad the stock cable is sound quality wise, I'm even noticing larger soundstage with this other cable (which looks exactly like something you'd get with a FiiO amp for example) and better transparency and resolution and "airier" highs. Maybe I should search for a more proper cable for this headphone haha. Any1 got any suggestions on cables? I'm not buying into this highend cable thing but I do know there's difference in sound between cables so I'd want to know which $10~$15 or whatever stereo cable is a good buy because some cables may be sold for like $10 but is like cheap $0.20 cheap stuff manufactured in china with horrible employee working conditions etc which ofc I don't want to buy.

It's funny that I've thought soundstage on Q40 could be better and it was just about average for a closed headphone despite not being fully closed and I have to use my dolby headphone config for significantly increased soundstage but now when I've switched cable I find the soundstage to sound great even with the custom foobar2000 dolby headphone config disabled. :O Stereo seperation is very excellent. Can't believe the soundstage has been cramped so much due to the cable used, haha.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #25 of 104
Unfortunately it still gave me a shock just now, wasn't listening to any music this time. Decided to open it up and remove every piece of hair stuck around the driver covering sheilding just in case it would be easier "led" towards the ear by a hair hehe. xD Also opened up the cup to check if something would be looking odd but yea didn't find any unusal stuff but took some pics while I was at it:

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #26 of 104
So I did end up buying the used pair of Q40s. For 60 bucks with shipping, I got quite a good deal indeed! You can certainly tell that they're used but the sound is GOOD. Strong smooth bass, and the sound stage is better than I expected. Mids and Highs are solid as well, almost as detailed as my Samson 850s, and I've had those for months. My only issue I have right now is the clamping is a bit much for my big head, so it gets uncomfortable after a while. Definitely gonna try to fix that. Overall I feel extremely fortunate to grab such a good deal
beyersmile.png

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #27 of 104
Yea well it turns out the soundstage I've been hearing isn't its true soundstage haha, when I swapped cable for Q40 yesterday I think it became so much better because the cable hasn't been fully inserted into the amp, there's been like 0.5mm from it since the cable didn't have the small ring at the base of the tip of the connector which would be needed for it to go fully in. It went from like average closed soundstage to reasonably great semi-closed soundstage hehe. :p

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #28 of 104
/sub

I'm thinking about trying these out with a few of the tweaks you've been messing with, RPG.

Have you tried replacing the earpads yet?

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #29 of 104

Quote:
Have you tried replacing the earpads yet?

Not not yet but I know the BeyerDynamic DT770 pads fits wonderfully and works great according to people who tried it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/425760/my-studiophile-q40-dt770-cushion-upgrade

As you can see those pads would make it a bit deeper too, roughly the same as when I inserted the paper beneath the pads for the stock pads so I bet that's where improved soundstage comes from with those pads. Then again it works great like what I've done with the stock pads so I'm in no hurry, I don't care much about looks and such and the stock pads doesn't get sweaty either so. And neither could I decide if I should get the Beyer leather or velour pads. Or why not maybe the Gel pads? :p

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #30 of 104
Hey RPGWiz,

You are really convincing me to get these Q40's. You responded to my post about my disappointment in the Creative Aurvana Live!'s, and I'm trying to figure out what I want to replace them with.

I had a couple questions about the Q40 vs the HTF600.

The Q40 has more bass, and better bass, but how is the bass for the HTF600?  If you gave a score from 0-10 for bass for the Q40, what would the score be for the HTF600?

Also, how is the leakage for these headphones? I work in an office and don't want to disturb my coworkers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back