Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
May 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #2,611 of 3,305
Quote:
I am also a fan of the grey filters. They provide better detail and bass quality in exchange for bass quantity. Swap to T-130 Comply tips for more bass quantity and tame the highs without using an equalizer (if preferred). Otherwise, a simple equalizer change to the low frequencies with the grey filters should be plenty.

I too was all over the t-130, but lately I find that although they tame the average highs, they sound more swishy in the very highs.  Is it possible mine are getting worn and losing their sound quality?  Or do I really prefer the silicon again?  I want the silicon detail without the small spikes.  I thought the foam had that, but now comparing them they are swishier..  Not sure how else to describe it.  Almost like there is a higher spike or that it softens the main treble too much but not the highest spike?  I have new ones coming in the mail soon anyway, so I should know soon if it's the wear...

May 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #2,612 of 3,305
Well I think I prefer the green filters. I got the grey one's today and had a bit of a play. I think I must be a bit sensitive to high frequencies. They grey filters are so harsh and fatiguing (snare drum in Dire Straits So Far Away = ouch) I have to have volume much lower, so in the end I actually loose detail. I do like the level of the bass with them better though. Maybe if I play around with equalising I could remove the frequency peaks that are bothering me. But for now I will stick with the green filters, except maybe for classical.

May 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #2,614 of 3,305
enjoyed the 232 so much, but the worst thing is sibilance(not bothered so much though), tried black and grey, the grey was the best for everything but sibilance, didnt try the green anyway, any ideas

May 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #2,616 of 3,305
Quote:
enjoyed the 232 so much, but the worst thing is sibilance(not bothered so much though), tried black and grey, the grey was the best for everything but sibilance, didnt try the green anyway, any ideas

The green filters will reduce the treble quantity along with the midrange but I think you should try them out and/or try some comply foam tips.

May 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #2,617 of 3,305
Well I think I prefer the green filters. I got the grey one's today and had a bit of a play. I think I must be a bit sensitive to high frequencies. They grey filters are so harsh and fatiguing (snare drum in Dire Straits So Far Away = ouch) I have to have volume much lower, so in the end I actually loose detail. I do like the level of the bass with them better though. Maybe if I play around with equalising I could remove the frequency peaks that are bothering me. But for now I will stick with the green filters, except maybe for classical.

Try the comply foam tips and put them in as deep as possible with the grey filters. I wear them so deep the housing is almost sideways in my ear.

May 31, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #2,618 of 3,305
Quote:
 (snare drum in Dire Straits So Far Away = ouch) 

PS: try the japanese SHM-CD version of the CD.  Same for many releases (but don't bother with Genesis... no change from US remaster).  This tamed much of the hash and trash even in the SACD Brothers in Arms. Can't listen to it any more.  (There is a new Brothers in Arms SACD coming out that I haven't heard).  I use the SHM-CD versions of all Dire Straits.  

May 31, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2,619 of 3,305
Happy owner of PFE 022 with grey filters and DIY hybrid tips. :) I'm gonna order a second pair just to be on the safe side as Phonak decided to kill the production. At the momment looking for quality phone source for them.

May 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #2,620 of 3,305
The green filters will reduce the treble quantity along with the midrange but I think you should try them out and/or try some comply foam tips.

Well, tried that but still sibilant! How can u make the diy hybrid tips?

May 31, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,622 of 3,305
Quote:

PS: try the japanese SHM-CD version of the CD.  Same for many releases (but don't bother with Genesis... no change from US remaster).  This tamed much of the hash and trash even in the SACD Brothers in Arms. Can't listen to it any more.  (There is a new Brothers in Arms SACD coming out that I haven't heard).  I use the SHM-CD versions of all Dire Straits.  

sacd's are only as good as the mastering, which unfortunately isn't always good.  They still fall prey to compression and such things.

Quote:
I have decored Shure foam and put it into the silicone tips of audeo. You get the sound of silicone with isolation of foam.

Genius.... I need to try that.

Quote:
Happy owner of PFE 022 with grey filters and DIY hybrid tips. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I'm gonna order a second pair just to be on the safe side as Phonak decided to kill the production. At the momment looking for quality phone source for them.

I love my pfe112 so much I recently bought the pfe012 as a backup (same earphone with a different filter).  I plan to buy another filter pack (has 8 grey filters) and some ear guides.  That way I have a backup earphone, backup silicon tips, backup guides and backup filters.  I'm ready for the end. haha  I've never heard anything close to the quality of the etymotic and phonak earphones.  The pfe has more bass and more comfort, so I tend to enjoy them more....  The etymotic er4s is amazing but uncomfortable and less bass...

May 31, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #2,623 of 3,305
I have previously owned 012 for about a year and a half and decided to sell them and look for something different as they didn't actually fit the bill for me. After some time I bought them again. Decided that my main source will be a smartphone so bought 022 and now I'm trying to sell 012. :) In the near future I'm gonna buy 022 or 121/122 depending on the best offer. Now they're mine favourite. I'm not afraid about filters as they, allegedly, are brand new after a bath in hydrogen peroxide. Recently, I've been thinking about HF3 considering their low price in Poland, but comfort and smaller quantity of bass in comparison to Phonaks made me against them.

Speaking of tips, I've used large silicone tips and medium side shure foam. If one uses medium silicones then it'd be better to use small foam.

May 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,624 of 3,305
I have previously owned 012 for about a year and a half and decided to sell them and look for something different as they didn't actually fit the bill for me. After some time I bought them again. Decided that my main source will be a smartphone so bought 022 and now I'm trying to sell 012. :) In the near future I'm gonna buy 022 or 121/122 depending on the best offer. Now they're mine favourite. I'm not afraid about filters as they, allegedly, are brand new after a bath in hydrogen peroxide. Recently, I've been thinking about HF3 considering their low price in Poland, but comfort and smaller quantity of bass in comparison to Phonaks made me against them.

Speaking of tips, I've used large silicone tips and medium side shure foam. If one uses medium silicones then it'd be better to use small foam.
Are you using grey filters??

May 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #2,625 of 3,305
I have decored Shure foam and put it into the silicone tips of audeo. You get the sound of silicone with isolation of foam.

Did u use the same shure size with the same silicone size, do u have to cut the foam a bit at the end

Users who are viewing this thread

Back