Phonak Audeo (PFE) Thread
Jul 23, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #1,741 of 3,305
i just talked to the people at audeo. it seems like the new version of pfe's are going to have a longer cord but they wont be out anytime before end of august / beginning of september. thats too LONG of a wait!!!!!
frown.gif
. since these guys have a 14 day money back , i finally pulled the trigger and ordered these after hearing the positive feedback on these phones. hopefully they will live up to my basshead standards.

steve

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #1,742 of 3,305
Hi,

I'm almost certain on buying Shure se530, but the rolled-off high/budget increase is what worries me....is the shure really worth $100 more than the Phonak? This is killing me....

Jul 24, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #1,743 of 3,305
Some say yes others say no, I have not heard the SE530 but I have heard the SE310 and The PFE beats it on all fronts. If the SE530 are alot better than the SE310 it really depends on what kind of sound signature/music u like.

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #1,744 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I'm almost certain on buying Shure se530, but the rolled-off high/budget increase is what worries me....is the shure really worth $100 more than the Phonak? This is killing me....

I own both. The Shures have an incredible midrange which is not small thing, and I don't think it's about one beating the other. I'd prefer the PFEs if I had to get rid of one. They play all music well, and they don't have the attenuated high issue which is a big deal to me.

If you listen to a lot of classical, then the PFEs would probably be best, but if listen to rock almost exclusively or jazz, the 530s are very very good and might be better.

For a wide variety of music, the PFEs would be the best all arounders.

Your taste may vary.

As far as the price difference. They should be priced the same as I don't see one being better. They just do different things well.

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #1,745 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In my opinion, the SE530 is only worth its price if you love mids. If you prefer vocals and mid-range instruments to be further back in the mix, or if you tend to drop the mids with an EQ, do not get the SE530: You are wasting your money. That said, I think the SE530's mids are absolutely incredible, and I don't feel the highs are bad enough to warrant not getting them for that reason. But, even though I haven't heard them, if mids aren't that important to you, you are much better off considering the PFE.

Jul 24, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #1,748 of 3,305
I posted here before, but I just got a decent offer on a SE530 a few days ago, so the deal is closer than before....but this is the first time I've spent close to $200 or over in a headphone purchase, so I'm having problems convincing myself that the SE530s are worth buying...

I Listen mostly to:
Orchestral film/game soundtracks (i.e. Dark Knight/Transformers...epic-sounding, sweeping stuff)
Classical Music (i.e. violin concertos/string quartets/symphonies...violin portrayal very important),
Alternative/pop punk rock (Offspring/Blink 182/All-American Rejects)
Mainstream Pop/korean pop (Natasha Bedingfield/Ashley Tisdale)

So a lot of acoustic/instrumental and female/male vocals...NO Rap/R&B/Hip-Hop...but some Trance

Musciality is more important to me than an analytical sound character. I want to enjoy the music, not critique it, but also should have excellent detail/sound quality (using mostly MP3 256/320 kbps and some FLAC)

I think I want clear, extended, crisp highs (non-fatiguing), beautiful, passionate mids, and impactful, but not bloated bass (for the movie soundtrack impact)...something that does dynamics very well too..

P.S: i will be using this with iPhone 3GS and Samsung P3 player, just bought a Fiio E5, probably nothing more (this is a very portable rig)

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #1,750 of 3,305
Just got the PFE 122. Oh. My. God. I've heard a lot of headphones, these are just exactly the sound I always thought was missing from others. They are analytical, clear, detailed across all range of music. I must admit one other thing.. I don't know if it's the ability of the iPhone 3GS to drive these well but the bass is great! Not weak in any way, I was expecting these to sound pretty weak basswise. Nope, it's perfect. You don't need to put the volume anywhere near high to get loud, detailed, sweet sounding music across all genres. Goodness me, I expected great things, and I got them! These sound better than the RE0 no doubt, not even a question about it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #1,753 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't they so much better than your Creative and your ES7? I've had those too.

Hello fellow headphonic member...
Yes they really are. My goodness these little things trump the big cans on all fronts!

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #1,754 of 3,305
Quote:

Originally Posted by akqrate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello fellow headphonic member...
Yes they really are. My goodness these little things trump the big cans on all fronts!

X2
When listening to my Creative and ES7, the PFE are definitely more detailed, refined. I prefer the PFE, with grey, black or no filters. But the ES7 are still nice and have great looks
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back