Photo-Fi Japan
Dec 21, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #16 of 45
Are you using your 20/2,8 AiS?

No, sorry I mis-typed. I have the 24/2.0. And I don't use it often. When I take out the D700 it's mostly because I need the AF speed (mostly it's about trying to get a decent photo of the ever-moving offspring.)

One of my good friends sold off his Nikkor manual lenses and his full Mamiya 7 system. He went all in on MFD (which costs about as much as a decent car.) Selling my MF Nikkors seems like a waste. I will probably move on from some of the AF-D and AFS lenses however.

Dec 28, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #17 of 45
I played with the Alpha 7R today at the Sony Ginza & Lemon stores and liked it quite a bit..but, no English menu option!? I know it's typical of Sony for their lower ended DSCs but I thought this upper end model would have an English option.

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #18 of 45
I absolutely love my alpha 7, no regrets whatsoever coming from the d7000! The lack of english menu is a bummer but not a show stopper for me, it's quick to get adjusted to the various options (at least the few that matter for me). The only painfull bit is the zoom in review: it goes straight to the 100% crop and I have to spin the wheel several times to zoom back out midway.

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 45
I absolutely love my alpha 7, no regrets whatsoever coming from the d7000! The lack of english menu is a bummer but not a show stopper for me, it's quick to get adjusted to the various options (at least the few that matter for me). The only painfull bit is the zoom in review: it goes straight to the 100% crop and I have to spin the wheel several times to zoom back out midway.

D7000....(I needed to wring my head around that...kept thinking Denon). If I could have put on an English firmware (pls don't suggest the more expensive international version from Laox :wink:), I'd probably hop onto it.

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #20 of 45
  I played with the Alpha 7R today at the Sony Ginza & Lemon stores and liked it quite a bit..but, no English menu option!? I know it's typical of Sony for their lower ended DSCs but I thought this upper end model would have an English option.

Panasonic does the same thing. They are fighting grey market sellers who buy in Japan and sell overseas.

I buy my cameras overseas (Robertwhite.co.uk for my GH2 with English menu.)

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #22 of 45
Thanks gen :). Was using a cheap plastic 35mm / 1.8 with my d7000 (50mm eqv.). Now using the the alpha 7 with the 35mm/2.8 lens, and it feels like it's all I will ever need!

I used to get so bothered with carrying the kids and the dslr, impossible to take a pic with a kid in dakoimo, now I miss much less opportunities.

One thing I noticed is that it's goid practice to take multiple shots in continuous mode (I think it's close to 4fps with the alpha 7) as there's always one shot much sharper than the others (somehow often the last one).

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #23 of 45
take multiple shots in continuous mode (I think it's close to 4fps with the alpha 7) as there's always one shot much sharper than the others (somehow often the last one).

Great advice! I do not do that now but will do so moving forward.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #25 of 45
I am thinking about selling off my micro4/3 stuff and getting that Sony RX10 for the video. I love that it has a great lens, 3 EV ND filter built in, optical IS, and external audio options (even XLR!) Doing all of that on my GH2 is such a hassle that I never do it...

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #26 of 45

Panasonic does the same thing. They are fighting grey market sellers who buy in Japan and sell overseas.

Yeah with my Panasonic Lumix, I found someone who hacked the international firmware to allow it to be put onto the Japanese Lumix. I've not searched for the Sony's yet.

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #27 of 45
Seems rather tricky from what I've read, at least not worth the hassle imho considering how easy to use the interface is.

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #28 of 45

It's been a sony thing across all their lines from day one. They pull the grey market card, but it isn't about that. It is ridiculous that the most computer-like camera in my staple and in anyone's can't have more than one firmware language. Speaking of firmware... getting around the a7r firmware requires a license in topography. Love the images it makes, but very very very much hate using it as a photo-taking machine.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #29 of 45
Curra, my dear fellow, how does one make an entry for Vorzüge VorzAMP PURE II? I made a review of it and wanted to put it up here (along with some photos to stay with the thread) but had to put it under PURE version I. I'd like to put it in its proper place. The review is here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/vorzuge-vorzamppure/reviews/10263

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #30 of 45
Not certain what you're asking for as you've already created the below :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/698734/vorz-ge-vorzamp-pure-ii-review-and-impressions

Was there somewhere else you wanted to create the thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back