Phonak Perfect Bass 012 & 022 - new models
Jun 7, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #16 of 86
What's up with the companies now?

RE0               -> RE ZERO
Hippo Shroom -> Hippo Shroom EB
PFE 112         -> PFE 012

but I like the way these things have developed :p

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #17 of 86
We've had confirmation that the first batch of the new Phonak PFE 012s and 022s has been shipped from Switzerland.
Hopefully we will have them in the UK by the end of the week!
beyersmile.png

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #19 of 86
Wow...I just have terrible luck. I loved my original PFEs, they made me appreciate the highs, clarity, vocals, treble ect when I got my sennheiser IE8s. But when the housing cracked and the cable broke, I decided to buy the IE8s but I still got the v2 replacement on the PFEs. I ended up losing the new pair of PFEs because I only used my IE8s and now hearing that there are new filters coming out is just a kick in the groin. >: [

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #21 of 86

Quote:
Changing filter alters the acoustic impedance, thus changing (lowering in the case) the overall sensitivity. In layman term it will be like 'adding denser filter gives you more bass but harder for the speaker to push'.

Hmm, never heard of a drivers sensitivity being measured in relation to their filters.  I came from the car audio world and never ever heard of drivers being measured in relation to their grills.  If the drivers were the same my guess would have been a cable change rather than filters.  I would certainly like to learn more if you are saying all IEM sensitivity and impedance figures are measured acoustically.  On another note, if the change is a denser filter I find it hard to believe the phone would produce the same top end as some have claimed. 

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #22 of 86
Quote:
Hmm, never heard of a drivers sensitivity being measured in relation to their filters.  I came from the car audio world and never ever heard of drivers being measured in relation to their grills.  If the drivers were the same my guess would have been a cable change rather than filters.  I would certainly like to learn more if you are saying all IEM sensitivity and impedance figures are measured acoustically.  On another note, if the change is a denser filter I find it hard to believe the phone would produce the same top end as some have claimed.

That is because sensitivity is not measured on the BA driver, but outside the nozzle of the earpiece using a dummy head (or something similar). Given that the voltage and power doesn't change (standardized tool), putting a denser filter means it is more difficult for the BA to push air from inside the BA, pass the filter and out to the coupler (where the measurement is taken). If you cover extra fabric over your car speaker, volume will drop as well (same watt generates less volume) - it is the same principle here. The sensitivity isn't measured on the speaker itself, but in the seat, so to speak. There is where the acoustic impedance of the whole system can be changed by filter (and I am not saying the sensitivity or electrical impedance of the BA itself have been changed).

As for whether the top-end will remain the same, that will have to wait till some one who own the PFE has compared both. My personal guess is the top-end will probably be a little weaker, but still more than enough to keep thing interested. Well, that's my hope anway.

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #23 of 86

Quote:
That is because sensitivity is not measured on the BA driver, but outside the nozzle of the earpiece using a dummy head (or something similar). Given that the voltage and power doesn't change (standardized tool), putting a denser filter means it is more difficult for the BA to push air from inside the BA, pass the filter and out to the coupler (where the measurement is taken). If you cover extra fabric over your car speaker, volume will drop as well (same watt generates less volume) - it is the same principle here. The sensitivity isn't measured on the speaker itself, but in the seat, so to speak. There is where the acoustic impedance of the whole system can be changed by filter (and I am not saying the sensitivity or electrical impedance of the BA itself have been changed).

As for whether the top-end will remain the same, that will have to wait till some one who own the PFE has compared both. My personal guess is the top-end will probably be a little weaker, but still more than enough to keep thing interested. Well, that's my hope anway.

Interesting, I had no idea that was the IEM standard, is it the same practice for all headphones then??

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #24 of 86
Quote:
Interesting, I had no idea that was the IEM standard, is it the same practice for all headphones then?

AFAIK, IEM measurement are all done with a coupler (may it be dummy head or not). Headphone measurement are usually done with a dummy head, much like the one HeadRoom used (which should be in Tyll's place now and he had brought to CanJam a few days ago if I am not mistaken).

Jun 11, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #25 of 86
Anyone tried or bought or .. ?

I am very interested in them...

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #26 of 86

Quote:
Anyone tried or bought or .. ?

I am very interested in them...

Still not on their website.
I got my PFE's about 2 weeks ago, with the black filters they are just about perfect for what I listen to most. I'd love to try out the new 'green' filters though. While I do not use an amp, I am guessing the green filters might work better with an amp?

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #27 of 86
Not on their website but hifiheadphones started to sell them. They are saying in stock and ready to ship...

I really like pfe with black filters like you and very curious about new green filters..

Quote:
Still not on their website. I got my PFE's about 2 weeks ago, with the black filters they are just about perfect for what I listen to most. I'd love to try out the new 'green' filters though. While I do not use an amp, I am guessing the green filters might work better with an amp?

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #28 of 86
I'm real interested in the green also.  I have been using the greys with Comply tips to attenuate the high end a little, and for better fit (of course.)  Then I boost bass, either with the Ipod or amp setting.  If the green tips attenuate highs a little and accentuate bass, I'll be awfully happy with them.

Jun 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #30 of 86
Supposedly the green filter will be available at a later time for PFE 1xx models. The filters are all interchangeable between the 1xx and the 0xx models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back