Picked up M-Audio Q40 - WOW
Jan 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #46 of 104
Quote:

It's really enough to pull them off without using any additional tools. Easiest is to grab it with the thumb on the outer side + index (pointy?) finger from the inside and pushing it a bit from the inside and just drag it off and then it will easily come off after that.

Do they basically just pop off then no twisting or anything like that I have to worry about?

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #47 of 104
Quote:
Do they basically just pop off then no twisting or anything like that I have to worry about?

Yea when you push it outwards from the inside the pleather "ring" / edge just comes off from the inside... it's really enough to push it outwards from the inside then it comes off.

May 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #51 of 104
Quote:
Does anybody know how the Shure SRH-840 compares to the Q40 with the 840 pads?

840 is much more neutral/midcentric, very laid back, sub bass gradually rolls off below 100Hz despite some good mid bass punch. It's capable of producing very low frequencies but without EQ sub bass is lacking in quantity. Among the best headphones for studio monitoring.

Q40 is all about the bass. The midrange is thicker/warmer. A lot more fun to listen to but obviousy not for monitoring.

May 29, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #52 of 104
Quote:
840 is much more neutral/midcentric, very laid back, sub bass gradually rolls off below 100Hz despite some good mid bass punch. It's capable of producing very low frequencies but without EQ sub bass is lacking in quantity. Among the best headphones for studio monitoring.

Q40 is all about the bass. The midrange is thicker/warmer. A lot more fun to listen to but obviousy not for monitoring.

What do you mean by thicker/warmer midrange? Is it more full? Also, what about the highs? I want some high quality headphones while they're fun to listen to.

May 29, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #53 of 104
Quote:
What do you mean by thicker/warmer midrange? Is it more full? Also, what about the highs? I want some high quality headphones while they're fun to listen to.

Thicker/warmer midrange as in there is more emphasis on the lower mids, so male vocals etc sound fuller. 840 has a bit more emphasis on the upper mids so female vocals, guitars etc sound amazing. 840 has more lower treble emphasis so it adds this airy shimmer to some instruments, but not as much as the Shure 440. Some people found their Q40 sibilant but my pair never had this problem so it may be a quality control issue. My Q40 has smooth, laid back highs and sometimes I add a bit of sparkle with EQ. 840 also has bigger soundstage whereas Q40 is more in your face.

May 29, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #54 of 104
Quote:

I master hardstyle tracks with my Q40 for a lot of newcomers especially. :p For me they work perfectly because due to the ability to feel the bass I can more accurately tell that the bass levels are suitable (when I start to feel it, then I know it's fine). With a more bass anemic pair it would be much more difficult for me and the mids and highs are nicely balanced without the typical rollercoaster frequency response for a bass heavy pair.

I think there is often put a lot of exaggeration on the product used instead of emphasizing one person's ability to interpret what they hear and the ability to put your personal preferences aside and just try to tweak for the "golden middlepath". Golden middlepath means if you've heard a lot of tracks by retail high quality stuff, you know roughly how it should sound like, how loud the mids & highs should be versus the lows etc ON THAT PARTICULAR headphone. If I swapped headphones now to a new one it would take quite a while before I'd be able to master as nicely as on the Q40 as I don't know how retail tracks are sounding on those new headphones so I can't accurately judge, is what I'm tweaking good or not. I mean if your Ultrasone PRO900 has retail tracks sounding slightly painfully bright then your masterings should also sound slightly painfully bright. That is how I work, I compare with professionally company made stuff to get a grasp what it should be like as I believe if you take a large chunk of data, some of it will be slightly "extreme" and out of place but the average value of that data will work best for the biggest amount people. That's how I do my mastering, primarily it should sound like the "average retail hardstyle track", that is the first priority, the golden middlepath rule.

May 29, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #55 of 104
Quote:
Thicker/warmer midrange as in there is more emphasis on the lower mids, so male vocals etc sound fuller. 840 has a bit more emphasis on the upper mids so female vocals, guitars etc sound amazing. 840 has more lower treble emphasis so it adds this airy shimmer to some instruments, but not as much as the Shure 440. Some people found their Q40 sibilant but my pair never had this problem so it may be a quality control issue. My Q40 has smooth, laid back highs and sometimes I add a bit of sparkle with EQ. 840 also has bigger soundstage whereas Q40 is more in your face.

And what pads do you have with the Q40's?

May 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #58 of 104
Quote:
What is better in your opinion, stock or 840 pads?

I know you were asking dakanao but I've tried 6 different pads on the Q40.  My opinion - 840 much better than stock.  HiFiMan leathers better than stock and about equal to 840's.  Maybe it's the comfort improvement swaying my impressions but the stockers just don't cut it for me. 

Beyer velours - uber comfy, killed the bass.
Beyer clear gels - uber weird feeling, great sound, hard to look at.  LOL

May 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #59 of 104
Quote:
I know you were asking dakanao but I've tried 6 different pads on the Q40.  My opinion - 840 much better than stock.  HiFiMan leathers better than stock and about equal to 840's.  Maybe it's the comfort improvement swaying my impressions but the stockers just don't cut it for me. 

Beyer velours - uber comfy, killed the bass.
Beyer clear gels - uber weird feeling, great sound, hard to look at.  LOL

Did you try the HiFiMan velour pads? Also, what's improved with the 840 pads compared to stock in your opinion?

May 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #60 of 104
Quote:
Did you try the HiFiMan velour pads? Also, what's improved with the 840 pads compared to stock in your opinion?

No on the HiFiMan velours.

840 pads were so much more comfy and to me the bass was cleaner than stock. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back