Picked up M-Audio Q40 - WOW
Jun 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #91 of 104
Quote:

Yes. The Shure pads didn't do a whole lot to improve the soundstage to my ears either. Making the stock pads deeper with stuffing does increase the soundstage but also decreases the mids so I didn't like it. Maybe if you really play around with the thickness of the stuffing you will hit a sweet spot but too much work for me.

Finally some1 who notices the differences. You're right the more deeper you make the more it affects mids (more V-shape sound is the first thing you should notice with deepend pads and I personally prefer that up-front mids so it's very critical to me the applied thickness), you only have to apply very thin layer and it also gets better after a little while in case you're using tissues or paper towels for example so it compresses, then it starts sounding better. I tried to exchange the paper towels I used some time ago but since I couldn't get the exact same sound back right off the bat I said just screw it and put the old paper towel inserts back. :p I tried also with the foam rings from the Hifiman leather pads but they didn't work out well as stuffing material, it became too boomy/lacking highs/warm so the material itself will play some role too.

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #92 of 104
My problem with the stock pads is that you cannot get a good seal at all without adding some padding. Honestly, I listened to a single song on them and switched the DT770 pads and then to the 840's. Since the Q40's don't swivel (IMO their biggest downfall) the back of the cups aren't easily sealed with circular pads. The DT770 and 840 pads make for better seals but the DT770 pads make the mids swim in bass. I haven't messed around with the stock pads and stuffing, but it is a requirement in my eyes in order to get a better seal and have a little bit more room in there. I'm glad you tried the HiFiMan foam inserts. I was thinking that they might help, but apparently not (haven't tried it myself).

Jun 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #94 of 104
Quote:

Yes. The Shure pads didn't do a whole lot to improve the soundstage to my ears either. Making the stock pads deeper with stuffing does increase the soundstage but also decreases the mids so I didn't like it. Maybe if you really play around with the thickness of the stuffing you will hit a sweet spot but too much work for me.

But how are the mids and highs and bass on the Shure 840 pads in your opinion? But did the 840 pads improve the soundstage SLIGHTLY?

Jun 6, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #95 of 104
Quote:
I guess I should mention that the 770 pads made a good seal, despite being circular, because they are much deeper.

Have you tried the HiFiMan leathers?  Very large round opening and very deep. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #97 of 104
Quote:
Have you tried the HiFiMan leathers?  Very large round opening and very deep. 

I have tried the pleathers. Actually, I still haven't tried the velours though... I'm in the process of making jerg pads for my HE-400's and I'm holding onto the velours in case I really mess up haha. Otherwise, I'll try them on the Q40's. I think they'll make a great seal because they are really firm and deep, but I'm hoping the mids don't disappear like others have experienced with deep pads... Honestly, I really enjoy the 840 pads. The sound is much better than the 770 pads and the fit is much much better.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #98 of 104
Quote:
I have tried the pleathers. Actually, I still haven't tried the velours though... I'm in the process of making jerg pads for my HE-400's and I'm holding onto the velours in case I really mess up haha. Otherwise, I'll try them on the Q40's. I think they'll make a great seal because they are really firm and deep, but I'm hoping the mids don't disappear like others have experienced with deep pads... Honestly, I really enjoy the 840 pads. The sound is much better than the 770 pads and the fit is much much better.

What's the difference between the HiFiMan pleathers and the 840 pads?

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #99 of 104

I found the 840 pads to be the best choice as well after trying about 6 different ones.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #100 of 104
Quote:
What's the difference between the HiFiMan pleathers and the 840 pads?

I didn't notice much of a difference, only that the fit wasn't as good. They still made a proper seal, but the HiFiMan pleathers are really really soft. This may be good or bad but I took it as bad because the part of the pad in front of my ear was squished to about 5mm and the pad thickness behind my ear wasn't squished much at all. Either way, instead of squashing the cotton in my pleathers, I converted them to jerg pads (much more bang-for-the-buck in a matter of speaking).

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #101 of 104
I didn't notice much of a difference, only that the fit wasn't as good. They still made a proper seal, but the HiFiMan pleathers are really really soft. This may be good or bad but I took it as bad because the part of the pad in front of my ear was squished to about 5mm and the pad thickness behind my ear wasn't squished much at all. Either way, instead of squashing the cotton in my pleathers, I converted them to jerg pads (much more bang-for-the-buck in a matter of speaking).

Could you explain what you mean by jerg pads?

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #102 of 104
Quote:
Could you explain what you mean by jerg pads?

Of course! They are pads that were modded for the HE-500 by the user jerg (link below). He has measurements and everything to show some really awesome improvements in the sound of the HE-500 and he also found them to be perfect for the 400's as well. I'm currently only on V1, but I plan to do the adhering and velour steps within the next couple days. I don't plan on using them for the Q40's, but this is the reason why I won't (they are awesome on my 400's).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646812/hifiman-he500-he400-jergpad-mod-v2-0

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #103 of 104
i have some q40s on order i was wondering if someone could describe the bass to me? preferably amp'd with artists like drake, tyga, rick ross or any DnB :) cheers (p.s my monsters normally vibrate when amp'd, but i am bearing in mind they are on ear and q40s are on ear so will the bass have more of a impact...........).

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #104 of 104
Quote:
i have some q40s on order i was wondering if someone could describe the bass to me? preferably amp'd with artists like drake, tyga, rick ross or any DnB :) cheers (p.s my monsters normally vibrate when amp'd, but i am bearing in mind they are on ear and q40s are on ear so will the bass have more of a impact...........).

They thump very good with amplification.  I've never tried without an amp or two. 

Read the previous postings about cable swap, pad swap, pad modifications and I think you'll like the Q40.  It can hold its own with most of my much spendier headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back