Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Nov 27, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #1,891 of 3,308
I got my pair today! I don't think I'm pushing them deep enough inside my ear canal though. Any tips on doing that? The isolation is quite good when I have music playing though. (S9 only on volume 18)

Nov 27, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #1,892 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
Oddly enough I don't remember passing an honesty test before buying the PFEs.

huh?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is that so? I do have some problem with the jack termination. It sometimes doesn't make good contact and the left channel disappears...

Well at least for my case I didn't need to return them. The rubber part of the right cable tore open and I lost all hearing on my right bud. I've been listening to music only in my left ear for the past few weeks or so. I just hope my replacement comes today or I'll be using my old pair for the next 2 weeks until I come back down home after finals :/

Nov 28, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #1,893 of 3,308
I see no major difference in construction other than the strain relief. I'm not impressed with "v1"

plus they shipped the wrong color even though I emailed them twice.

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #1,896 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just making a stupid joke
wink.gif

So anyone has compared how the V1 sounds compared to the old ones?

Oh haha. Didn't catch that
wink.gif
I was hoping they'd be here today but maybe they'll get here tomorrow if they shipped with USPS. If not I'll let you guys know in 2 weeks haha

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #1,897 of 3,308
Just received mine today, white v1. Using the gray filters at the moment, and unless these things need burn in, I'm not overly impressed. The sound seems a tad on the bright side for my tastes, and a bit lean. I may switch out for the black filters at some point today and see what kind of difference I hear. Also, I can't get a good seal with any of the tips. The comply foam seems to be the best bet, but I prefer silicone tips because of how easy they are to insert. I preferred the isolation of the UE super.fi 4 over these.

So I guess "v1" is actually the second version? I've seen people mention "v2" in this thread as well, so I'm a bit confused....

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #1,898 of 3,308
jsplice the black filters help with that, but then later you might want to switch back. It seems like a common thing with these. Also an amp helps them out a lot, even a cheap Fiio E5. Oh and yeah the V1 is the second version V2 was just the unofficial name on here that people used before.

So people receiving replacements, do they let you know or do they just arrive?

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #1,899 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by emofruit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my pair today! I don't think I'm pushing them deep enough inside my ear canal though. Any tips on doing that? The isolation is quite good when I have music playing though. (S9 only on volume 18)

The PFE doesn't go very deep like the Etymotic ER4 for instance. When mine were new I kept trying to push them in deeper.

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #1,900 of 3,308
Just received the new Phonaks, and the cable is much better. It's flexible and feels more durable compared to the older set. I can also tell that these cables won't be hardening as time goes on. So there shouldn't be no more cable cracking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #1,901 of 3,308
Just received my replacement today as well. The cord is noticeably heftier, just by looking at it. It feels very durable and flexible -- this thing ain't cracking anytime soon, if at all.

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #1,902 of 3,308
Well I'm using the black filters now. Bass is improved, but they are still a bit on the bright side for me. If this doesn't mellow out, I will most definitely be returning them. I'm all for increased detail, but not when it sounds artificial or bright. These seem to achieve more resolution at the cost of brightness. I'm currently using them with an iBasso D2.

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #1,903 of 3,308
Can anyone tell me if the treble will mellow out in time with these? Cause man, they are so dang bright that I can't even listen to them, with either the black or gray filters. Comparing against my UE Super.fi 4, they are clearly a more refined earphone, but the treble is simply way too much; so at this point in time, I definitely prefer the Super.fi 4. And I'm not one for EQ'ing...it's just something I don't do.

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #1,904 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me if the treble will mellow out in time with these? Cause man, they are so dang bright that I can't even listen to them, with either the black or gray filters. Comparing against my UE Super.fi 4, they are clearly a more refined earphone, but the treble is simply way too much; so at this point in time, I definitely prefer the Super.fi 4. And I'm not one for EQ'ing...it's just something I don't do.

Unfortunate to here. But it just sounds like the sound signature isn't for you. I myself would take a PFE over the SF4 for the details and overall presentation. But it looks like the brighter, and more detailed highs of the PFE are just not for you. Try to give them a bit of time to get used to and appreciate it. If at the end you really don't like them, then feel free to return them =)

Nov 28, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #1,905 of 3,308
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunate to here. But it just sounds like the sound signature isn't for you. I myself would take a PFE over the SF4 for the details and overall presentation. But it looks like the brighter, and more detailed highs of the PFE are just not for you. Try to give them a bit of time to get used to and appreciate it. If at the end you really don't like them, then feel free to return them =)

I do agree that the PFE overall is a more balanced and refined earphone, but the treble is definitely a bit too aggressive for me. It's a shame because I can clearly hear its advantages over the SF4, but the treble is a deal breaker for me. I am going to be listening to these for 6-8 hours a day at work, so I need something that above all is non-fatiguing, and I think for me, the PFEs would become extremely fatiguing.

In the past month or so, I've established the fact that I will never purchase another new audio component again unless it comes with a risk-free trial period. I've just purchased so many things that I've ended up not liking, so the trial period is an absolute must for me. We are lucky enough to have online companies that allow this, since it's hard to find most of this stuff in local shops/stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back