Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Aug 21, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #1,771 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaosfayt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, i tried the PFEs today with the grey filters and i must say wow, are they frikkin bright xDD , i wonder if the black filters will be better :S

Try to EQ them. For a long time i never found the grey filters bright but since i EQ the upper mids i got to say they were too bright before. Something like -5db around 3-4khz works great.

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #1,772 of 3,305
Aah I can't wait for the new version to come out...can't wait any longer to buy these to replace my broken Shure E2Cs (cable problem). The word of mouth about these IEMs is really excellent.

Does anyone know if the normal (non microphone) version's plug is iPhone 2G compatible?

Also, how's the isolation on these compared to others such as Shures or Ety?

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #1,773 of 3,305
Any news on the updated pfe's?

I was just about to buy them when I read here that there will be an update soon. So I guess I will be waiting for the update.

Hopefully the $20 price reduction means the update is around the corner
smile_phones.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #1,774 of 3,305
Bought what I'm guessing is the non-updated version with the mic for the old iphone. Bought the GF the sennheiser canalphones and considered getting them as well. Glad I splurged on the Phonak's instead, as I was genuinely surprised at how good they sound and how bloody comfortable they are.

They're brighter than everything else I own (I tend to go for a darker sound on my head) but hot damn the isolation and clarity is great. This is the first pair of earphones/iems that I've owned that I've considered using at home instead of full blown cans, or even speakers!

Couldn't be happier with them.

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #1,775 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by essplode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any news on the updated pfe's?

I was just about to buy them when I read here that there will be an update soon. So I guess I will be waiting for the update.

Hopefully the $20 price reduction means the update is around the corner
smile_phones.gif

$119 now with free shipping. Looks like they're trying to clear old stock before Rev. 2 is released.

Hope the sound quality of the rev. 2 will be the same or better...

Aug 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #1,776 of 3,305
It will be interesting to see if change in the materials would have effect on the quality of the sound quality at all. Highly doubt it'll be that much, since I don't think they are changing anything besides it. That's a good thing anyway, since it sounded excellent to begin with.

Meanwhile, Mine keeps trucking along without any problems... use it about twice a week as my second mistress of sorts
biggrin.gif
and love the airiness, accuracy and comfort of it. Just wishing now that I could have a mic so that I could use it with my iPhone better (perhaps when there's the better version out, I'll buy the mic version and sell my current one).

Aug 28, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #1,777 of 3,305
The $119 price is on the existing version. Warranty obviously still applies so if anything happens you get the new version as a replacement.

No changes to the sound signature on the new version (v2) as far as I've been told.

Excellent opportunity to save a few bucks with security of the warranty.

Still looking at mid to late September for v2.

Aug 29, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #1,779 of 3,305
Hi!
could you tell me which dap would be better for audeo pfe?
sony s639f or iaudio 7?
sony -5mW x2
iaudio -26mW x2
i've got fiio e5, but i preffer to not use it if it's not necessary, i7 has more power, but how about good synegry?

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #1,780 of 3,305
I can speak from my own experience that S639 mates pretty well. I like adding bit of clearbass or EQ it a bit to get it adjusted to the sound signature I prefer, since PFE can be bit analytical at times (with grey filters I use at least). S639's more tight and dynamic, and since PFE is bit open, airy and accurate it makes for a good combo.

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #1,781 of 3,305
What happened to the website? What is Ozone?
Ozone Online | Home

Phonak's domain name got taken over, I think.
frown.gif

By the way, how do these mate with the AMP3? I asked the same question in the AMP3 thread, but everyone there is too in love with the stock 'buds to give a direct, unbiased answer.

LOVE my PFE's. What upgrades will be made on the new version?

Aug 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #1,783 of 3,305
Damn, I'm back in "search mode" after losing my Klipsch X5's while on vacation. Just got some SA6's and they are OK but I'll have to listen for awhile to decide whether I like them as well as the X5's. The SA6 seems a bit more airy but with less "body" than the X5. I'm thinking of getting the PFE's, no risk with the return policy, and perhaps another set of X5's, then returning/selling two of the three. Any thoughts from anyone who has heard at least two of X5/PFE/SA6?

Sep 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #1,785 of 3,305
I remember someone here mentioned the fact that the soundstage gets better if you don't insert the tips entirely into your ear canals. True! It feels more narrow when they're deeply inserted, and the imaging isn't as good.

Also i managed to clean the filters with a stain remover, i think it works well, better than water. I just switched to black filters after using the grey ones for monthes. Much better balance
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back